Jul 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961
Has anybodyused their DX6I with their champ, and if so, what settings do you use?
I use the Spektrum DX6i for almost all of my micro fleet (Embers, J-3 Cub, Um Mustang, Champ). My initial set up for the Champ is as follows:

Full Rate: Aileron 100%, +5% Expo; Elevator 100%, +10% Expo, Rudder 100%, no Expo (Inhibited)

Dual Rate: Aileron 80%, +10% Expo, Elevator 80%, Expo +10%, Rudder 100%, no Expo (Inhibited)

Rudder settings are moot as you are not actually using the left stick for rudder. The Champ is so easy to fly, I use full rates all the time, no need for dual rate. Rudder linkage and elevator linkage set at second hole in from outer most setting. Not sure if that is stock. I'm thinking of changing both settings to gain some increased agility. Great little plane. Had a bad motor, it failed after only 18-20 flights. Replaced it with the UM P-51 Mustang motor.

RD
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jul 18, 2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Correction to number of flights on stock motor.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2010, 12:23 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Not quite finished with it and have not flown it yet but hoping for little wind tomorrow. Without having read this whole thread I'm assuming all those 120mah batteries I've got for the cub and um mustang will work ok...except for flight time of course...? I've added stacks up front, moved the tail wheel to the body and added struts. The floats I used for the um cub should work fine with the champ. Wheels are also larger.
Jul 18, 2010, 08:52 AM
The building never ends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianufo
Not quite finished with it and have not flown it yet but hoping for little wind tomorrow. Without having read this whole thread I'm assuming all those 120mah batteries I've got for the cub and um mustang will work ok...except for flight time of course...?
Yes, 120 mAH cells will work fine. Expect flight times to fall somewhere between the Mustang and the Cub. Very nice mods, BTW.
Jul 18, 2010, 01:59 PM
Incorrigible
Quote:
Not quite finished with it and have not flown it yet but hoping for little wind tomorrow. Without having read this whole thread I'm assuming all those 120mah batteries I've got for the cub and um mustang will work ok...except for flight time of course...? I've added stacks up front, moved the tail wheel to the body and added struts. The floats I used for the um cub should work fine with the champ. Wheels are also larger.
Really liking those DuBro wheels, I could probably ROG from my driveway with those.
Jul 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
Just gotta mod. it
Thanks, but they are not DuBro, they are from a 2 channel B-52 plane from radio shack. these are DuBro...lol, a little heavy but if they work I have others of the same size but lighter. Stock wheel in the center.
Jul 18, 2010, 09:09 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
Here are dubro's, part # 150wm If I recall, 2.15g per wheel, 1.5 inch tall:

~Kev
Jul 18, 2010, 09:50 PM
Elfi Flyer

"Mustang" your Champ

After changing out the stock motor for the UM P-51 Mustang motor, I noticed a slight to moderate increase in performance. I stayed with the stock prop, and only changed to the Mustang motor because I had one on the shelf and it fits the Champ gearbox. However, along with this motor came an increased appetite for battery mAh's. Translation: the Mustang motor would eat a 130 or 150 mAh Lipo rather quickly, usually within 7 - 8 minutes of moderately aggressive flying, hitting the LVC. So, I figured I would do to the Champ what I did with the Mustang......go with a 240 1S Lipo, either the HK Zippy, or the Hyperion 240 1S. The photos show the Zippy 240, but the way to go is with the Hyperion 240's. 12-14 minutes of spirited flight before LVC. Modifiction is rather easy, just enlargen the battery "tray" via the use of a sharp X-acto knife, and shave the leading edge of the landing gear former slot, and you are good to go. With a stock Champ motor, the 240 1S Hyperion Lipo should provide some good extended flight times. The plane is a touch more nose heavy with the battery located as shown, but you could trim the plastic former for clearance and move the battery further back in the "tray". Photos taken when I was trying the HK Zippy 240's. Forget about them, and go with the Hyperion's. What works for the Mustang works for the Champ!

RDS
Jul 19, 2010, 07:50 AM
220 221 Whatever it takes
I was wondering if any one else was having issues with batteries? I have some that charge up ok according to my led on the Celectra but when plugged in they either run for a minute or so or the light in the brick goes out as soon as I throttle up. 2 batt's are e-flite 150's and the others are plain label I bought at a swap meet by the Belleville RC flyers this spring.
Jul 20, 2010, 03:31 PM
Just gotta mod. it
A few more details added,still more to go.
Jul 20, 2010, 04:12 PM
It works, don't touch it.
What are the new eflite 250mah lipos rated for? 15C?
Jul 20, 2010, 04:19 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit
no idea.. I have one, and the label does not say.. So I peeled off the label, and the printing on the pack itself does not even say..

I do know that 15 minutes at full throttle does not even warm it up, and leaves about 115mah in the pack.. My flights are generally 30-40 minutes at under 50% throttle on this pack though..

~Kev
Jul 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede
no idea.. I have one, and the label does not say.. So I peeled off the label, and the printing on the pack itself does not even say..

I do know that 15 minutes at full throttle does not even warm it up, and leaves about 115mah in the pack.. My flights are generally 30-40 minutes at under 50% throttle on this pack though..

~Kev
Thanks darsiede! I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet. Well it sounds pretty good to me though whatever the rating happens to be.
Jul 20, 2010, 10:40 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit
Probably. I have the Tenergy 250 mAh Lipo, and it is rated at 15C. Most of these batteries are probably produced by the same manufacturer, thus similar specs. I use the Hyperion 240 mAh Lipo's in my UM P-51 Mustang, and more recently in the Champ (with Mustang motor). The Hyperion is about 1 gram lighter in weight, and narrower at the connection end. Not sure what the "C" rating is for the Hyperion. Haven't tried the Tenergy 250 on anything yet. Will have to try it on the Mustang.

RD
Jul 21, 2010, 01:52 AM
Just gotta mod. it
can't stop moddinnngggg....lol it's going to be a long 2 weeks off also went with larger tailwheel.
Jul 21, 2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
can't stop moddinnngggg....lol it's going to be a long 2 weeks off also went with larger tailwheel.
That thing is really looking sharp.

Tony

Quick Reply