Dec 08, 2010, 05:16 PM
I lost count of all the Scorpion motors/ESC's I have in planks and helis. Probably 15+. I love every one of them and they're worth every extra penny. I've seen posts of high heat but crazy power from the large heli versions though. I have 3 2221-8 and 1 2221-6 Scorpion for my 450 helis. I flew the -6 for less than 2 minutes and the power scared the crap outta me! Immediately went back to the -8 and even that's still too much for me in my Beam E-4. In the 500 sized bird I want no more than sport flying power. That 1300kv version may fit into my plans as well.....

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2010, 05:48 PM
Barnwell, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
I've seen lots of posts with excessive heat complaints for the 1800kv Typhoon version. Yours is the first for 1600kv. I plan to run 12T pinion and 30C batteries from the start as I don't care about 3D performance. I really hope I won't have to spend megabucks to get a reliable motor.....

Joe
I have an 11T pinion on the 1800Kv version in my HK500 and it runs much cooler than the Align motor did in the Trex500 I had last year. I have mounted this one

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9764

in the EXI500. I just got my esc in the mail for that one and hope to finish it by the weekend.
Dec 08, 2010, 07:51 PM
Not a six pack
Quote:
I flew the -6 for less than 2 minutes and the power scared the crap outta me! Immediately went back to the -8 and even that's still too much for me in my Beam E-4. In the 500 sized bird I want no more than sport flying power. That 1300kv version may fit into my plans as well.....

Joe
I'm using the 1300 with 8S but on 6S it would have a pretty low headspeed. Probably great for sport or scale.

I have the -10 on a 450 and it does indeed have a lot of power. But for $18 I also have a hobbypartz motor on another 450 and it does really well too. Maybe not as much power but certainly not a big enough difference as their price.
Dec 08, 2010, 08:11 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
i remember reading on another forum that one of the 500 class motors by scorpion eats bearing very regularly.
a guy a fly with has one as well, i cant remember the model number though.

i just bought the turnigy H 3550kv (500w) motor for one of my 450`s.
i may buy a scorp-8 for 51 shipped new off ebay for one of the other 450`s, but want to see how the turnigy works out first.
rocket, what hobbypartz motor for your 450 are you talking about?
Dec 08, 2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfenn
I have an 11T pinion on the 1800Kv version in my HK500 and it runs much cooler than the Align motor did in the Trex500 I had last year. I have mounted this one

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9764

in the EXI500. I just got my esc in the mail for that one and hope to finish it by the weekend.
Look closely. That's the same exact motor in the pictures I just posted. I sincerely hope you have better luck with yours.....

Joe
Dec 08, 2010, 08:41 PM
i had the 4400kv version of that motor, got it off ebay cheap.
the case wasnt held on with any kind of clip, you could pull it apart real easy. the motor was green, like the color of turds.
the motor is called a e450, the bearings and magnets went south with in a week.
it had the same little oval sticker on it, now everytime i see that sticker i laugh. i cant find the motor im talking of on ebay anymore, i wonder why?

found one, http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Brushless-Mot...item27b552b3a4
Last edited by bad400; Dec 08, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Dec 08, 2010, 11:08 PM
Not a six pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400
rocket, what hobbypartz motor for your 450 are you talking about?
I use it on a 4S setup with regular 325 blades. 1800mah 4S.

This 2700kv ducted fan motor
Dec 09, 2010, 03:14 PM
Tried 'Search'???
Quote:
I dug around in my T-Rex 450 parts box and found a couple of .004 shims that work. Not sure what they went to but at least I've got 'em. Next bummer is that those Align 500/600 ball links I got yesterday are 2mm and the EXI rods are 1.6mm. Looks like another trip to the hobby shop today and hope they have the Align link rods in stock. Still no word from Value Hobby about my motor either. Maybe I ought to shelve this bird for a while and get back on that plane I was working on before I got this thing.

