Feb 25, 2010, 06:42 AM
We can still hand launch it !!
I mount my camera on the bottom of the fuse with velcro which makes the video upside down. Then I edit with Windows Movie Maker to make it right side up (you have to flip 180 and then do a mirror image) I tried turning the camera over but I tend to hit the button when I stick it on which turns the camera off. Out of all the camera angles I have seen I really like this one the best though.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2010, 09:22 AM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFly.
Well I had my first water landing with my T-28 yesterday at the beach,
unfortunately it wasn't planned
For some strange reason(the battery was shifting), my plane and I had a miscomunication, and the plane went in inverted!
I guess it must have been funny to the spectators to watch me stripping down and running into the water to retrieve it!
First thing I did was unplug the battery and then flushed out the electronics with fresh water.
I blew out the water and put the electronics into a container with some drying agent, and waited...
After reassembly, things are checking out ok, but the next flight will be over dry land, until I'm sure things are really ok.
Sorry, no video!

Flyboy,
Let me check my stash, I might have a spare pilot, I'll post tomorrow if I do.
Sorry to hear about your landing. I think you did well to rinse with fresh water.

I had a plane go into a swamp, and I couldn't find it for 2 weeks. (This story has been all around our club and is now very much embellished, but I'll save that for now!) Anyway, I rinsed with water, then denatured alcohol. Everything works fine and is flying again except for two servos which don't center correctly. It's the servo electronics, not the gears
Feb 25, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hello All-

I'm a new T-28 owner who is VERY frustrated/angry/sad, etc.....

I got into flying 1.5 years ago. I started with a SuperCub. I practiced and practiced each day (alone). I was really proud of myself when I was finally able to drain both of my battery packs w/o a crash.

I then upgraded my Cub to digital. I bought a DX5e that I still use. I then began to have problems due to trim/setup issues and I started crashing again. I got frustrated and I stopped touching the plane for 6-7 montths. I then purchased RealFlite Basic and practiced every night for many weeks.

In the last two months I bought a 2 new planes; A Corsair and a Trojan. I love them both, but I still have been crashing- a LOT!!!!!! I started getting some help from a veteran flyer (at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale, CA). This really helped a great deal and I was doing much better with the Trojan, but I had a bad battery a week ago and I had a nasty crash.

I repaired my planes and thought everything was fine.

Last night I took both of my planes to the flying field and crashed both of them badly.

I was soo pissed- I was almost ready to chuck all of my (~$700) gear into the trash.

My Trojan was pulling REALLY hard to the right and when I tried to land it after a 60 second flight- it came in too hard and broke apart.

Then I tried to fly my Corsair and it fly nice and level, except that the nose was very heavy and it kept wanting to dive.

I turned it around to land it and it dropped hard on approach.

I talked myself into going to my LHS and buying a new fuse and wing for my Trojan. I did this because I have glued it back together soo many times that I feel that I should start from scratch.

I will glue my Corsair back together and try to get some help with finding the correct CG.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Feb 25, 2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konamack
Hello All-

I got into flying 1.5 years ago. I started with a SuperCub. I practiced and practiced each day (alone). I was really proud of myself when I was finally able to drain both of my battery packs w/o a crash.

I then upgraded my Cub to digital. I bought a DX5e that I still use. I then began to have problems due to trim/setup issues and I started crashing again. I got frustrated and I stopped touching the plane for 6-7 montths. I then purchased RealFlite Basic and practiced every night for many weeks.

In the last two months I bought a 2 new planes; A Corsair and a Trojan. I love them both, but I still have been crashing- a LOT!!!!!! I started getting some help from a veteran flyer (at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale, CA). This really helped a great deal and I was doing much better with the Trojan, but I had a bad battery a week ago and I had a nasty crash.

Last night I took both of my planes to the flying field and crashed both of them badly.

I was soo pissed- I was almost ready to chuck all of my (~$700) gear into the trash.

My Trojan was pulling REALLY hard to the right and when I tried to land it after a 60 second flight- it came in too hard and broke apart.

Then I tried to fly my Corsair and it fly nice and level, except that the nose was very heavy and it kept wanting to dive.

