This thread is privately moderated by BennettOZ84, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
Thread OP
Discussion

A life in RC'ing

Well, I thought it was about time that I post something in my blog... heck I read lots of blogs here every day and I figure its my turn. So I will just kind of outline my life so far in the world of RC'ing and how I got into this habit or addiction as you might call it.

Has a young child we all have our "remote controlled toys" such as monster trucks and little plastic robots that seem to tip over when you ran into anything. I remember very well asking my parents for several remote controlled toys as I grew up, and I was also told, "sorry, not this time" It was I believe Christmas of 1989 I was 6 years old and under the xmas tree was an electric slot car track similar to this one here...

I was so excited, and so was my older brother who was 9 at the time. We set up the track down stairs in the basement next to the train station, we would race for hours and hours on end. Of course after months of playing with the same toy things got boring and we took the race track down after a few months.

Growing up my parents didn't have alot of money so when it came to buying the kids "toys" we usually didn't get anything fancy. I can remember a time instead of toys under the xmas tree we got blocks of wood that my father got from a local scrap yard. That same here there was also a set of Link-in-logs under the tree too. Even though it was just scraps of wood I still enjoyed building things from them.

A short while later I got for my birthday a airplane on the end of a cable, when you pressed the bottom on the handle it would spin the prop. I can't seem to find an image online of one of these toys. I am sure some of you know what I am talking about.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=4539903&stc=1

When I was 9 we moved to Oregon so my dad could hopefully start his own business, we sold our house bought a cheap travel trailer and my dad used the money to start his business. a few years after we moved into a house. My father has always had a love for aviation, he has owned two airplanes in his life time and sold them both to fund living and supporting his family. He had a Cherokee and a Cessna 172. He also worked for Frontier Airlines back in the late 70's probably around 78ish. I know whats this have to do with me and RC'ing... My father was who got me interested in aviation and inspired me to continue researching and learning all I could about aviation and flying.

My father got me my first airplane kit shortly after we moved into our new house. It was The SIG LT-40. My father spent so much time building this plane (more than once, lol). After we got this bird in the air I flew it with a trainer at a local RC field in Astoria Oregon, it was called LOCO RC club, Lower Colombia RC club. I was trainer on a buddy box for several weeks. actually I soloed my third weekend on the trainer. I believe I had just turned 11 years old.

After flying and playing with airplanes, I worked for my dad and got my self a Nitro RC car, it was a Duratrax Street Force GP. I burned up so many engines on this car. What great fun. I also had several HPI stadium trucks and a savage later on.

After flying the crap out of the LT-40 my father build another airplane for me, it was the SIG astrohog 60. This was my favorite plane.

This picture was taking a few years after we build the plane, I am 15 here.

The LT-40 and the Hog we're the only two planes that I flew while living with my parents. They we're great airplanes and we still have them hanging out in the hangar at my parents house... with several other planes that need to be finished or built. like a Cessna 182, a Patriot XL, a giant piper cub, etc....

After high school and went to college at Oregon State University, I took a few years off of flying and got back into nitro radio controlled cars for the second time. I got an HPI Hellfire and raced that for a few before selling it along with the savage from a few years back.

I now have an addiction, I have just in my hangar at my house 9 airplanes, 2 nitro helicopters, 2 RC cars, and several projects on the work bench, such as a .15 size biplane, an Aerial photography plane which I want to use to start a business adventure, a mooney 201, a scratch build (inprogress) mudduck type aircraft (.60size). I guess this has been a long drawn out and kind of messy description of my life in RCing, but Its has been a great life so far, and I plane to keep it that way until I cant see the aircraft or cant feel the controller in my hands!
Last edited by BennettOZ84; Jan 09, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2014, 06:15 PM

Nice blog.

Sounds so familiar. Always wanting rc cars. Always getting Legos or tinker toys erector sets blocks of wood lol. So many excuses. I had one or two of those planes too with 2 c batteries in handle. To power the motor in the plane. They were kina cool. Nice blogging.

Quick Reply