Mar 27, 2010, 08:12 AM
Just an rc junkie
Finally got to play with my dx450 again. just outside the house here a few times while I experiment with the modified rc gyro. I am going out today for some 5th scale car and bike action though with a group.. I'll try and remember to click the video on when we are running. always bring the camera but get into playing and forget all about video
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2010, 10:27 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Saturday morning, today, lovely sunshine, we went to our huge 1/5LS track.
Tomorrow there's a 1/5LS race to be held along with our RCGT, their heats will be mixed. So, I took my son and our Sprints, we ran a few batteries alongside the 1/5's that were there also for practising, we tried the new SpeedPassion Supercharger program on my son's HW 120A ESV, he didn't really like it, we reverted to his old settings, then I took out the bike and braved a lot! I ran it alongside two or three 1/5 cars and a couple IC 1/10's.

There were fortunately a lot of times I was alone on the track for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time, so I enjoyed it a LOT. My son, Jason was standing in the middle of the track, occassionally marshalling for me and others, but mostly he took a LOT of videos! In the end I realized I ran the bike for FOUR 3200/3300 lipos, each of them netting at least 20 minutes!!!

I'm still running the brushed 27T Trinity motor on gearing suggested by Steve Newey, which seems very appropriate for this huge track (almost 17.5T RCGT fast!), Futaba S3003 servo, Corona 3-channel 2.4Ghz module/receiver on my old and trusty Futaba FF3 (T3UCP).
Next week, I will finally upgrade to a sensored HW 60A SD v2.0 and a Nosram 13.5T, again with SN's suggestion on gearing.
Next, but after Easter, will be PMT tires. Now running soft rear and med front GRP's.

Videos are being processed right now, plus a few pics, Jason took. Will be upped in youtube shortly!
Mar 27, 2010, 02:14 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Today's video!

KP09e at FRT Track (5 min 29 sec)
Mar 28, 2010, 06:15 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Today, after our RCGT race (don't ask how I did!!!) I ran the bike again for two complete batteries (20+20 minutes!) A friend had a radar gun with him. He measured it at 47km/h (that's almost 30mph, I think) at the 55m straight! Not bad at all, considering the electronics are as I wrote in just the previous post, and the gearing is 61/18, while the chain sprockets are stock KP at 30/11.
Not bad at all!
Mar 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
Didn't use the bike butt....
Well guys I took my r/c pocket bike conversion out of storage to ready it for the coming season. I am looking at creating a better drag (scratch) bar system then those two simple bolts that stick out on the side. I am thinking of building a removable 3/4" CPVC system that will really protect the fairing on the bike and are easily replaceable when worn out.

I had a nasty surprise tho today when I removed the seat to access the electronics to check everything over. My original fuel line has broken. Going to change that out for actual automotive fuel line hopefully by the end of this week.

Chris.
Mar 29, 2010, 12:43 PM
I'm hooked on RC Moto
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh

Dude! That track is awesome! Oh and the driving is not so bad either.

I would give my left pinky finger for a track like that within a days drive of my house.
Mar 29, 2010, 07:08 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Ah yes, I am lucky! This track is about 35km's from home, and the other one we have is about 30km's.
The other one is not so wide and big, but it's more technical and also has wooden kerbs that... hurt!!!!

I also uploaded a few pics ...
You can see the 1/10 IC cars and 1/5 gas cars running alongside the bike, as well... ehm... my close encounters with the fence!!!! Also notice the effects the tumbles have on the metal parts of the bike!!!!

http://picasaweb.google.gr/steliosh1/KP09AtFRTTrack#

Enjoy!!!
Last edited by steliosh; Mar 29, 2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling...
Apr 01, 2010, 01:07 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
I installed the 13.5T Nosram today, along with a Hobbywing 60A V2.0 ESC, just set the lipo cutoff, changed the gearing to something higher and rushed to the parking lot!!!
Well... the speed is phenomenal, at least compared to the 27T brushed that was there till today. However, greater speed brings greater problems to the surface.
The last time on the track the bike would hit 47km/h, as I said earlier. Today, it was a LOT faster, (OK, no wheelies!) and suddenly there was a lot of headshake at that high speed!
I reinstalled the stabilizer and it was gone immediately.

