Backpack FPV AP Folding Wings - RC Groups
Feb 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
Discussion

Backpack FPV AP Folding Wings

I've had a google around for any scratch builds of a small FPV platform that could fold down into possibly a backpack style case. Does anyone have any leads?

This is just something that's been in the back of my mind for a while, a small, say 24" tops wingspan with fold away wings that can flick out and lock themselves into place for ultra fast deployment.

The FPV kit's easy now, its just the plane... portable, durable, short range, fast deployment.

Quiet would be good too... though now its sounding like a military RFP...

Cheers,

-c
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Craig

Here was my solution. The wings don't "snap" into place, but all you need to do is put some tape across the top, it only takes 10 seconds to pull the plane from the case, and tape the wing. its 48" wingspan,a little over 24" folded. A plank flying wing could fold a little smaller. 24" span is quite small. How heavy is your camera?
Feb 10, 2009, 04:56 PM
How about this:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882390
Here's a picture of a Hawkeye as a FPV: http://www.electricflights.com/BD_Downlink_System.jpg

- Jeff
Feb 11, 2009, 05:38 AM
The hawkeye in a suitcase -- that's definately on the right track. My only concern is with so much weight, a miss judged turn in a tight area could be expensive to repair - at least in terms of time if not money.

Cool off the wall thinking though -- i think i have my wing design nailed now, i'm going to base it on the hawkeye. One of those pop-up tents would make a few wings spars & material me thinks...
Feb 11, 2009, 07:43 AM
I actually carry my Hawkeye in a knapsack. It fits nicely. I carry everything in that knapsack, the Hawkeye, my radio, camera, downlink, goggles. It all fits and is assembled in a matter of minutes.

- Jeff
Feb 11, 2009, 02:46 PM
the guy
how is the hawkeye as a 2 channel flyer? I would imagine it would be in more people's interest to add an elevator?

Edd
Feb 11, 2009, 09:56 PM
If you watch the videos you will see it really does not need an elevator. I build an indoor kite plane with an elevator and all I used was the throttle and rudder to fly and land it. The key with these type of planes seems to be a large rudder. Even in the forum threads for the Gymallo they guys were enlarging the rudder and ignoring the elevators.

- Jeff