This thread is privately moderated by Jim T. Graham, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 22, 2009, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
Announce

In Memory of Chris Chianelli

It just found out that Chris Chianelli has passed away. Chris and I crossed paths many times, and while it was usually business related, we always wound up having a great time. I had seen Chris's TV show many times before I met him and was excited to help him back in my early Hobby Lobby days. We did a few shows together, and we always enjoyed talking about the hobby and what we saw in its future. When we shot an episode of DIY's Radio Control Hobbies show on the outskirts of Chattanooga, TN, in the middle of taping an amazingly spectacular lightning storm blew in from nowhere. We all took cover under the only protection available... a building made completely of metal with no sides while lightning was literally striking all around us! The planes were all covered up, but I was sure one of those bolts was going to strike that structure and fry us all! Through the whole thing, Chris was cracking jokes and cool as a cucumber. It's hard for me to believe that he isn't out there somewhere right now doing another show. We will all miss the energy Chris brought to the RC world, and his passing makes me appreciate the moments we all have right now. Life is fatal, live hard.
Jim T. Graham

You can sign his guest book here:
http://www.thegreenfuneralhome.com/i...=917&Itemid=46
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jan 22, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2009, 12:07 AM
Retired USAF
Shocking... I really enjoyed watching his DIY RC show...he was obviously a man who loved the hobby and he was a great ambassador for RC. He'll be missed...
Jan 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Rest in Peace Chris. I enjoyed watching his DIY show and the amount of energy and passion he presented. It is a sad day for our hobby.

Prayers to his friends and family.

-Lee
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Jan 22, 2009, 12:12 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon
...he was a great ambassador for RC...
So true! Let's hope another enthusiast will fill his shoes and excite more people to join this hobby!
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Jan 22, 2009, 09:17 AM

Services

We should fill the guest book.

http://www.thegreenfuneralhome.com/i...=917&Itemid=46
Jan 22, 2009, 09:26 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrsell
Excellent idea! I too enjoyed his shows on DIY. Here's a neat quote from his Wiki page:

His love of modeling began in early childhood with toy trains and slot cars. He bought a used aircraft radio in 1971 and said, "Ever since that fateful purchase, I've never had a boring moment in my life. So many models, so little time."

Rest in peace, Chris
Jan 22, 2009, 09:30 AM
Total bummer - what a great guy... Too young for sure...

Mike
Jan 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Double post...
Jan 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
Baboon McGoon
It is so sad to hear that Chris Chianelli has passed away. I really loved his show on DIY Network, but I especially loved the enthusiam he brought to our hobby. He will be sorely missed!!!
Jan 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
He will be missed, I dont know how to break it to the kids they loved his show!

Ken
Jan 22, 2009, 02:01 PM
Retired USAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrsell

Done...great idea!
Jan 22, 2009, 05:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He was always excited about the hobby and his excitement was catching! We'll miss you Chris!

George
Jan 25, 2009, 01:13 PM
I first met Chris about 20 years ago when he worked for Air Age, he used to come into a shop where I worked and buy windsurfing gear. I don't remember how the subject came up but we started talking about RC and we talked for hours. He became a good customer and would hang out in the store on a regular basis. One day he comes in with a big box full of a new kit 1/8th scale nitro buggy, radio set and all sorts of hop ups. He tells me to build it and write a short paper on the experience, I said no problem and I'll have it done in a week. Then he tells me that I get to keep all the goods and I'll get a check too! I went on to do a few more reviews for RCCA and became friends with Chris and the crew at Air Age. Man-O-man, as a poor college student was I psyched, Chris seemed to really get a thrill out of hooking me up with the gear and was as excited as I was about all aspects of RC.

I think that's what I'll remember about Chris, his enthusiasm to share our great hobby with as many people as possible. He will be missed.

Ed Byron
Jan 25, 2009, 01:26 PM

Rip

I have never seen his TV shows, but I always enjoyed his section in MAN.
Jan 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
Don't look at me like that....
Great loss, for sure, always enjoyed his shows.

Quick Reply