Jan 28, 2009, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Micro Pusher contest.... Buck Rogers Earth Alliance Fighter

The Buck Rogers Earth Alliance Fighter is my first choice in the Fantasy category

I will be attempting to build a 10" version with brushed motor with Plantraco setup.

For some time I have had my eye on this beauty. Based on the flying speed boats that came out a couple year back I decided this would work along the same lines. I built a mock up of what I thought would work. It was crude and fast to build. The idea was KIS (keep it simple) as I went along. Usually I produce CAD drawings to work things out. In this case I just built it out of scrap because I like the feel of the sculpture, gives me better insight.

I first started with the research on the web for the TV series “Buck Rogers in the 25th century” a show that aired in the late 70’s. Here is one of the links.

http://www.scifi2k.com/buck_rogers/buckrogers.html

Many places where visited to gather the info I needed. I then search for models for details on the starship fighter. Some pix of models I found.

I posted in Foamies (Scratch built) my intension to build some time back May of 2007

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682109

This is when I built the mock up of the fighter. Some pix for you.

Recently, I have come across some free time due to the economy. I was let go after 22 year of employment. I am working on a settlement and looking for new employment. Anybody looking for a good CAD operator? Would like to be in aviation.

I decided to spend time for myself by reading up at RC GROUP on the latest developments on micro designs for my latest development and found this contest for Semi Scale Micro Pusher contest....

This inspired me to re-visit the fighter and build one. I have been playing around with the concept for some time and built several prototypes of what will come to be the COBRA STRIKE on the account of the cot pit view from the top looks like a cobra. The prototypes are serving me the skills I will need to determine the wing configuration and control surfaces mechanisms along with the CG, for the B.R.E.A.F.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2009, 08:48 PM
Micro EDF addict
oh i'm definitely signed in for this one~!!!
Jan 28, 2009, 09:00 PM
Up Up and Away!
reminds of something of starwars!

very nice
Jan 28, 2009, 11:15 PM
Right on!!!!

Just this morning I was pondering this platform! And not by a long shot for the first time, excellent choice! How bout a twin prop? Maybe diff thrust?
I still have the die-cast Corgi version from when I was a (younger) kid. It had retracting wings(flying boat mode?). Also had a Safety bridge from one nacelle tip to the other, to prevent kids from stabbing themselves. Now I wonder if a transparent version of this bridge might serve some aerodynamic purpose(ie., like a canard).
Anyways, good luck, will be watching...
Feb 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
Thread OP

B.R.E.A.F. _ Build the wing

At first I had some concerns with building the cylinders and cones making up the nacelles. I had two possible ways to construct them.
1. Build the wing and incorporate the nacelles into the wing frame
2. Build the nacelles and then add the wing and winglets
I decided to build the wing and nacelles together, this way the wing and nacelles will be aligned. It has been some time since I have done build up construction; after all, this is all experimental at this point.

From the 3D model I printed out the plan to establish the base plate for my wing, and began to cut the parts using the vertical table hot wire cutter I built some time ago. By placing a pin as a guide for the radius, I was able to cut with ease the ribs for the cylinders. Then placing the parts in position I needed to slice the cylinder ribs into pieces, unfortunately this would add to distortion in the final look. The learning curve… I guess adding slots for placement would help. This will be added to the drawings.

I manage to add the skin to the ribs. For the forward cylinders, then I decided to leave a gap between the cylinders to address what look like an intake, I was not sure what or how it would be done.

Next, was making the cones. This was not too hard to do. I built a jig, using a 1mm wire and steel faucet nozzle with gaskets and a collet for locking the jig into position. The wire was pierced through the foam block and then plugged into the hotwire base for the center as shown in the picture. It was a matter of rotating the block foam to cut the shape, this worked out quite well. It was suggested that I use EPP foam for the cones as a crash resistance material, unfortunately this was not available. I am using 1mm CF rods as the guide for all the ribs and will serve as my crash resistance for the cones.

Filling the gap was an interesting dilemma, I pondered with this for some time. My son suggested I place strips of material in place on interval dividing each center. Again this worked well, but now a weight factor is starting to concern me.
Feb 21, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thread OP

B.R.E.A.F. _ Build the exhaust manifold

With weight being a concern, I decided to build with the lightest material possible. My goal was to reduce the mass and give me the look I was looking for. I might be ahead of the game here because I was thinking of the future where the directional EDF will be incorporated for the future version. I am beginning to think at this stake this may not be the best candidate to build to fly on account the weight factor is growing. I will push forward and hope this will work out.

I pondered on how I would reduce the weight and get the final look. For a larger scale this would be easy, but I had to come up with a solution that would work. Here is the concept and I will attempt to build it.
Feb 26, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thread OP

B.R.E.A.F. _ Build the exhaust manifold --- part II

Some times I surprise myself, this did not turn out to bad, but the weigh factor is definitely concerning me for a pusher type design. I may have to pull out of the contest because I can only make this work as a puller at this point, otherwise I will have to counter balance by adding more weight.

I had originally design for several bulkheads internally to shape the exhaust, but as I was putting it together it was harder to achieve the thought. So, some bulkheads where omitted and that worker out just as well. The picture will tell the rest.
Last edited by P2-betterfly; Feb 26, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Feb 27, 2009, 05:27 AM
lud
lud
Making mischief in the air
would a couple of those lil micro outrunners help in the weight / CoG issue ? and still allow you to keep as a pusher ?

nice build either way ....
Sep 01, 2009, 11:27 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Looking very nice. I too love the Starfighter. A while back I made a flat plate test bed with the idea of building a scale version later. It flew pretty well but the ship needed a front landing skid. The CG was so far forward that the motor also had to be mounted on the front.
Last edited by GO-RC; Sep 01, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Sep 02, 2009, 09:46 AM
Inciting Riots
I had an estes twin motor rocket of that 30 years ago, it was supposed to glide down but every time I launched it it would come down like a lawn dart. Didn't last very long. It was small and I think it used 1/2A motors.
Sep 02, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Go-Rc
Is your version using eleron and elevator controls only. I have been experimenting with elevon mixing. I saw your video and found it inspiring. I do plan to go further with this one. Right now I have been working with smaller scale. The CG is tricky with these, especially when working with pusher types. Need to balance by adding weight to the front and the last thing you want to add is weight. A challenge, I have some ideas I'm working on.
Sep 02, 2009, 07:10 PM
Yes I used an elevon, elevator set up. It worked great. Dual rudders would be very easy to add. Still got it laying around in the project pile. I do like the lines of that ship.
Check out this two seater from the show, abondoned on a lot somewhere.
Last edited by GO-RC; Sep 03, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Sep 04, 2009, 09:26 AM
This was idea I had for a pretty good size ship
Sep 05, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
In your drawings the nacelles are pointing inward. For me this would create unwanted drag. I do not think my information is reliable other than extracting from the toy models, but they are parallel to each other and I would think is would be better. I also had problems accepting the suggested wing thickness the original craft is to have, and so it was my intent to fake the geometry to create an illusion of the original look. Something like your "Fifth Element Taxi" I thought that was cool.
Sep 06, 2009, 11:06 AM
Ya I had the same thought. I too straightened the nacelles and widened the central wing surface to help with lift and allow the prop to fit between them. Once fully assembled I felt it would give enough of a scale appearance and increase the performance.

Thx the Fifth Element Cab was fun. I just had a major problem getting her to balance on the CG with the motor placement and all the foam i had on the back of it .

Quick Reply