Jan 28, 2009, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

A-4B, Winged V-2

Ok all, here's the next thing on the building table. I drew the template this morning. Normally I like to run a full flying tail and skip ailerons, however once I drew it, I realized even if I split the taileron at the thickest fuse line, it will still be very long and large. So, I'm thinking of just running the lower half of the tail as the "taileron". However, I haven't built/flown anything with a taileron that has a fixed forward portion, I'm wondering if that will cause any problem with airflow or effectiveness, I'm still planning on having the rear portion pivot, not have it hinged to the forward section, or should I have it hinged to the forward section??

I'm thinking that as it pivots some of the surface will be below the forward section and some will be above, does this matter?? I'm thinking of having just the lower 1/2 be movable, and have it pivot at the 25% point of that piece. I considered just moving the extended section down lower, but I don't think that will be large enough for tail only control

For those curious, the ventral fin won't have the lower extension to prevent catchign that on landing, and it will land similar to my X-15. This is what they intended on the piloted version I've seen drawings of.

Thoughts?
Last edited by burkefj; Jul 13, 2019 at 05:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2009, 12:22 PM
Is this going to be a profile or full body. I know you were starting to move that way.
Jan 28, 2009, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
I think I'll do cruciform to start and get that flying, then do a full fuse, I'm really partial to V-2's...The body should be straight forward full round.

I've built and flown a DML plastic V-2 that I converted to rocket with the wings that flew great on 18mm D composite motors. Of course it didn't glide as it probably weighed 9 oz rtf for a 15" tall model

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by agriebel
Is this going to be a profile or full body. I know you were starting to move that way.
Jan 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
Here was my lunchtime effort, you can see where I decided to cut out the tailerons.....Managed to fit it all onto a single sheet of depron with just a splice at each nose. I was thinking for a quick attempt, I could do sort of lenthwise 3mm covers at 45 degrees to each side, kind of like what I did on my X-15, would fill it in more, but not be totally round and require formers/skinning.....

Frank
Jan 29, 2009, 01:56 AM
Thread OP
here she is framed up with carbon reinforcing, tail pivots, and dry fit. AUW so far is 4.5 oz.
Jan 30, 2009, 01:42 AM
Thread OP
Here it is painted and done except for the two servos and receiver install.

Frank
Jan 30, 2009, 02:45 AM
Frank your becoming the rocket man
any way your work as usual is amazing looking forward to the video

John van den berg
Jan 31, 2009, 11:42 PM
Thread OP

Successful maiden...

I was planning on getting the V-2 and the jayhawk ready together and doing the videos/maiden tomorrow, but the weather looked good and things were charged up and ready to go.

I did a bunch of glide tests with the V-2 and was pretty sure I had a good starting CG, however every german plane I've built(natter, Komet, Buzzbomb) had wound up tail heavy even after glide tests, so I wanted to be conservative so put it an inch ahead of what I thought was ok. This required me to use 3/4 ounce of weight and a 2100 5 oz pack, so it came in at 14.3 oz rtf, heavier than I wanted, but still ok for the purple peril.

I had been sweating this maiden, as I had been starting to use an online RC plane CG calculator, and I usually am too tail heavy when I do cruciform fuselages due to the forward area, the cg calculator kept coming out with a CG that seemed very far forward(when doing a double panel wing with the foward fuse as the first panel), so I broke down and compared it to my X-15 and Natter which I know have correct flight CG's, in both cases doing the same type of calculation, the online CG was an inch to 2 inches too far forward, so I'm not relying on that any more. I was also worried that I had it too far nose heavy and that my taileron area was a bit too small.

Maiden:

I had put in a few clicks of up trim and launched with about 70% throttle, it just climbed out perfectly with no roll or pitch trim needed. I flew around and finally gave a few trim inputs and slowed it down, it just settled nicely. Loops were very nice, plenty of pitch authority, roll rate was slow, but it is a flying rocket, so I'm ok with that, split esses were fine, and it recovered from a nose vertical stall with just a bit of power on. It looked great in the air, slow speed flight was very nice and controllable. I brought it in after 6 minutes, and cut the throttle and flared, and got a little head wind, it just slowly settled, I almost thought I was going to get it to zero airspeed about 6 inches of the ground but it touched down fine.

I flew my Jayhawk after, and decided to call it a successful day and will do the rocket test flights tomorrow.

I'll post the video in a little while.

Frank
Feb 01, 2009, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Deleted
Last edited by burkefj; Jul 13, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
Feb 01, 2009, 08:39 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Nice Frank. How do you tell which way is up?

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
Feb 01, 2009, 12:21 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Another winner, Frank, just don't fly it anywhere near London!

Here's another maiden. Yours went much better - looks a little tail-heavy in this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpGWMaXtJto&NR=1

...and with not nearly the good camera work that Olivia does !
Feb 01, 2009, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
That's a great video of the original, I haven't been able to find that before.

As for orientation, the top fin is all white and has the extension on it, the right wing is black, lower fin is all black, actually pretty easy to keep a handle on.

Rocket flight for all four of my planes, X-15 with round fuse, Interceptor, V-2, and jayhawk were all perfect this morning.

Frank
Feb 01, 2009, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Deleted
Last edited by burkefj; Jul 13, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
Feb 04, 2009, 12:16 PM
Frank - have you - or should I ask - are you going to post the plans for this one - it looks great and I would like to add it to my list of Frank Profiles to make in the UK - also I would need ORANGE on the underside of that or I would totaly lose up from down...

Nice one (yet) again.

Martyn
Feb 04, 2009, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
I haven't posted the rocket glider plans, since nobody seemed interested, but I can draw them up based on the templates I used.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binome
Frank - have you - or should I ask - are you going to post the plans for this one - it looks great and I would like to add it to my list of Frank Profiles to make in the UK - also I would need ORANGE on the underside of that or I would totaly lose up from down...

Nice one (yet) again.

Martyn

Quick Reply