Nov 08, 2009, 06:35 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
I may look into the motor you have,
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2112

Just back in stock today. Unlimited vertical on an 11x3.8SF.

Spent today repairing my warbird after a stupidity crash and some great flights on the Aeroworks Stingray. Back to Slow Fly tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2009, 09:05 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2112
Just back in stock today. Unlimited vertical on an 11x3.8SF.

Spent today repairing my warbird after a stupidity crash and some great flights on the Aeroworks Stingray. Back to Slow Fly tomorrow.
I "Think" this Park 400 will outlast the airframe but you never can tell. The Turnigy motors are good motors, I just wish they would get their stats on the a bit more refined since they tend to slide one way of the other.

I have a Turnigy SK on my Typhoon 2 3D;
TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 35-30 1100Kv / 345w
and it is plenty of motor, but the prop suggestions were off, there is now way to get the WATT output with the suggested prop.

I flew it, the Silo, and the i3D all today, they are 3 different speeds of planes. None of which near as fast as the one you have. Its indoor season, I got to get my slow stuff all tuned up.
Nov 08, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm now 1MikeR
Hey guys, been following this thread for a while and have picked up quite a few good tips here, and have enjoyed flying my Silhouette immensely. It is an excellent 3d learner ship.

However,......Do a quick preflight next time, especially on those funky wood control horns! My elevator linkage at the stab control horn ripped out the hole and resulted in complete loss of control! Looking at the aftermath(stuffed straight in and obliterated) my other wood control horns were still ok, but the elevator control horn was delaminated around the linkage hole area. It was missing all the wood sandwiched in between the two outside layers!

I was doing a inverted spin blender kinda move when I lost all response to elevator at about 50 feet up! I had time to shut off the throttle before it hit the ground and that was it. In hindsight I was thinking the only way to save it might have been to pull out with throttle and knife edge maybe,.... but then it woulda been a challenging landing, though albeit much less damaging!

Anyway, next one will be even better with carbon fiber horns on it!
I've been running a turnigy 2830 1kv blue/red motor with 25 amp turnigy esc,
turnigy 8 gram servo's, turnigy 1000 mah 3s 15c. futaba 6 ch fasst reciever(the new one) 11-3.8 apc prop. Hovers at half throttle and punches out like I wish all my planes would!! Did the hatch mod with mags( the only time i lost it was when it crashed, but is still usable!lol) Gave up on the wheel spats in favor of collers. They jusy keep breaking off,lol.

Well, if i've prevented one plane from an early demise such as mine, it has been worth the time writing this!

Mikeeee!
Nov 08, 2009, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech
Well, if i've prevented one plane from an early demise such as mine, it has been worth the time writing this!

Mikeeee!
Well Mikeeee, I was very lucky <and complained about this a few posts back> that during assembly my Elevator Control Horn started doing the same thing. The problem appears to be that the lazer did not drill through the last layer of the ply fully. When I stuck the z bend through it pealed the last layer outward and then the inner layers just started coming apart. Mine was broke before I finished hooking the rod to the servo. Lawd Dart avoided.

I made repairs to mine and have been monitoring, sounds like a bug in the build too me.

I looked at the Red and Blue version of the 28 30, they are a tad more cash then the Gold ones.

The Spats are just not playing nice. I think it could use a tad talled tires for the ROG and Landing. Other then that, it is WAY to easy to fly, I really like it.
Nov 09, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm now 1MikeR
Quote:
Well Mikeeee, I was very lucky <and complained about this a few posts back> that during assembly my Elevator Control Horn started doing the same thing. The problem appears to be that the lazer did not drill through the last layer of the ply fully. When I stuck the z bend through it pealed the last layer outward and then the inner layers just started coming apart. Mine was broke before I finished hooking the rod to the servo. Lawd Dart avoided.

I made repairs to mine and have been monitoring, sounds like a bug in the build too me.

I looked at the Red and Blue version of the 28 30, they are a tad more cash then the Gold ones.

The Spats are just not playing nice. I think it could use a tad talled tires for the ROG and Landing. Other then that, it is WAY to easy to fly, I really like it.
Well Daoldguy,

I read your post about the wood horn,......after the crash......lol.

I was to busy Flyin her to read the posts after I got her together,lol.

The taller lightweight tires are a must, especially when doing harrier landings.

The flaps help out a little too, on Rog. In stock configuration, the plane is sitting level when on the ground, it can't rotate properly to lift off easily.
Taller wheels and flaps if you have them setup ,cures this!

As far as the spats go,........I've got a set of real looking foam wheel pants that came from a Tribute that should look great on the next one!

Mikeeee
Nov 09, 2009, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Well Daoldguy,
I read your post about the wood horn,......after the crash......lol.
I was to busy Flyin her to read the posts after I got her together,lol.
The taller lightweight tires are a must, especially when doing harrier landings.
The flaps help out a little too, on Rog. In stock configuration, the plane is sitting level when on the ground, it can't rotate properly to lift off easily.
Taller wheels and flaps if you have them setup ,cures this!
As far as the spats go,........I've got a set of real looking foam wheel pants that came from a Tribute that should look great on the next one!

