This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 10, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mach 10

I've been working on an upscale Mach10 boost glider that Centuri made, I used a cruciform foam fuse and slid the body tube over it, my thrustline is right up the center and the wings are in the center, instead of the offset thrustline, canted upper fin and low wings of the original, but it keeps the look pretty well.

Flew great, glide wasn't really long, but it was very docile. Fuse was flow-through to reduce drag and I didn't need to drop any balast, I kept the top fin level with the wing and just used reflex to keep the nose up during glide.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2009, 08:02 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
Man, you read my mind! I had been talking with wmcneal about making a ducted fan version of this plane!

Any plans, PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE?
Feb 13, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
I've got my templates drawn, so you can get wing/tail and length dimensions from that, however if you do a DF, you'll need to re-do the fuse obviously. I think it looks good with the mid wing, but if you did edf, you could do a low wing, or a spar like an alfa mig. It flies pretty well, although I was bummed out, even the bt101 light body tube I used was light, it still added 3 bloody ounces to the overall weight, I think you are much better off doing a rolled depron tube. My auw rtf with 1320 pack without tube was about 10 oz. It still carries the weight just fine with a purple peril and 6x5.5. I'll post the plans as soon as I can get to it, maybe I can catch up monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
Man, you read my mind! I had been talking with wmcneal about making a ducted fan version of this plane!

Any plans, PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE?
Feb 15, 2009, 03:13 AM
Thread OP
Both Rocket and Pusher turned out pretty well, I rolled into a split ess on the rocket flight to keep it from getting too small in the video camera. I've since upped my elevon throw and moved the CG back a bit, as I was having trouble flaring on the rocket flight due to a bit forward CG and lack of sufficient throw. Works pretty well and looks great, very stable on boost, in fact, my first flight I had a spektrum lockout during boost, came back on about halfway through the rocket boost, but it was pretty straight none-the-less.
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 14, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
Dec 16, 2015, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Went back to this design last night. Rolled a 2mm depron skin over a 4" body tube double thick using 3m-77 contact cement. I then mounted it to a wing, the vertical tail slots through the tube and tabs into the wing and lower part of the tube to lock it together. I put a 1" keel on the bottom to stiffen the tube and mount my rail buttons on. it will also protect the servo arms and radio gear from landing damage. I made a cockpit from photo paper and adde some trim vinyl markings for now. AUW empty is 6 oz, with radio and rocket motor it will be 9.5 oz rtf, I don't even think I'll need any balast.

The tube is completely flow through with just a small intake spitter in the front to stiffen the tube and add a bit of detail.
24" long, 32" wingspan, 4.5" tube, wing loading a bit over 5 oz/sq foot.

Frank

Quick Reply