Feb 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
Discussion

Pocket PC PDA Programmable Radio

I wrote this PDA software for this inexpensive 6 channel radio. The PDA software provides the same functionality as the PC software that comes with the radio allowing me to only carry my Pocket PC to the field instead of a laptop. I created a new thread as the original one has a few different dicussions on different topics: Another new 2.4GHz system!

The software is setup for Aircraft use only right now (sorry Heli people).

System Requirements:
-PocketPC 3.0 or higher PDA (NOT older Windows CE devices)
-Arm Processor (Ipaqs)
-I486 Intell Processor (Dells)
-PDA Serial Port (Ipaqs, Dells, not sure about the rest)
-PDA Serial Cable (Not USB)
-$15 DIY Custom Serial Cable (Build Log Starts about here )

Features:
-All the usual stuff
-3 Mixes
-Model Memory (400 bytes each) only limited by PDA memory
- My Ipaq 3650 has 20Mb free = thousands of models, YMMV
-The software is Free to use, share, distribute, but no commercial use.
- Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States

Quick How-To:

1. To use the software you'll need the custom cable to go between your PocketPC Serial Cable and the Radio. Build logs mentioned show a few different ways to build these. If you can solder servo wires you should have no problem building a cable. If you don't need the PDA serial cable for anything else you can build the cable in one piece by wiring the level shifter directly to the PDA serial cable.

2. Download and install the software. In the zip file there are the setup program and the install files for Arm and Intel based PocketPC's. The setup will detect which to use.

3. Plug things together and run the MyTXProgrammer that was installed in step 2.

Screen Shots are attached and operational explanation is next.

Embedded VB Source code is here.
Last edited by waqa; Apr 17, 2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added Mode Screen
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2009, 10:52 AM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
Operation of the software is fairly simple:

When the program starts it defaults to connecting to the PDA's Serial Port (Com1 on most PDA's). If it fails to connect you'll get an error message and you can change the Com setting and click the Off-Cnx button. The program will remember the port setting.

There are 2 LED's near the lower center:

Chan []
Pgm []

Then Chan LED indicates whether the software is receiving channel data from the radio. It will turn green once a good link is established, usually about 1-5 seconds.

The Pgm LED indicates that the software successfully downloaded the program in the radio. It will turn green as well, usually right after the Chan LED does.

If you want to use the software without the link running you can click the Off button which will disconnect the channel data stream and allow you to adjust settings and send the Pgm as you need to. the Pgm button will send the radio program from the PDA to the radio. Most settings will also be sent to the radio as you change them and the Mix screen has its own Pgm button so you can push the program down to the radio as you modify mixes.

The screens are designed to use finger adjustments. The screens with values and the scroll bar and buttons at the bottom allow you to tap on the value needing adjustment and then use the scroller and buttons at the bottom to change the value.

You can open and save model files to any location on the PDA. If you sync your PDA with your desktop these files can be backed up to your desktop PC as well (check your actvivesync help on how to do this).

If you are using ActiveSync with the serial cable you'll need to shutdown ActiveSync on the PDA as it will not allow the MyTXProgrammer software to use the serial port. You can shutdown ActiveSync on the PDA by going to Settings-System-Memory-Running Programs.

If you have any questions feel free to post them or PM me. I think I got all the bugs out and will be sure to fix any I didn't find quickly.
Feb 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
Up in smoke!
Great job waqa,

Now I want to go buy my own TX and make a cable to attach to my iPAQ. Of course I really don't need another TX, but at this price it is hard not too.

BlueFFF
Feb 11, 2009, 12:09 PM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
I really didn't buy the radio for the TX, I bought it because I like the $14 price of the Rx's , and yes I have 8 of them plus and extra Tx just in case. I just needed to make the radio usable in the field so I could enjoy the low cost receivers. I only build and fly foamies so this radio really works great for me as I'll take up to 5 birds out to the field. Not having to pull and plug receivers is nice.

Cheers.

Oh, and to all the 'Don't buy cheap naysayers', I didn't buy it BECAUSE it is cheap! I bought it because it DOES EXACTLY WHAT I WANT at a PRICE I LIKE. The Tx is not perfect and the small things that have come up are easy to correct. I do not compare it to any name brand radios. And yes, I've range checked the 5 receivers I've used and they all checked out good. I have never had a glitch in over 20 hours of flying, both in various city and country locales with and without the extra receiver attached. I added a Lipo for the Tx and it lasts for weeks before needing a recharge (and yes I have a proper Lipo level meter on it).

Ok, now you can try and shoot me down
Last edited by waqa; Feb 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Feb 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
Up in smoke!
I feel the same way. I bought my TrackerIII because it would work with all of my planes and I've been buying these cheap 6ch rx's I found at bidproduct.com for $11 delivered. You can't specify the crystal when you buy them, but with the Tracker I don't care. I just program the plane and enter the frequency of the reciever into the radio. I only wish I had bought a second radio as a spare, because they are no longer available.

Now everything is going 2.4G and I like the idea of not needing to mess with the channel board when I do fly at the local flying field instead of the park. I think I am going to buy a Torborix TX and a few RX's just because of this convienence and price.

BlueFFF
Feb 11, 2009, 06:01 PM
Waqa, great work! In the requirements:
"-I486 Intell Processor (Dells)"

I have a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC H3950 with Intel XScale PXA250 400 MHz. Question is, will it execute your program?
Feb 11, 2009, 10:41 PM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
Waqa, great work! In the requirements:
"-I486 Intell Processor (Dells)"

I have a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC H3950 with Intel XScale PXA250 400 MHz. Question is, will it execute your program?

