Feb 11, 2009, 10:31 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Hey Dave! Good to see you too! Nice.

Very cool and we should keep subscribed to this thread as the Funcopter takes shape. I really think I need to get one. What a neat thing to have us here after all these years...1 Ezone year is like 3 human years.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2009, 10:35 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
OK, so guys, feel free to post your nostalgia photos. This was January 13, 2003. My new LMH Corona in the works and GWS Tigermoth at the time.
Feb 11, 2009, 10:42 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Photo I took of our good LMH Corona Friend Fred Bronk in Chilliwack 2003!

Oh ya Fred... Remember the comments about the littlle guy dressed like you standing on your antenna. We have to squint our eyes a bit to see it.
Feb 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Sorry Dave, I do not have any photos of your fantastic one-way-clutch! But here is one of Matts CF Frame.
Feb 11, 2009, 10:55 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
... and of course the photo contest submission I sent in, that Matt so graciously provided his excellent CF crutch system to me.

"Molly get rigged up with parachute for a Corona Drop"
Feb 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
Stress Be Gone
According to the new products catalog from Multiplex that I downloaded, the fuselage is EPP foam, not the standard Multiplex Elapor.
Feb 12, 2009, 12:07 AM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Oops. Like Aragon says below.
Last edited by rob mueller; Feb 12, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Feb 12, 2009, 02:08 AM
Stress Be Gone
Ah! You would think they would just say Elapor as they call it that for everything else foam they make.
Feb 12, 2009, 05:17 AM
Gentleman, scholar and acrobat
While we are being nostalgic here are some photos of my Corona taken in October 2002 when I first got it.

Stable enough in the hover even with training sticks for me to put the TX down and take my own snap

The second shot shows the electrics. It still has that original Atomic Force motor after about 120 hours flying. Looking at in on the shelf the only differences I can see are a carbon tube tail pushrod and grimy brush dust all over the crutch -who said electrics are clean? Of course living by the sea all the shiny metal bits are corroded now

Nowadays I would obviously go straight to brushless but it was too expensive at the time.

I hope the tail drive on the Funcopter proves more durable as I was always stripping the gears. I never did get around to fitting a belt drive.
Last edited by Cush; Feb 12, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Feb 12, 2009, 07:35 AM
Here's my old 13 yr. old. Canopy is from a Hurricane 500. Oversized landing gear, which is needed for a trainer heli, is made piano wire and the brackets and runners are made from kitchen cutting board. Motor is a Himax 35 something, label is worn off, Main gear is an idler gear from the Hurricane 500 that I had to make a hub for on the lathe. Depron fin under the tailboom really helps with visibility. If you boogie along at high speed and give it full ail., it will do axial rolls with the best of them. With the extra power of the 1730 Rhino batts., it will come out of a loop at the same altitude as it went in. With TP 2100 batts., half the time it will do a figure 9 into the turf Gave away the rest of the Hurricane 500 to a buddy for parts. Gone through about 8 other helis and this is the only one worth fixing.
Feb 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
Sussex, UK
Quote:
Yeah thats high when you can get a T-Rex 450 with full metal upgrade.
I wonder if anyone will put the new head on a cheap Trex clone fuselage? Or would the blades be too long?
Feb 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Talk about a trip down memory lane... ahh the good old days

My Corona from 2002... even tried flying this from a DC power supply thru a very long power wire. Not a good idea... blew the filter caps on the ESC.

John
Feb 12, 2009, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mueller
Extruded Poly Propylene (EPP) is Elapor.
First off, EPP is Expanded Polypropylene. I've never seen it in extruded form. Second, Elapor is _not_ EPP. Elapor is kind of a mix between EPS and EPP, except it lacks all the durability of EPP. The Funcopter's canopy should be very durable if it doesn't get torn badly.

The price of this kit is a little high so it won't be an easy sell these days. I'm dying to find out more about the motor as that's a really novel idea to saving one from stripping gears.

One major upside of the Funcopter is that it's being made by a much more (globally) prominent company than LMH. I've already got confirmation that we'll be getting them here - awesome!
Feb 12, 2009, 04:15 PM
Sussex, UK
Quote:
grimy brush dust all over the crutch
Excuse the newb question, but which bit of a heli is the crutch?
Feb 12, 2009, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon
I'm dying to find out more about the motor as that's a really novel idea to saving one from stripping gears.
So am I. A direct drive motor means that you could enable the break feature in the ESCs. I wonder if the breaking action would be enough to slow down the rotor and minimize damage if one kills the throttle before crashing.

I'd really like to be able to get my hands on the motor.

Quick Reply