I am in need of PMT tires, though, so I can assess the bike's strengths even better.
I managed to run a 3300/30C battery, and felt very very good!!!
Apr 01, 2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbyphilips

I would give my left pinky finger for a track like that within a days drive of my house.
Yep same here, all I got is car parks or Racing
Apr 01, 2010, 06:19 PM
Yes,

got the shock installed with the HD rear spring again.
Modified RCs Gyro is still setup with only 5 weights. good acceloration, but with the HD spring its pretty bouncy in the yard. i think this would be a great starting point for hard dirt or running onroad. when i took mine to the road a bit, it handled quite well, and turning was pretty good.

Im still really dinking with my steering settings trying to get it setup to feel like i want. Add the learning curve of the bike, and its a slow and tedious process. lol

have to decide if im going to keep running it in the yard or not and maybe install the softer rear spring. Saturday im going to a buddys Track (the one i posted on in Caro), and will take it for a few packs to really see how my mods work out. i have to work with the front shocks as they are still fairly sticky until they start to move, then they work well. I even put the front axle back into a neg castor setup, and it made no differance on the shocks sticking.

will tear them down, and may try some Losi Green Slime inside the help the initial stickyness.
also still need to find a good material to use for crash bars. need a good but not over bearing spring rod of some sort.
Apr 01, 2010, 06:43 PM
What you got to remember is the more oil and grease (whatever it is) will attract the dirt and make things worse, buy the gold option forks work fantastic
Apr 01, 2010, 08:22 PM
thats what i have installed, the Upgraded forks.

my plan is to use the losi slime inside on the orings ect. help promote smooth movement at the beggining of the stroke.
Apr 04, 2010, 03:50 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbyphilips

Having the track at about 30km from home is certainly no bad thing!
However... when driving to the track from home, most of the road to the track is through a twisty, lovely driving road that goes up a mountain pass, then down the other way, and usually there's no traffic at all, and my co-driver is my son... who usually starts "pushing" me with comments like... "you're too slow, lets make those tires squeal", you know how it goes... So, we tend to drive quite... ehm... how to put it... quickly... not that I don't love it, of course. So... my mileage drops to an interesting 10mpg (or something like 20+ lit/100km) which... hurts, given the price of gas has gone up to 1.5 to 1.6 euros per LITER!!!!
It pays to go the rc track, eventually!!!

Mind you, we don't drive any fancy V8 or V12 supercar, just a 200HP 2.0 turbo SEAT Leon with DSG gearbox... that usually gets around 35mpg or 9 lit/100km!!!!!

But, God, it's so much fun!!!!
Apr 04, 2010, 04:06 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Back on the subject, on Saturday we drove to the track (see above, how!) ran a couple of batteries on my Losi XXX-S G. and my son's Sprint 2, to test for next Sunday's Much More Cup, then ran the KP09, this time with carefully programmed ESC and the old tires, of course, since I still don't have PMT's to do proper running. I treated the rear tire with the liquid we use for the TC rubber tire, and it did make some difference for the better...

I'm happy to report that I did only 1 spill per 10-minute session, so my marshalling son was bored! Thankfully, the track had good traction with no pollen on the surface and the bike came back unscathed! I have already replaced two bent bolts, as well...

The 13.5T motor is certainly very fast. It's so nice to listen to it wind up lots of revs in the straights, it's got nice torque out of slow corners, and did the occassional wheelie (thankfully short ones!) out of medium fast corners!
Another 4 batteries ran yesterday!
At first I ran the bike with stabilizer, then realized it doesn't turn as I'd liked, so I removed it, still no headshake, but nice even steady turning. Strange this one: At the parking lot it needs the stabilizer, at the track it doesn't!
I still have to materialize Edi's suggestions on the steering headstock, though.

Unfortunately, though there was NO ONE else at the track, we forgot to bring the SD card with the camera! So...no pics and vid's on this sunny and warm session!
Sorry Folks!

Happy Easter everyone!
Apr 04, 2010, 02:01 PM
Just an rc junkie
Took the dx450 out when the bad weather broke. I have so much fun with this thing. Going to need a new back tire soon
rc duratrax dx450 2s lipo (4 min 21 sec)

durtrax dx450 (5 min 54 sec)

Quick Reply