Dec 01, 2009, 05:10 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
yeah, i saw a sign there about losing the field. the only thing i wish it has is nice grass for belly landers.

i accualy got to fly wade's B-29 at vegas this year. sweet flyer, needs flaps big time though. sure is pretty in air. wade is a great guy.

heres my spit...flys incredible. i did a total re paint on it. in the process of changing retracts, and power plant though. got real tired of fiddling with the gear box.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...5&d=1257008851

yeah, im pretty stoked, its always been a dream to fly. i think he payed around 1.5 mil for it. yeah, i dont even want to know how much a 1 hr flight cost. he has like 3 other airplanes. great thing is, couldnt be a nicer guy. some of those guys with warbirds are all stuck up. keeps it at chino. great great guy.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2009, 09:00 PM
More Combat Please!
Sounds like a great guy. Most WWII airplane flights will cost you upward of a thousand bucks. I met a pilot with a Texan at an airstrip in the San Juan islands where he kept it hangered. Tried begging him to take me up in it (he'd been flying it all day), but he wouldn't do it.

I got a great Travelair biplane right out of another guy at the same field though. Cost $300 for me and the wife to go up in it. Great open air cockpit with goggles, huge radial engine out front. Flew all over the San Juans and Seattle area, it was fantastic. I tried getting him to do a roll or loop, but he wouldn't.

What I'd really like is to fly in a Spitfire though (in a feeble attempt to keep this thread on-topic... sorry guys). I just think the elliptical wings are something special. This'll be my second spit, first was the Hyperion. Wanted to do something bigger like the ESM, but all my planes lately have been huge and I wanted something I could fly at the local park.

Your Spitfire Repaint looks SaWeeeet! Good job!
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Dec 02, 2009 at 04:23 AM.
Dec 02, 2009, 04:30 AM
More Combat Please!
If I said ...

"Pretty Please with Lipos on top!"

... would somebody measure their Spitfire spinner for me?
Dec 02, 2009, 09:24 AM
215.0 MPH
Mine is on it's way. I will build for 1500W-1800W, I don't think 900W will fly it well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
this is a pretty sweet looking bird! aside from the large stab, and wide gear placement, it looks pretty damn good. i have the .50 P-51. still need to put it together. i got a turnigy 50-55-700. plan to run 4s 5000 and keep the weight decent, and shoot for about 800-900W on a 15" prop. we'll see what pitch that ends up beeing, probably 15x12 or so. looking forward to seeing your progress. i will say, even though the 51 feels a tad porky, the build quality is real nice. built like a brick crap house. great for the price. i hear the 51 flies sweet, so iom looking forward to the spit. should be a beaut.
Dec 02, 2009, 11:53 AM
this is a pretty small model. im flying a 13 lbs thundertiger bearcat at 1650W, and it has great performance. i think it may be a little exessive at 1500W at 6 lbs...even for me...a watt nut! of course there was my 900W 160mph gws P-51...but thats another story!! the P-51 has been flown pretty well in the 600W range. 900-1000 should be pretty sweet without being stupid overpowred. but by all means...let her rip! would be interesting to see how fast it would be at that power level. id be pretty happy with about 95-100mph.
Dec 02, 2009, 12:04 PM
More Combat Please!
Love the way you think, Corsair Nut. I seriously can't imagine a GWS P51 doing 160 mph!!! I gotta see a video of that!
Dec 02, 2009, 12:15 PM
yeah, nothing like a 900W 32oz model. it was STUPID fast. sold it, guy still flys it all the time. check out the "RB-51 RED BARON" p-51 thread in the GWS forum, you may have to search for it. it did 150mph on 800W with a old 4s pack, on my newer packs, it was making 925W bursts on a 8x6E prop. put my 900W 145mph alfa sabre to shame when id fly them on the same day. got another gws corsair ill probably run the same setup in, and do another "super corsair" last one went like 115mph on 500W.

hmm...450w/per lbs.....
Dec 02, 2009, 12:42 PM
More Combat Please!
Dude. PM me with the setups (motor,esc,packs,prop) on the P51, and what you plan on doing for the corsair. I've got a GWS corsair sitting on the shelf I've never built because some guys locally were racing them, but I went to the races and they seemed so boring (really slow setups), but if I could get one going that fast inexpensively, I could see that being a fun weekend project.
Dec 02, 2009, 02:10 PM
its about a $100 setup. all HC stuff. ill try to get ya some links and pm them to you.
Dec 04, 2009, 11:38 PM
The Spinner is 3 1/2"

(mine arrived today...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change
If I said ...

"Pretty Please with Lipos on top!"