It should on your Ipaq H3950. It runs just fine on my Dell Axim X30 which has a PXA270.

M
Feb 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqa
I added a Lipo for the Tx and it lasts for weeks before needing a recharge (and yes I have a proper Lipo level meter on it).
Thanks for sharing your work on the PDA software but the quote above really caught my attention. Can anyone point me to the best threads on making up a lipo Tx battery with a proper level meter? Can you charge them through the jack on the Tx?
Feb 12, 2009, 02:29 PM
Inventor&Genius Extraordinary

Nice Job Waga

i made a software for a Palm OS few years ago for a Digital Ignition System for a Mini ATV(quad). i did use a software call NSBasic, very easy to use however take lot of memory.
my question is what software you use to write you application:
Microsoft CE software or NSBasic for CE or some thing else.
Nice Job
Best regards tito
Feb 12, 2009, 04:11 PM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune by tito
i made a software for a Palm OS few years ago for a Digital Ignition System for a Mini ATV(quad). i did use a software call NSBasic, very easy to use however take lot of memory.
my question is what software you use to write you application:
Microsoft CE software or NSBasic for CE or some thing else.
Nice Job
Best regards tito

The software was written using Microsoft eVB (Embedded Visual Basic). It is free and easy to use but is limited compared to regular VB6 and the .NET Compact Framework. The good thing about eVb is it is small and uses little memory. And it runs on vintage PocketPC's where as the .NET Compact Framework only runs on newer versions not the cheap and easy to get Ipaqs I like so much.

I'm a little familiar with NS Basic and think you could do the same thing with it for either the PocketPC or Palm platform. I might use NSBasic for the Palm but so far am working with CodeWarrior in C so it is going very slow

Does your ATV program look cool, does it talk to the ignition system computer? I've always wanted to build my own interface to my Suzuki DL1000 computer so I can adjust the fuel/air mix depending on my location. I had the bikeshop put a yosh box on it to richen up the low end a bit since it was so lean out of the factory it would hiccup alot but it does up in the mountains vs the coast line.
Feb 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
Inventor&Genius Extraordinary
i have try Microsoft eVB (Embedded Visual Basic) but is a problem with the errors i will try again.
yes NSbasic work very good and they have few version, palm, ce, symbian os, Desktop for PC, Newton, i think one of their software work in the IPhone.

About you DL1000 Suzuki, i was a motorcycle and watercraft mechanic for over 15 years, i will recomend you put a Power commander with USB, you can use the power comander with a Palm OS Device and tune while you ride also you can download ton of files from the web, multiple files can be download to the Palm and when you are riding you stop and change the program in the power commander for testing which files work best

about the software for the Atv the Palm OS device will talk with the CDI, the Palm will send information and also can read it back from the CDI Box, after reading the device the software in the Palm will check the database for any change to the file, if the file has change the software will ask you if you want to save the new data or delete it, also you can create files with date, names, keep notes for each unit etc...
Feb 12, 2009, 06:43 PM
Any chance any one can port it to palm os?
Feb 12, 2009, 07:36 PM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
I started porting it to the Palm last week using an old development tool I still have but it is slower going and I will look to NS Basic this weekend for a speedier turn around. Palm's would be better for this app vs PocketPC's, they have better battery life, the lcd would be better for direct sunlight, you can buy a bunch of them off ebay for under $10, and I have 5 perfectly good Vx's and a bunch of serial cables already. My Palm IIIc gets used daily and my daughter still uses hers for school, I've always been a Palm fan, hated to see them get dismantled. It would be nice to give these a new life.
Feb 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune by tito
i have try Microsoft eVB (Embedded Visual Basic) but is a problem with the errors i will try again.
yes NSbasic work very good and they have few version, palm, ce, symbian os, Desktop for PC, Newton, i think one of their software work in the IPhone.

About you DL1000 Suzuki, i was a motorcycle and watercraft mechanic for over 15 years, i will recomend you put a Power commander with USB, you can use the power comander with a Palm OS Device and tune while you ride also you can download ton of files from the web, multiple files can be download to the Palm and when you are riding you stop and change the program in the power commander for testing which files work best

about the software for the Atv the Palm OS device will talk with the CDI, the Palm will send information and also can read it back from the CDI Box, after reading the device the software in the Palm will check the database for any change to the file, if the file has change the software will ask you if you want to save the new data or delete it, also you can create files with date, names, keep notes for each unit etc...
Thanks for the info tito. Do you remember what data rate your application used to talk to the CDI? I haven't yet tested the Palm's serial data rate and it needs to be able to handle 115Kbps to work with the radio.
Feb 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
have foam, will fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttymango
Thanks for sharing your work on the PDA software but the quote above really caught my attention. Can anyone point me to the best threads on making up a lipo Tx battery with a proper level meter? Can you charge them through the jack on the Tx?
I bought the battery off ebay , it was the only one I could find thin enough to fit in the battery compartment.

For a level meter I wired in one from hobbycity which even has an noisy buzzer if I forget to turn it off. I left it on by accident last weekend for over 24 hours and the voltage still only dropped to 3.8v per cell.

I charge mine through the balance plug. I have yet to make an extension so I don't have to keep pulling the battery cover off. I prefer to use the balance plug as I only charge it with one of these .

Quick Reply