May 16, 2010, 05:47 PM
NaN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming
Question.
I don't see many Fox using stock DX21 sticker, should I keep to ship this sticker or I need to change another design?

Ming Lou
I'd prefer a G registration, which is a G followed by a dash then four letters - e.g. "G-ANDY"

like this:

to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hi -- What aileron and elevator throws are people using? Thanks.

-David
May 27, 2010, 04:58 AM
I flew my Windrider Fox for the first during last weekend and I must say it really is a superb foamy glider.
I read ever post on this thread about the plane , some good comments and some not so good.
I ended up building the Fox pretty much as standard, I used woven tape and covered the wing and this is really strong there is virtually no flex in the wings. I used 3x0.5mm carbon flat embedded into the ailerons, then covered in tape.
The cg was set a 2" back and for some this is way too far back but for me I can only say the little Fox rocks !
Winds on the local mountain were 20mph for the first flight and the wee Fox was really dancing in the winds and big lift.
Sunday and Monday I flew here on the beach on the North Coast of Northern Ireland, winds were 10-15mph. If anyone has ever tried flying from the bottom of a cliff , well it is really fun.
Roll rate is amazing for the wee glider again I read this was not the case, 4 point rolls are a blast and snap rolls are easy to perform.
Ming you have a great plane and I treasure mine !
Thanks everyone for the thread and there tips and help.

Richard
May 27, 2010, 05:57 AM
Slope Sauce
Nice to hear you found a good match Richard. I only flew my Fox once in stock, minimal-tape mode before I decided to build it up. That one time I flew it, I would estimate a wind speed of 20-25mph and it was a blast to fly and I had no issues with roll rate. My only problem was the massive flex in the wings. In any case, my one hair raising flight (and some videos I've seen) were enough to show me the same potential you discovered. So many people have enjoyed the Fox in low wind but I suspect those who have disliked some qualities may have had a poor setup, didn't fly in high enough wind or both.

I've been dragging my feet on my rebuild but it's almost done and I can't wait to get the Fox back in the air.
May 27, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Trees, you will really enjoy the Fox ! I covered the wings completely with woven tape , one thing I did do wrong was not to sand of the little moulding nipples. This leaves some air bubbles in the tape. Anyway she flys lovely and I am more than happy.

beach rc gliding crash (2 min 29 sec)

Richard
May 27, 2010, 11:48 AM
Slope Sauce
I'll be covering mine with laminate which avoid the nub issue. Good to hear you gained so much rigidity from the tape. Beautiful beach! Looks like the lift was light but fun no less.
May 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hi Trees, working from the bottom up is difficult but great fun. The beach is 8.5 miles long and its very propular with North Irish people.
Thanks for the kind reply.

Richard
May 27, 2010, 12:19 PM
NaN
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard boyd
I covered the wings completely with woven tape
I'd like to see a close up photo of the taped wings. Is it hard to keep them flat when you tape them? They're very flexible towards the tips so it looks like it would be easy to warp them.
May 27, 2010, 12:35 PM
DS will change your life

Fox

Windrider FOX, hand launch (1 min 38 sec)

RC. Windrider Fox. Lowflying, too low. (1 min 13 sec)
May 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Andy, I mounted the servos into the wing ( I cut holes to leave the servos flush), then applied the tape to the length of each half of the wing, bottom side first. I trimmed the tape around the edges and freed up the ailerons ( starting from the rear aileron and working forward towards the leading edge)
I flipped over the wing to the top side and started from the aileron again.
I folded over the tape on the leading edge and wing tips.
Make sure your ailerons are working freely !!!!!!!!

Richard
May 27, 2010, 03:07 PM
NaN
I'm having trouble picturing that, Richard. Does it look like a zig zag?
May 27, 2010, 03:14 PM
Can I ask what were your aileron and elevator throws? Thanks
May 27, 2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dno264
Can I ask what were your aileron and elevator throws? Thanks
Hi dno264,
Aileron throws are set at 60 degrees with 65% expo.

Richard
May 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Andy,
I started from the aileron trailing edge and worked forward
making 10mm overlap on each strip of tape.

Richard
May 27, 2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard boyd
Hi dno264,
Aileron throws are set at 60 degrees with 65% expo.

Richard
Thanks.

Quick Reply