I talked myself into going to my LHS and buying a new fuse and wing for my Trojan. I did this because I have glued it back together soo many times that I feel that I should start from scratch.

I will glue my Corsair back together and try to get some help with finding the correct CG.

Couple things:

- I crash a lot, too. It's part of learning. Sucks, but true.

- Actually, I crash less now, but I'm really good a "rough landings".

- Crashing rattles me. I get pissed, then I get squeamish about taking my next bird up. Even seeing other people crash give me the wigguns a bit.

- Re-building is an inescapable part of this hobby. I used to hate rebuilding, because I was frustrated with having a crash in the first place. But I've reached a zen state about it. Over time I discovered that I enjoyed tinkering on the work bench. To the point where I started building balsa birds. I'm not retired, so I can't fly every day. But I can tinker at the work bench for 15 minutes every night. Whether it's a build or some repairs, I enjoy that too. It calms me down, much the way beer used to!

- Good call on the new t28 fuse. Been told that after you glue them together several times they get out of alignment. Just bought a new t28 fuse myself. Had a great landing lined up until a basketball hoop pole lept out and snatched my trojan out of the air.

- Hang in there. And stick with it. This is a fun hobby and I'm really glad I got into it.
Feb 25, 2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Hello All-

Hey Konamack,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations! I just started trying to learn to fly heli's and it seems to be going about just as good...I am definitely honing my repair skills.

I also fly the Corsair and the T-28. I love them both. I noticed that you are using the Dx5e, are you using it for both the planes? That could be part of your frustration. My understanding is that you have to re-trim the Dx5e each time you switch models...Is that correct? Maybe even need to reverse different servos? If so, that means you are never flying a properly trimmed aircraft at take off which could cause the symptoms you list above. My advice would be to bite the bullet and get the Dx6i. After that I would have an experienced flyer help you program in the right sub-trim settings to make the different models fly like they should. After that all you would have to do is select whatever model you want to fly on the radio and you will be good to go. I know that the new radio will set you back a few bucks (you can purchase the transmitter only for $150) but it will save you a lot of frustration and money spent on spare parts.

Good luck!

-Peter
Feb 25, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hey Slappy!!

Venting is allowed....glad you got that out I'll bet
I've found that venting to the wife only gets laughter but I think most people here will understand your pain

I am also a self taught fly boy
at one time my facebook status read : Fly - Crash - Fix - Repeat
I have gotten better but still crash on occasion
at least the T28 seems to be very crash friendly
I just purchaced my first replacement fuse and will be flying it soon
Hang in there and just keep flying
CJ
Feb 25, 2010, 12:19 PM
Z-8
Z-8
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPete01
Hey Konamack,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations! I just started trying to learn to fly heli's and it seems to be going about just as good...I am definitely honing my repair skills.

I also fly the Corsair and the T-28. I love them both. I noticed that you are using the Dx5e, are you using it for both the planes? That could be part of your frustration.
I crash too often too, made more frustrating because I have a lot of flying time in real airplanes. Flying an RC Cub is way harder than flying a real jet. It's a fun but tough hobby, sometimes I think you need a lot of money to continue.

What else are you going to do?
Feb 25, 2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Hello All-

I fly a lot, but don't crash a lot. Mainly because I fly higher and WELL within my means!! I have some good landings, and some bouncers! I also try and give my planes a good looking over. Sounds to me you need to find someone to fly your planes with your gear, trim them out for you. Then get some buddy box time. Someone with more expierence can REALLY help you out and they love it to. Also good when you solo, have someone there to adjust the trims for you while you fly the plane. A friend has been flying for 4-5 years and he will still ask someone to help with the trims if the plane is being a handful.

On a t-28 I just sold, The new owner and I buddied up on 2 flights. He's learned something about the plane. If he leaves the battery where I marked it, just eyeballs the surfaces to see that they are flush before each flight(all a t-28 needs IMO), and he is aware of a few trim settings if needed, he knows the plane will fly nicely because he's been at the controls and seen it.

Stick with it and move off the SIM and get some real person help!

On fixing the fuse and such, as long as the foam did not crush, you should be able to repair it many times. I think I have one the nose has been glued on 3 times. Maybe a couple trim clicks but nothing major.

