Jun 09, 2010, 05:19 PM
Ordinary Average Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
does it climb any better?
Oh yeah. I believe the expression is 'like a homesick angel'.

It has TONS of extra power. I rarely go over 50% throttle, even for takeoffs. It easily climbs at a 45 degree angle and reaches treetop level (60-75') in mere seconds.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2010, 06:27 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Definately better than stock champ - maybe I'll pick up a UMP51 motor for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xC0FFEE

It has TONS of extra power. I rarely go over 50% throttle, even for takeoffs. It easily climbs at a 45 degree angle and reaches treetop level (60-75') in mere seconds.
Jun 10, 2010, 04:55 AM
What package dear?
Quote:

Have you noticed any difference in flight times?
Jun 10, 2010, 09:01 AM
Ordinary Average Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack
Have you noticed any difference in flight times?
Not really. A Turnigy 160 will hit LVC in about 12 minutes, but I usually only fly for 6-7 minutes before changing batteries. I also give the plane a 1-2 minute rest to let the motor cool before taking off again.
Jun 10, 2010, 09:40 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
How is the gear meshing with the p51 motor? Is it the same gear box?

Quote:
Not really. A Turnigy 160 will hit LVC in about 12 minutes, but I usually only fly for 6-7 minutes before changing batteries. I also give the plane a 1-2 minute rest to let the motor cool before taking off again.
Jun 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
The building never ends!
Quote:
How is the gear meshing with the p51 motor? Is it the same gear box?
All the Parkzone/E-flite/Horizon Hobby 8.4mm motor-powered planes use the same pinion and spur gears. Since the Champ already has the UM Mustang prop, dropping in the UM Mustang motor will give the Champ a full Mustang powerplant. And yes, it will draw more current than the Champ's milder-wound Sukhoi motor. You'll lose some of the versatility in batteries, since the 110 mAH class cells will be overdrawn in high-throttle bursts, and the 120 mAH cells pushed to their very limits.

Fortunately, as the Champ usually flies on the wing, you don't need the higher throttle that the Sukhoi and Mustang demand. I'd only put an UM Mustang motor into my Champ if I needed more power for onboard video and aerial photography work.
Jun 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Okay

I wonder how ump51 motor, GWS 5043 prop and Hyperion 160 or 240 would fair?

Pretty good I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy
All the Parkzone/E-flite/Horizon Hobby 8.4mm motor-powered planes use the same pinion and spur gears. Since the Champ already has the UM Mustang prop, dropping in the UM Mustang motor will give the Champ a full Mustang powerplant. And yes, it will draw more current than the Champ's milder-wound Sukhoi motor. You'll lose some of the versatility in batteries, since the 110 mAH class cells will be overdrawn in high-throttle bursts, and the 120 mAH cells pushed to their very limits.

Fortunately, as the Champ usually flies on the wing, you don't need the higher throttle that the Sukhoi and Mustang demand. I'd only put an UM Mustang motor into my Champ if I needed more power for onboard video and aerial photography work.
Jun 10, 2010, 10:07 AM
The building never ends!
Quote:
Okay

I wonder how ump51 motor, GWS 5043 prop and Hyperion 160 or 240 would fair?

Pretty good I bet.
Let's just say that if the wings ever fell off while you were in the air, you'd probably still be in pretty good shape...
Jun 10, 2010, 10:12 AM
Ordinary Average Guy
Yes, the P-51 motor in my Champ is a bit of overkill... but using less throttle is always an option. The extra power is nice to have in the wind, and is useful for climbing above treetop level very quickly.

I wouldn't bother with a 5043, myself. I have one that I could put on... but the P-51 motor and prop is already way more than the Champ needs, and the wide blades of the 5043 would ruin the scale looks.
Jun 10, 2010, 11:06 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Lol I will more than likely try it; as long as it doesn't ruin the brick it's all good. Over in the other thread one member was saying that with 5043 prop he was hovering and pulling out of it lol

improvement for sure.

QUOTE=0xC0FFEE;15286271]Yes, the P-51 motor in my Champ is a bit of overkill... but using less throttle is always an option. The extra power is nice to have in the wind, and is useful for climbing above treetop level very quickly.

I wouldn't bother with a 5043, myself. I have one that I could put on... but the P-51 motor and prop is already way more than the Champ needs, and the wide blades of the 5043 would ruin the scale looks.[/QUOTE]
Jun 10, 2010, 11:23 AM
Occupying RCG
Everybody knows that if ya wanna go faster, just paint it red!

And put duals on it, of course.
Jun 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
Ordinary Average Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump
Everybody knows that if ya wanna go faster, just paint it red!

And put duals on it, of course.
LOL! Of course!

I love the look of your painted prop. I might have to do that on mine.
Jun 11, 2010, 06:30 AM
Occupying RCG
Quote:
LOL! Of course!

I love the look of your painted prop. I might have to do that on mine.
Lite, dry coats is the key. I only painted the front. Red tips courtesy of a fine point Sharpie. Took all of 10 minutes, and makes a nice difference when at rest. Might have to try and come up with a "wooden" prop, as well.

If you have some 1/16 aluminum tube and a fine tooth file, you can do the exhaust pipes in another 10 minutes. It's all good!
Jun 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
Tried fixing my wing with some bamboo splints inside the foam, foam-safe CA, and then some clear tape on top. Seems to have worked out OK. Now, need good weather for a flight test...

I was rather surprised just how well (and how rigid) the repair seems to be. Didn't expect that with "foam". Now, need to see if it can survive loops!
Jun 12, 2010, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve
Was flying my Champ this AM. Coming out of a power dive into a loop, and just BARELY hit the upright of a soccer goal. Tore the right wing off at the root. The rest is still attached to the fuse, but the right wing ripped off.

Can I CA it back on? Will it be strong enough to take loops, etc?

Anyone take the wing OFF the Champ yet? Is it glued on or taped or ??

Wasn't ready to start (re)building yet, but I'm out of choices...

Suggestions?
I used 5 Minute Epoxy...It's like brand new...Aerobatics no problem. Usually when I shear a wing, like on my Playmate, I use Uhu Por, let it get on both break surfaces, pull them apart, put them back, pull apart once more, put together and they are GLUED!...Then rub a little bit more Uhu on the crack and put a strip of tissue over it. Do both sides of the wing. Rub it down smooth while the Uhu is wet, if you wait and it gets tacky, use some spit on your finger and rub it down. I have had Playmates back in the air looping in 20 minutes.
Last edited by Brent Slensker; Jun 12, 2010 at 01:36 AM.

Quick Reply