Nov 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hitec really came out strong with the aurora 9 but instead of progressing they seem to have just disappeared. I don't know if it was the latency debate or the beating with the 79 series servos that made them back off.

There was talk about new software for the aurora that would expand the channels like the futaba t8 which can do 14 channels, a new 12 channel + radio, brushless servos etc etc..
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Suspended Account
Another technical question:
Is there a way to get information through the telemetry system on the strength and quality of the signal as seen by the receiver?
Nov 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Is there a way to get information through the telemetry system on the strength and quality of the signal as seen by the receiver?
No. It has been discussed before as useless, by the time you were told you had poor signal it wouldn't matter anymore.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Nov 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
Fast and low...
Quote:
Here you go: RSSI with AFHSS
Nov 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen
No. It has been discussed before as useless, by the time you were told you had poor signal it wouldn't matter anymore.
If the signal were to be lost abrubtly, yes. However, it is useful to know progressively when the signals is degrading. The FrSky system has a audible beep that indicates 3 RSSI states. It's saved me countless times.
Nov 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure
I just replaced a LS slider on my Aurora 9. After entering the factory menu and successfully calibrating the new slider I noticed my right slider only has range of 0-127 from the middle of the physical control to one extreme. My LS has a range of -127 to +127, 0 being the middle.

I had an extra slider on hand, and replaced the old RS exhibiting this odd behaviour. Well, the new slider does this too. I only have half the range according to the calibration screen.

Anyone know what this can be? It doesn't seem to register the lower range past the notch.
No takers?
No one else has had this problem?
Nov 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78
Thank you !
I will try to dig deeper in the issue.
I wish Hitec would put a third antenna on their receiver, in order to cover all the possible angles. We have one spot in our flying field where I already lost 2 scale models due to loss of control.
Nov 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78
Wow that's an obscure web forum.
Nov 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Thank you !
I will try to dig deeper in the issue.
I wish Hitec would put a third antenna on their receiver, in order to cover all the possible angles. We have one spot in our flying field where I already lost 2 scale models due to loss of control.
Which receiver were they using?
Nov 13, 2012, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Both had an Optima 9 receiver - and they were 2 different receivers, i did not install the crashed one in a new model.
The antennas were pointing spanwise and lenghtwise, with none pointing vertically. Both crashes happened when the models were flying downwind, almost in front of me, at medium altitude, and straight and level. Both showed an uncontrollable right hand roll, followed by a spin.
Nov 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
I crashed my Durafly Skyraider two weeks ago and exactly the same thing happened. My antenna were lengthwise one to nose one to tail. I have since flown the same receiver in another airplane with no problems. Did you have a UBEC? I suspected that mine kind of browned out or that antenna touched something metal inside the fuselage. Slow right roll into a double loop death. My fault for not setting the failsafe. I now sleeve all my antenna in jumbo straws glued inside the fuselage. If you can go vertical I would do it.
Nov 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure
No takers?
No one else has had this problem?
Did you do the reset then exercise the sliders as well as the sticks and then center the sticks and slider and click “Center”? That’s all I can think of that might be the problem.

I have two Aurora 9s. One is Mode 1 the other is Mode 2. This is so I can do training if I want to. I just recently calibrated both transmitters to be sure they functioned exactly the same.

I first saved my models then went through the calibration process. When moving the sticks and sliders through their extremes, I moved them to the extremes slowly. I then centered the sticks and sliders and clicked “center” then completed the process and exited the calibration mode. I then reloaded the models and swapped the throttle and elevator J# on the Mode 2 transmitter. The two transmitters are so close in performance that I can switch from master to slave and there is absolutely no twitch or movement of the controls on the plane.

Good luck.

Mike
Nov 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I crashed my Durafly Skyraider two weeks ago and exactly the same thing happened. My antenna were lengthwise one to nose one to tail. I have since flown the same receiver in another airplane with no problems. Did you have a UBEC? I suspected that mine kind of browned out or that antenna touched something metal inside the fuselage. Slow right roll into a double loop death. My fault for not setting the failsafe. I now sleeve all my antenna in jumbo straws glued inside the fuselage. If you can go vertical I would do it.
Sorry to hear that.
Mine were methanol and gas powered, so no UBEC. I have started now using the SPC and an additional receiver battery to prevent any brownout situation.
Your antennas should have a 90 degrees angle between them, if you have one pointing to the nose and one to the tail, they do not have this angle and it may be the cause of the crash.
I will buy your straws idea and implement it in all my planes.
Thanks
Nov 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
That's YOUR opinion.
Nov 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
I have started now using the SPC and an additional receiver battery to prevent any brownout situation.
I really would suspect brown out much more than an issue with antenna orientation. (I've actually tried pretty hard to test issues with the rx mounted in a carbon pod and been really surprised how hard it is to shadow one of the optima rxs.) Hopefully with the SPC and additional battery, you won't see that issue again.

Quick Reply