Good Luck!!

Rob
Feb 25, 2010, 12:26 PM
Z-8
Z-8
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofans
Looks like you added a lot of weight Z-8.
Probably. I didn't do a before and after on the scale because I flew it a lot before finding all the foam stress creases. I have some glue in other places too, so I'm not sure I can weigh just the mods.

The wooden skewer mods are pretty light so I think they are definitely worth it if one is lucky enough to keep flying the model for a while.

The PZ T-28 is a great model that can take a lot of punishment, but it definitely wears out too.
Feb 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
Z-8
Z-8
Suspended Account

Super Tigre .10 in the PZ T-28

Ok, so I got the $24 ST .10 into my T-28 and flew it today. First reactions:

- Pretty easy to install. You need to use 4 aluminum tube spacers since the engine is so small/stubby, then you have to drill 4 holes to match the T-28 mount in the included aluminum bracket, and finally you need four 1.25" length x 1/8" diameter bolts to pull it all together. I should have sliced my own spacers to length, but I used pre-cut tubes I had laying around. They eyeballed right, but turned out to be about an 1/8" too long. No problem, right? Wrong. The front face of the ST .10 rubbed against the front of the cowling. Rather than redo, I cut a hole big enough in the cowling to surround the ST .10. I actually like the way it looks, the front of the .10 engine has big holes showing the the copper coils. It has that "radial" look. Cooling has to be better this way, too.

http://www.supertigre.com/electric-p...ric-main-2.jpg

- The engine provides noticeably better performance. I don't know how much is due to more thrust and how much is due to less weight. The thrust feels a little bit stronger. If I had to characterize the overall performance gain, I'd say 20%.

- ST recommends a 30A ESC with the .10, so I hoped for a drop-in engine replacement with my 30A T-28. But the stock ESC is getting really hot, and the plane jitters after a lot of full throttle toward the end of the flight. I think it is from servo flutter. That is using the stock prop. The ESC cuts in and out out when I install my GWS 10 x 8 x 4 prop, which ran fine on the stock motor.

My guess is that it is pulling just a few more amps and my ESC is pushed to, or just beyond, its limit. Oddly, the ST .10 manual recommends their 30A ESC, but the engine spec sheet lists "Max Surge Current: 33A"

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Z-8; Feb 25, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Feb 25, 2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjoey42
Hey Slappy!!

Venting is allowed....glad you got that out I'll bet
I've found that venting to the wife only gets laughter but I think most people here will understand your pain

I am also a self taught fly boy
at one time my facebook status read : Fly - Crash - Fix - Repeat
I have gotten better but still crash on occasion
at least the T28 seems to be very crash friendly
I just purchaced my first replacement fuse and will be flying it soon
Hang in there and just keep flying
CJ
Actuually it was Konamack who was venting. I was just offering advice. Along the lines of yours. Just want to make sure your moral support goes to the right person.
Feb 25, 2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
I have some good landings, and some bouncers!

This line defines perfectly where I am at skills wise with my t28 and corsiar, both. I have some greased-in, beautiful powered landings. Others I bounce in like a basketball. Learning how to keep the bird powered all the way in. With 3-channel floaters and slow flyers, what I learned on, you can just plop them down. Not so with these faster, heavier birds. So yeah, baby steps!
Feb 25, 2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you all for allowing me to vent/ and for the great advice.
Feb 25, 2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappySF
Actuually it was Konamack who was venting. I was just offering advice. Along the lines of yours. Just want to make sure your moral support goes to the right person.
Woops !!
MY BAD

I'm the guy who always flunked from not reading the whole question (hehe)
Feb 25, 2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8
No problem, right? Wrong. The front face of the ST .10 rubbed against the front of the cowling. Rather than redo, I cut a hole big enough in the cowling to surround the ST .10. I actually like the way it looks, the front of the .10 engine has big holes showing the the copper coils. It has that "radial" look. Cooling has to be better this way, too.

We run into this on the Turnigy motor using the turnigy prop adapter. Remember the cowl it straight on the fuse, but the firewall/motor is pointing down and to the right. Long shaft and a collet style prop adapter and you can leave out the hole. I just make it bigger!

Quick Reply