Joe
Hey Turbo,
sorry, clean forgot about the 2mm - 1.6mm thing. Peed me right off at the time 'cos I had ordered a set of control rods from HK and they didn't fit the links when they turned up after weeks
I have used 2mm screws with the heads cut off for the small linkages and cut threads onto 2 mm mild steel rod for the longer ones.
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Dec 09, 2010, 08:11 PM

melnic ,rocket

i remember in a post way way back about head dampners o rings if im right if i use the align one or so what does it actually do towards the main blades staying on track. because one minute my tracking is died on and the next time i fly its a little off i was thinking my blades were expanding or so but i remebered about the subject. and it probably woul;d be wise of me to change out when i get the chance.

i was thinking rcgroups need to install a bookmark option so certain pages can be pulled up at will or needed.
Dec 09, 2010, 08:36 PM
make sure the ball links on the blade grips are still tight, and check to be sure the mixing arms are not coming loose.

two of my 450`s was doing this, one was a stripped bolt hole in the seesaw causing the mixing arm to be loose. the other was because one of the ball links came loose on the blade grips.
Dec 09, 2010, 08:46 PM
never though about that ill check that out first. thanks
Dec 09, 2010, 11:41 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton831
i remember in a post way way back about head dampners o rings if im right if i use the align one or so what does it actually do towards the main blades staying on track. because one minute my tracking is died on and the next time i fly its a little off i was thinking my blades were expanding or so but i remebered about the subject. and it probably woul;d be wise of me to change out when i get the chance.

i was thinking rcgroups need to install a bookmark option so certain pages can be pulled up at will or needed.
feathering shaft ever been in a crash w/o you replacing it?
What kinda blades? Fiberglass blades sometimes can loose tracking if the head blade grips are not tight. For some reason, the EXI 450 pro does not have that issue w/ my fiberglass blades.
Dec 10, 2010, 04:49 AM
I got a chance to pick up the Align 2mm linkage rods I needed to be able to use the Align ball links and balls I got a few days before. I've had a few 450 size helis and except for my Beam 450 (which is always perfect!) I've had to re-size every link to get smooth operation even on genuine Align 450's. Not this time. They were all silky smooth. I didn't have to re-size a single one. Align got it right this time!

Here is what I used:
Align H50091T Linkage rod
Align H60089T Linkage ball set
Align H60071TA Ball Link

My bird is all set to go now. Linkage is all done and working smoooth, all wiring is sleeved, everything that needs it is lubed and LocTited, blades are CG'd and balanced. Batteries have been cycled. All I need now is a good motor. Still no reply to my e-mail about my bad motor from Value Hobby. Looks like I've made my last purchase there.....

Joe
Dec 10, 2010, 06:36 AM
i rechecked the head like bad said but no crashes, in using xheli carbon blades,but i was looking at the head and the flybar control arms arnt stiff anymore if i apply pressure they twist a little maybe thats the problem. if i set the tracking and dont use the blade holders im ok but if i use the blade holders thats when i notice the change
Dec 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
Use the flybar young Padawan
Woo Hooo , i am almost finished with my EXI 500 plastic . here is my list of parts

Power HD 3688HB Digital Servo on the tail
HK-500GT Metal Tail Holder Assembly
TURNIGY Plush 80A w/ UBEC Speed Controller
Hobby King 500H Heli Motor 1600kv (500 Class)
Turnigy MG930 Digital Metal Gear Servo (aka rebranded tower pro) these are on the cyclic. if you are going to use these servos they center badly, it took me hours to set up the head . i went between raising and lowering the links , to sub trim to endpoint all at the same time . when you get one set with subtrim or by raising or lowering the link and making sure the other 2 are even then either use sub trim or end points to fix it , it was a hot mess getting all the servos to move together at the same time but it can be done. my whole swash moves smoothly up and down and level now . now i need to go back to my 450's and fix them .

the 4pc landing skid , dont like that all one pc plastic skid.
carbon fiber 3D blades from HK
gyro , i am going to try since i have had good luck with them is the GY48V , i found on this gyro that if i set the delay to the 0 mark it moves slowly, if i move it to the higher points it moves faster ???? going to put a high delay maybe they put the pot in backwards who knows . also open it up, get some electronic contact cleaner and spray it , mine looked like it had water marks on it , a shot or 2 with the contact cleaner did wonders.

i was hoping to get this thing airborne today but the weather here looks like it wants to snow

edit:
i was going to use the castle creations bec, i have had good luck with them in my nitro trucks and in my rock crawlers and figured this would be fine in this as well
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSWL3&P=ML
Last edited by jombo; Dec 10, 2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added bec

Quick Reply