Slope FACETMOBILE - RC Groups
Feb 09, 2009, 09:42 PM
Discussion

Slope FACETMOBILE

So.....

It was raining like crazy here on Saturday and Sunday so I went down to my local hobby shop and lo and behold they still sell balsa wood there!!!! So I bought a couple of handfuls of sticks, went home, got on power point, drew up a planform, went to Kinkos and blew it up, went home and about 6 hours later this popped out! All thats left is to make the elevons (the thought of carving balsa sheet to make these doesnt excite me much any ideas??) make the verticals, cover, install the radio and balance and wait for the next front to blow through Southern California!

I took some pics for you all to enjoy and to ponder. Don't ask me what its called cause I dont have a clue. It is very similar to Barnaby Wainfan's Facetmobile except much higher aspect ration (about 3.5) and a much thinner center body. Should fly great in moderate slope lift after being suitably ballasted.

Anyway enjoy!!!

Cheers,

EW
Last edited by EngineerW; Feb 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2009, 09:57 PM
I want my MoM, again!
Forget what it's called.... What actually is it ?

Barry
Feb 09, 2009, 10:10 PM
I've been snowboarding the past five days. There was 2 or 3 feet of fresh powder up on the mountain today.
Feb 10, 2009, 12:57 AM
Facetmobile
Feb 10, 2009, 01:08 AM
There's a double page plan in the last issue of Model Builder magazine, there's also a scale drawing of the real one approved by the designer himself Barnaby Wainfan and his wife Lynne. First flight was april of 93' Barnaby flew it 2300miles from Chino Calif. to Oshcosh for the Annual fly-In there, in 95' while on his way to a Fly-In in Texas he had to turn back and try to make an off-field landing, he walked away from a badly damaged Facetmobile but had plan's to build a 2 place version using a Lycoming.
Feb 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
Yes as I mentioned in my original post it is very similar to Barnabys Facetmobile except much higher aspect ratio and thinner center body.

I actually had the chance to work with Barnaby at Northrop in the 80s and watched him create the Facetmobile. He and a guy named Don Larsen built the first radio controlled models and they at one point built a 1/4 scale model of it for flight testing.

Before the Facetmobile was designed, We built some paper models of something called the Thing from model aviation. Barnaby went and built a radio controlled version of that and from there the Facetmobile was born. I have seen the real Facetmobile and actually spent the day at Chino while he and his wife were working on the aircraft. Barnaby is a great engineer and it was mostly those memories that lead me to build what you see.

EW
Feb 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
Model is complete. Here are some pics. If the weather is good were going flying tomorrow. Model weighs about 2.5 lbs. lots of wing area so it should penetrate nicely. Enjoy.

EW
Feb 21, 2009, 11:53 PM

nice

hey Wayne

Good luck.
Feb 22, 2009, 12:21 AM
characters welcome!
Totally cool!
A long time ago I found that to get attention at any event one needs not be the biggest, the fastest or the most expensive. It's something different.
Congratulations for the design and build, Edub. Where's the maiden?

Subscribed.

mw
Feb 22, 2009, 09:01 AM
Probably Glider Point in Yorba Linda. I don't know if I'll fly today the winds have been calm last couple of days. Hi Warren! How have you been???

EW
Feb 22, 2009, 09:06 AM

Bummer

Glider Point is closed.
Maybe Temple Hill might be on this afternoon.
Forecast looks bleak here anyway.
Plane looks interesting.

Good Luck with the maiden.

Alan
Feb 22, 2009, 09:17 AM
Why Is Glider Point Closed?????
Feb 22, 2009, 10:38 AM
It usually is this time of year, due to rains. They like to keep the foot traffic down to save the hill sides.
Feb 22, 2009, 10:54 AM

Public Safety

Because they can.
It was closed for four months after the fire...
Look up the rules after a 1/4 inch or so they close the Park for 72 hours to firm up the trails...we have lots of mounian bikers using the park.

Go in and face a stiff fine for trespassing if the park is closed.
The mountain Bikers are harder to catch as they criss cross the hills... Slopers carrying sailplanes and such and the fact your standing in one area makes you easy prey. The rangers are very polite yet firm. Stay out of the park if i is closed...

Hopefully if we don't get much rain it will reopen next week.
The hills are nice and green with the new grass should make for nice landings.

Regards Alan
Feb 22, 2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks Alan,

I forgot about the fires. What a weekend that was. I had my motorhome in the driveway ready to go. Thankfully I wasnt evacuated. I did have some of my daughters friends who were evacuated over. So do you live in YL? How long? I used to fly up at Glider Point all the time in the early 90's and then I had children . I used to fly a big triangle shaped model with a V tail up there. I may build another one of those as it really flew quite well. So how do you know if the site is closed? I assume they post signs.

Thanks,

Wayne