... would somebody measure their Spitfire spinner for me?
Latest blog entry: Czech Mate Motor/Cowl
Dec 05, 2009, 12:32 AM
More Combat Please!
Thanks DJ Moose. I hate flying warbirds with anything less than a 3-blade prop.
Dec 06, 2009, 12:00 AM
geez, im a idiot!!! when i told you i got a 50-55-700kv, i was wrong. what a dope. i was way off! its a 42-50-700. getting ready to install it in the P-51 tonight.

man, got to tell you, i striped the covering off the P-51 wings, and MAN, they are NICE!!!! talk about quality. ive seen less quality from much more expensive models. well done cmp. man, i just may have to get a spit sometime. it looks pretty sweet right from the box. a budy had the P-40, but said it flew pretty badly. ive heard good things about the P-51, and i hope the spit is good too! seems guys like the cmp zero as well.
Dec 06, 2009, 12:19 AM
More Combat Please!
Yeah, it's a nice plane, but the wings are one of the reasons these 50 size CMP planes are so heavy. They sheet the whole wing except a tiny bit out at the tip, and it's not light wood. I got my Spitfire and it looks like the wing is built just as heavy as previous planes. Of course having a heavy fiberglass fuse adds a ton of weight too.

I figured you were smoking something with that 50-55-700kv motor, since they never made one. I used the 42-50 in a smaller spitfire, the Hyperion, and it smoked. Lemme know how it does on the P51, I assumed it'd be too small for this plane, but maybe not.

The nice thing about the Spit is it's the first RC Spit I've seen with a nice scale nose, which is very short. The down side is it has a nice scale nose, which is short and gonna need a LOT of weight to balance. The manual says it needs a good 250 grams in the nose of lead weight in order to balance with a standard gas engine. I guess there's no reason to skimp on motor with this one, that or I've gotta get the batteries literally right in the nose behind the motor.

I love how it came with the retracts already installed. Heck, even the canopy is pre-cut and the control surfaces were already all attached with the hinges, no need to cut the hinge slots or anything.

I've only had maybe 5 flights on my P51. Not my favorite plane, though it did fly well. It's just heavy, so it comes in pretty hot, which is why I modded mine with flaps. They do help, but they also added more weight.

I'm curious to see what you do with the paint job on your Stang. PM me when you get pics!

cheers
Dec 06, 2009, 12:40 AM
im going to prop for about 800-900W. should fly the model pretty nice. just compared the 42-50-700 specs to e-flite motor, looks like its the same size as the power 32. bummer. almost same kv too. just flew a buddy's e-flite T-6(did the maiden, flies great with a little reflex in the ailerons to avoid tip stalls, had a power out, and landed fine...even with the scary slow last left turn!!! :O i was waiting for it to tip stall, but never did. you sure can put it in a good spin when your trying though! :O ) id guess it was about 5 lbs, and flew pretty nice, but he had a small prop on it, and most have been only making about 650W, maybe. if i come out around 6.5 lbs, ill be fine.

thats whats funny though, my P-51 wings feel REAL light! they must be using better wood now. they are pretty dang strong too! im going to be concious of weight, and it will have scale size flaps(so the ail gets cut down) ill be posting pics in the P-51 thread when its done. i may use chrome monocote, and go for the polished look! of course i will tone it down with scotch brite though. dont want it to look cheasy. heres what im going for though....how sick is THAT!!!!!

also, i plan to run a 4800 4s, to try to keep the weight decent.
Dec 06, 2009, 01:04 AM
More Combat Please!
Wow, that'll look great!

You know, if you cut the flaps in right where the current aileron's end, it works out perfectly. It's not that far off of the real thing, not enough that anybody would notice. Maybe 25% off is all. Plus, I love having lots of aileron, but if you're a scale nut, I know trying to talk out of it will do no good.

There's really no room on the Spitfire to cut in flaps even if you wanted to. The rads on the bottom of the wing would make it a pain, not to mention that they made the ailerons huge. That's one nice thing about the Mustang, doing flaps is easy. I actually cut out my flaps on my P51 and hinged them from the bottom, so when they were up they fit nice and snug with no gap.

I ran 5S 4400 packs on the Mustang and flew with the 50-55 600kv Turnigy. Great power setup, but heavy. I'm considering a different approach for the Spit, a smaller higher KV motor like the 50-45 890kv. Way more KV and lighter, then fly it with 4S 5000s. Small high pitched prop for fast strafing passes is my thinking, 13x101 or 12x12 probably. Have to control the left thumb to keep it from burning up. Will let you know how it goes.

Please let us know how your 42-50 configuration runs, I'm sure everybody in this thread would like to know since they're the same general plane.

Are you going to try mounting to the nose of the plane, or build some other sort of mount off the inner firewall or frame?

Quick Reply