Feb 03, 2009, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Alert

RC Airship Inventory Sale

Greetings to all -

We have an inventory of operating RC Airships that we are about to offer for sale. I'd certainly appreciate the advise of those using this forum on a regular basis on the best way to proceed.

I'm a few months away from retirement and purchased my airships as a diversion from my real job/life as a corporate balloon pilot. We've enjoyed them but alas there will be no room for them in my next life (on board my new boat).

The inventory has been depreciated so someone is going to snag a fantastic deal ... where and how should I get started (you know, if you were selling these, how would you go about it ?)

You can see the inventory here :

http://www.skystarairship.com/equipment.html

Lets here from you guys, whats my next step ?

Thanks in advance - make all your landings soft - Scotty
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hello there Scott,
First congratulations on retirement, secondly, hold on those beauties.
The current economic scenario will not bring you a fair value on them.
I would personally suggest that you wait until may/june when you have sales, exhibitions, games, shows to raise the value a bit higher.
None the less this is a great forum consisting of a target market who deal/use/ understand LTA.
You should probably list your inventory in terms of hardware ( blimps, ground support equipment, spares) & proprietary knowledge* ( client base, operations report, financial) * Detailed report needs to given only to the buyer.
Add a few more pictures ( blimp flying, gondola, support equipment, rc gear) to get people interested.

List a price range you would be comfortable with.
Then wait probably a week,

Should that not bear fruit, take that as an indicator that all is not well economically, wait till may or june, re offer the pieces individually, and post it also on ebay.

Thats my 2 cents worth again.

All the best.
Raejus.
Feb 04, 2009, 05:39 PM
I see the promo page in your link, but didn't see any specs and prices.
Feb 04, 2009, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
Thanks to both of you for the input, I deeply appreciate the advise.

We initially began using the RC Airships to "plus-up" our ballooning activities (for Coca-Cola). Often times we're done with our hot air balloons by 9:00a.m. and there is still a full day of promotional activity left with no exposure. The airships were a perfect filler ... from a business standpoint that was really our only focus ... we equipped them with cameras and did a few jobs but it really wasn't where my interest was.

I didn't prepare an inventory page with pricing because I haven't gotten that far yet ... we are working on a detailed inventory that will include everything that we intend to sell including batteries, pan/tilt, cameras, truck, spares, radios, monitors, complete systems as well as extra bladders and the like.

Our total investment was something over $60K which has been depreciated down to something less than $30K and we don't want to incur additional tax liability so my plan is to sell everything to that end. I imagine it will end up somewhere between $25K and $28K for the entire lot.

Sorry I don't have more information, but we are working on it as fast as I can.

Again, I appreciate the input and hope more will offer suggestions.

Thanks - Scotty
Feb 05, 2009, 12:55 PM
rc blimp manufacturer

money money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Spencer
Thanks to both of you for the input, I deeply appreciate the advise.

We initially began using the RC Airships to "plus-up" our ballooning activities (for Coca-Cola). Often times we're done with our hot air balloons by 9:00a.m. and there is still a full day of promotional activity left with no exposure. The airships were a perfect filler ... from a business standpoint that was really our only focus ... we equipped them with cameras and did a few jobs but it really wasn't where my interest was.

I didn't prepare an inventory page with pricing because I haven't gotten that far yet ... we are working on a detailed inventory that will include everything that we intend to sell including batteries, pan/tilt, cameras, truck, spares, radios, monitors, complete systems as well as extra bladders and the like.

Our total investment was something over $60K which has been depreciated down to something less than $30K and we don't want to incur additional tax liability so my plan is to sell everything to that end. I imagine it will end up somewhere between $25K and $28K for the entire lot.

Sorry I don't have more information, but we are working on it as fast as I can.

Again, I appreciate the input and hope more will offer suggestions.

Thanks - Scotty
hello how much money did you do per year ?
how many events??

60k is a lot!

you could buy 11 pcs 5m outdoor minizepp's!!!
Feb 05, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
Hi - Give me a couple more days, we're hurrying ... there are a half dozen airships, all the spares, radios, etc to inventory ... The airships were all built by Airship Solutions.

Thanks - Scotty
Feb 05, 2009, 09:22 PM
Scott,
After going through your website, I would suggest that you divide your inventory into smaller units that way you will get a better price for most of your gear, however be prepared to cut a bit of a loss on certain unwanted/ slow moving items. Either as a block sale or via the fore-mentioned way, you will be able to average out your selling price, but this would be a lot faster. All the best.

Reg.
Raejus.
Feb 09, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thread OP

Update / Inventory List Added

Thank You all very much for your patience as my folks prepared this listing for you all to review.

First, a couple things ... We are not interested in selling any of this inventory as anything other than a single large lot. We're simply not set up to deal with that type of sale.

Second, I know we're going to take a loss, (sort of) the equipment has all been depreciated over the past year and a half, which, simply stated means that if I charge anything more than my asking price I will be required to send money back to Uncle Sam against the sale. I'd prefer not to do that.

Third, this was not ever to be a stand alone business for us ... rather, a diversion that I would continue with were I to have the space. These airships are a blast to fly and will allow someone the opportunity to have a business inventory that will get them off to a good start at an exceptional price.

We have established three (3) separate "PDF" files of the listing to make it
easier for you to print and review.

My contact information and pricing information are on the last page.

Thank You all again for your comments. I deeply appreciate the spirit in which you've attempted to assist me with this.

Visit : http://www.lighterthanairamerica.com/inventory.html

to see the listing.

Cheers & Soft Landings to you all - Scott Spencer
Feb 20, 2009, 12:23 AM
Thread OP

Updated On Inventory Listing

It has been suggested that I make it known that the support vehicle included in this package CAN be removed from the inventory purchase as we have
it posted (at : http://www.lighterthanairamerica.com/inventory.html )

Removing the vehicle obviously significantly reduces the packaged price (by 1/3).

For more information please call the number listed on the bottom of the inventory page.

Thanks - Scotty

Quick Reply