Feb 11, 2009, 04:39 PM
I love my ID.
Thread OP
Discussion

F4U-1A Full fuselage Corsair

Wing span: 12 3/4" (324mm)
Power System: Plantraco GB03 Gearbox (5.25:1)
Control: Rudder/Elevator/Throttle
AUW: 17.2 gram (with 90mah bahoma battery)

I am looking for the lightest way to paint the model. Any suggestion will be appreciated. The plane is made with 1 sheet of 0.025" Durobatics and 2mm depron.

I will add the flying video later.

Thank you for looking.
Last edited by jingjingjing; Mar 21, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
Very nice build. Congratulations!

Where did you get the plan?

Frank.
Feb 11, 2009, 05:22 PM
I love my ID.
Thread OP
Thank you for the encouragement. I develope my own plan from 3 view drawings with sections of fusalage in 3D CAD software.

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/f4u4_2.jpg (3 view source)
Feb 11, 2009, 05:52 PM
Diver-driver
Very very nice hope she flies as well as she looks !
Feb 11, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have used craft store type water based acrylics with good results. An airbrush is best. I've never weighed a model before and after paint though. Some paints can be bought "airbrush ready" ..

Very nice model...

Randy
Feb 11, 2009, 06:50 PM
Try testors Model Masters Navy Blue-Flat, covers nice and actually doesnt add any weight, test first as I have only done it on depron
Feb 11, 2009, 07:27 PM
igi
igi
Easy Glider
Your Corsair is looking very nice. I happen to have built the same plane. Mine is made from 3mm wallfoam. Only the cowl is 0,5mm Depron. Span is 33cm, AUW 22 grams. Like yours it is scratch built from a 3D drawing, exactly to scale (only the tail is 10% larger). At first I used actuators for rudder and elevator, but found it unflyable due to a pronounced unstability in the longitudinal axis. After converting to RC1 muscle wire servos for ailerons and elevator it flies nice, but still needs a lot of control input. Also I found it necessary to swap the GB03 motor for a GB07 to get enough power.

As for painting I used watercolors which I applied with a brush. panel outlines were done with a fineliner. It's stand off scale at best...
Last edited by igi; Feb 11, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Feb 11, 2009, 08:21 PM
Headed to Naval Flight School!
igi and jingjingjing, both of your F4Us are 3ch, correct?

And jjj, considering you know what you're doing , how long did it take you to build this one?

Very beautiful models...both of you!

Thanks,
PC49
Feb 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
Very nice work gentleman.
Feb 12, 2009, 08:14 AM
Both Corsair are works of art!! Very nice!

Greg
Feb 12, 2009, 04:41 PM
igi
igi
Easy Glider
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49
igi and jingjingjing, both of your F4Us are 3ch, correct?

Yes, it is ailerons, elevator and throttle. (Plantraco servo Rx)
Feb 12, 2009, 04:45 PM
Are ailerons hard to put in the gull wing design? Thank you.
Feb 12, 2009, 05:36 PM
igi
igi
Easy Glider
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49
Are ailerons hard to put in the gull wing design? Thank you.
Well yes, that is the reason I used 2 servos, one for each aileron as you can see in the picture. Those 1 gram muscle wire servos are not very powerful so there is no way to use a single servo and complicated linkages.
Feb 12, 2009, 05:49 PM
I appologize. I missed that picture. Man, those Tokis are light and have a large resolution, but man do they take up some surface area! I hope you can tame her.

-PC49
Feb 12, 2009, 06:23 PM
I love my ID.
Thread OP
Thank you for the compliments. I have heard about Airbrush ready paints in the local club meeting. It sounds a lot lighter than Tamiya Acrylics. Though, I need to see how well it sticks to the foams. Anyone tried enamel paint? Since enamel is not water based, it might stick to the foam better and thinner coat can be applied easily.

Igi, nice corsair you got there, it is always nice to see the airplanes in color. I like the smooth transition between inner wing surface and outer surface in your corsair. It sounds like you had twisted wing problem.
I always tried to avoid forming airfoil by bending the flat surface. I just donít trust my eye and hand on that skill. For airplane like corsair, it is even harder because of the two bends on the wing

Pipercub, It took me about 40 hours on design and 10 hours on building. Building does not take much time, since I do all the fitting of equipment and durobatics cut out pattern in the computer program.

Quick Reply