This thread is privately moderated by abenn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2009, 03:39 AM
Thread OP
Cool

My blog

I've been flying model aircraft since 1985, when my wife bought me my first model -- a Pilot Stephens Acro That model has never successfully flown, and is now history.

I started properly when I joined Letchworth Model Aeronautical Society (www.lmas.org.uk) and put the gear from the Acro into a Hawk trainer. My models are/were as follows:-

Hawk .25 trainer -- retired long ago due to weight gain from repairs
Flair Pulsar .60 biplane -- crashed and retired long ago
Flair SE5A .48 4-stroke, later converted to e-power -- still flying
Schleppi 1.20 high-wing model -- crashed and retired long ago
Carl Goldberg Sukhoi SU26 previously 1.20 2-stroke; converted to electric in 2011
Chris Foss Xtra Wot previously with 1.20 engine; converted to electric in 2011
DB Sport & Scale 1/5 Piper Cub with .90 4-stroke, later converted to e-power -- still flying
SIG Liberty Sport with .60 engine, later converted to e-power -- still flying
DB Sport & Scale Tiger Moth, e-powered -- still flying
Kyosho Learjet with upgraded power system -- still flying
Flair Magnatilla with .48 4-stroke, later converted to e-power -- still flying
Multiplex Twinstar II with brushless motor conversion -- still flying
Plan-built Blackburn 1912, e-powered -- still flying
Plan-built DeHavilland Mosquito, e-powered -- not yet maidened
Plan-built DC3, e-powered -- several "maidens" and re-builds!
Plan-built depron F15, e-powered -- still flying
Depron Models F16, e-powered -- still flying
Twister Bell 47 heli -- still flying
Align T-Rex 500 heli -- just learning
CMP Mustang P51D, e-powered -- still flying
Align T-Rex 550e 3Gx heli -- new in February 2012

My first-pick models for Sunday afternoon flying are the Magnatilla and, if the wind is too much, the Twinstar II. Other models generally only get an outing if the weather is very good. Conversion to electric power has made this strategy more practical, since I don't have to go through the hassle of trying to start an engine that's been sitting all winter

Just got a Twister Bell Medevac this weekend to add to my squadron First impression is it's much smoother and more stable than the Bell 47. Only downside is the lights dazzle me when I hover nose-in
Last edited by abenn; Feb 20, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2017, 02:37 AM
I'm curious as to what setup you used in your DB Sport & Scale Tiger Moth for the e-power. The example setup DB Sport & Scale link to only has a 4min flight time on it - is that really enough?
Apr 24, 2017, 04:42 AM
Thread OP
Welcome to the forum

My word, I'd forgotten all about this blog. The electric setup for my Tiger Moth is an AXI 4120/14 motor, Jeti 70 Opto ESC, 6S A123 battery, and 14x7 APC E prop. That draws about 45A at full throttle, giving 440 watts, or 77 watts per pound. The motor's Kv is 600, and its peak amps rating is 55A. I fly quite gently, and time my flights at 8 minutes.

It's a long time since I've flown my Tiger moth, and since I wrote the blog I've converted some other of my A123-powered models to LiPo. When I get around to it, for the Tiger Moth I would use a Turnigy 6S 3300mAh pack, which weighs the same as my 6S A123 (saves relocating the battery box). That would require a prop change because of the higher voltage, but would give me about 50% more flight duration because of the extra mAh.

By the way, my Tiger Moth is the larger, 58" wingspan, model. I can imagine the smaller one might be less efficient (higher wing loading) and might achieve shorter durations.
May 10, 2017, 05:59 AM
Thanks very much for your response and welcome!

I was planning on a smaller version of the model due to storage space constraints and because the largest glow power model I ever flew before this was a .15 sized Pronto (low-wing sport trainer). Also they don't seem to have a 58" version on their site any more, only the 48". I'm all for flying gentle as well, but I'd like to be able to throw in the odd loop or barrel roll for fun.

I was bought a flight in a Tiger Moth as a birthday a few years ago and was going to base the colouring and scale details on the plane I went up in. Dark red fuse and silver wings - should look good!

Quick Reply