Mikeeee
Isn't that the way it always happens?, after the crash....

Its little quirks are forgivable with all the good stuff it does.

I have yet to see someon who has use the recomended motor <RimFire> on these threads, that motor os low cost compared to a Eflite of Axi, I just wander how it performs.
Nov 09, 2009, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Isn't that the way it always happens?, after the crash....

Its little quirks are forgivable with all the good stuff it does.

I have yet to see someon who has use the recomended motor <RimFire> on these threads, that motor os low cost compared to a Eflite of Axi, I just wander how it performs.
I used the Rimfire 28-30-750 because I already had one which is close to the 28-30-950 recomended by the manual. Also used a Castle Thunderbird 18 ans a Hyperion CX 3s 850 25c battery. I had to go to a 12x3.8sf because of the lower kv. It performes very well with this combo. Check out the video I posted of the Silhouette on floats on page 6 of this thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ast+guy&page=6
Nov 09, 2009, 06:31 AM
[QUOTE=Fast Guy;13539052]I used the Rimfire 28-30-750 because I already had one which is close to the 28-30-950 recomended by the manual. Also used a Castle Thunderbird 18 ans a Hyperion CX 3s 850 25c battery. I had to go to a 12x3.8sf because of the lower kv. It performes very well with this combo. Check out the video I posted of the Silhouette on floats on page 6 of this thread.

Ah...I remember that video well, nice work btw. Yes, the 750 would provide more byte, nothing wrong with that at all. It handles those floats very well.
Nov 09, 2009, 07:12 PM
Checked the power on the Turnigy 28-30b. Static WOT was 200W @ 18a with an APC 11x3.8SF prop and 30c pack. That's some serious punch!
Nov 09, 2009, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Checked the power on the Turnigy 28-30b. Static WOT was 200W @ 18a with an APC 11x3.8SF prop and 30c pack. That's some serious punch!
I dont trust their numbers 100%, but when you compare them to like motors, these are somewhat in the ball park.

Model: TR2830-1050
Max Eff: 12A>>>>> Peak efficency is at 12 amps times 11 volts which is 132 Watts, this would be the longest flight times if their numbers are accurate.
Max Load: 14A>>>> Max amps of 14 times 11 volts 154 Watts. This is the typical range for the size and style motor to put out.
Kv: 1050
Weight: 57.9gr
Pull: 400~900gr
Prop: 10x5 or 10x6
Voltage: 6~10v>>>>> 3S lipos are 11.1 volts so 10 volts is odd.
No Load Curr: .9A
Size : 30mm

30C, now that is some battery for a foamie. I have one 25C for a small balsa project this winter.
Nov 09, 2009, 10:03 PM
Maybe not clear, those numbers were my readings on my meter connected to the silhouette. The 11x3.8 prop is overpowering the motor (15A rating), but given that my test is static, then in flight I will not be nearing that, except in short bursts perhaps pulling out of a hover etc.
Nov 09, 2009, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Maybe not clear, those numbers were my readings on my meter connected to the silhouette. The 11x3.8 prop is overpowering the motor (15A rating), but given that my test is static, then in flight I will not be nearing that, except in short bursts perhaps pulling out of a hover etc.
Oh..No question, with that power and throttle management, those higher numbers would seldom be needed. I was more questioning how they <HC> is inconsistant with their numbers.

Reading the feedback "helps" get an idea how the motors run out <often they fall short>, but your static tests shows the motor is more then capable of delivering....And then some.
Nov 09, 2009, 11:04 PM
I'm now 1MikeR
I never did put a watt meter on it, even though i have one. Guess i just had no reason to. 25 amp esc and the 15 c batt and motor were just barely warm after a 9-10 minute flight of mild 3d!
When I get the time I'll put the meter on it and let you know what it is.
My guess is about 130 watts or so.

Regardless, reinforce the firewall with low temp hot glue!!!
Nov 10, 2009, 05:52 AM
Quote:
I never did put a watt meter on it, even though i have one. Guess i just had no reason to. 25 amp esc and the 15 c batt and motor were just barely warm after a 9-10 minute flight of mild 3d!
When I get the time I'll put the meter on it and let you know what it is.
My guess is about 130 watts or so.

Regardless, reinforce the firewall with low temp hot glue!!!
Wise words Between littleoak and just looking at how the firewall was made.... I had the hot glue gun out from the start.
Nov 10, 2009, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Wise words Between littleoak and just looking at how the firewall was made.... I had the hot glue gun out from the start.
Hot glued around the motor mount this morning and flew 3 packs at lunch. No problems, but I did decide to gently land in nice soft knee length grass, which gave me no issues.

Great flights in 10-15mph winds, maybe the slightly bigger pack helps with stability here. I still have the 750's for when conditions are calmer.

Rolling circles and harriers were a blast heading into the steady breeze.

Quick Reply