CROSSBOW New kit from Jarel Aircraft Design - RC Groups
Jan 21, 2009, 02:11 PM
New Product

CROSSBOW New kit from Jarel Aircraft Design

Origins of the Crossbow date back to the 5th Century BC in China with additional accounts of its use found in ancient Greek warfare. Compared to a skilled archer using a long bow of the period, a novice could pick up a crossbow and in a very short period of time exceed a skilled archer in distance and accuracy while at the same time releasing more kinetic energy with devastating effects even against armor. It has been suggested that around 1100 AD, the Crossbow was banned from warfare because of its deadly capabilities. Leonardo DaVinci designed a massive crossbow capable of penetrating castle walls. Even today the crossbow has a complicated legal status due to its deadly silence.

This has been an exciting development here at Jarel Aircraft Design. Our newest kit: (the “Crossbow”), is a culmination of years of design experience (the first sketches for this ship were created in 1987 shortly after the release of the legendary Telos canard (see threads located at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955809

And:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966524

The slope performance of the Telos has always made it one of my favorites to fly... I've received requests over the years for a traditional (tail aft) design following the Telos styling lines and with so many pilots asking (including myself!) for an electric version, I built and flew a Telos styling inspired prototype (using the original Telos cores that have provided such a wide flight envelope with it’s Quabek airfoil and built in washout) at the local field. The response from club members was nothing short of phenomenal with requests to kit the ship.

Here are some specifications:

Wingspan: 51”
Length: 38”
Area: 340sq/in
AUW: 25oz (Glider version) (10.5oz/sq/ft)
AUW 36oz (Electric version) (15.25oz/sq/ft)
Power: BL-2217/7 (Suppo)
ESC: SP-30A (Suppo combo price for motor and ESC= $35!)
Prop: Aero-naut 9x5.5, 8x6 folding
Spinner: 36mm Turbo
Battery: Thunder Power 1900ma 3S 11.1 volt 20C(38A cont) 40C(76A burst)

The $125 kit will include:
Carbon Fiber re-enforced, epoxy composite fuselage
Feather cut OC-150 foam cores
Pre-shaped hardwood LEs
Vacuum formed wing tips
Clear vacuum formed canopy
Full flying stab pivot pin and bell crank ply material
Electric version will include pre-formed cowl

I’m still tooling up while continuing the Telos building thread and producing Telos kits, but with inquiries already coming in and the waiting list already forming, I thought I’d share this with the rest of you. If you’d like to be added to the list, please email me at:

richard@jareldesign.com
(Please title your email: “CROSSBOW LIST” …this will help Tresa keep orders straightened out when the time comes.)

As always, I thank you for the support I’ve received reviving my number one passion designing and producing RC model aircraft!

Warmest Regards,

Richard Jarel
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2009, 02:25 PM
auto-tune remix
Thats a good looking plane. Nice work.
Jan 21, 2009, 02:29 PM
trying to kick the habit
Looks like a "harder" version of this guy:
http://www.futureslopedesigns.com/Suraci.html
Last edited by Crashaholic; Jan 21, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Jan 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
It could happen...
Hey, finally a sloper with a conventional tail (non "v") that looks like it's high enough to stay out of the rocks and weeds on landing! KEWL!
Jan 21, 2009, 02:51 PM

New Product - CROSSBOW New kit from Jarel Aircraft Design

Hi Richard,
"Wow now that is fantastic looking Glider" I am in for the electric version for sure! Wicked Man!!
Joe Pierson
Kerman Ca.
Jan 21, 2009, 03:05 PM

Wow! Thanks for the support!

I sure wished you guys all lived nearby so we could fly together! On second thought, there's ice outside! Let me change that to I wished I lived closer to YOU so we could go flying or have you hang out and visit at the shop... (back in the old Hughes Hills days it wasn't uncommon for fellow fliers to meet first (or gather after), my shop in LA making repairs, cutting replacement wings, checking out what was new on the drawing board or in the mold...

The response at my email address with confirmed orders in less than an hour is just astonishing!

Joe (and for others) wanting a peek at the electric, here's the only existing photo... Prototype was decommissioned creating the plug (a worthy cause).

Ok... back to work!

Best always,
Richard
Jan 21, 2009, 03:41 PM
Say when.....
That is a sleek looking design. Good luck with it. It looks like a great flier just sitting there...
Jan 21, 2009, 04:55 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic
Looks like a "harder" version of this guy:
http://www.futureslopedesigns.com/Suraci.html
I'm sorry brother, but that plane does not hold a candle to the Crossbow.
The sensuous curves and the contouring really makes it stand out.
It reminds me more of a JART then anything else.
And for those of us that wanted a Electric-fried Jart this just might be the answer.

Great job Richard
Larry
Jan 21, 2009, 05:53 PM
Great looker and nice sexy lines......mmmmmmmmm
Jan 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
Composites Kid
Very nice...

A longer nose would be nicer, but it still looks great!
Jan 21, 2009, 08:55 PM
Say when.....
Not knocking the design at all, I think it is sweet, but Alex may be on to something.... another two inches or so to "pointy up" the nose might be awesome.

--quigley
Jan 21, 2009, 08:57 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED-E-FLYER
I'm sorry brother, but that plane does not hold a candle to the Crossbow.
The sensuous curves and the contouring really makes it stand out.
It reminds me more of a JART then anything else.
And for those of us that wanted a Electric-fried Jart this just might be the answer.

Great job Richard
Larry
I don't know why the two were being compared in the first place. They're entirely different animals, using different construction techniques and a different flight envelope in mind. I think it's a compliment to compare this plane to the Suraci - the Suraci has nice lines as well.

I do think the nose could stand to be a little longer so the plane is easier to balance, but I could be wrong. It's hard to tell with pictures.
Jan 21, 2009, 09:21 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
I don't know why he brought up the comparison either.
I have not flown either, but the CROSSBOW is aesthetically more pleasing to me.
The electric version is even more so.
JMHO

Larry
Jan 21, 2009, 09:22 PM

Style is all a matter of tastes.

You say tomato, I say tomata, let's call the whole thing...

Style is all a matter of tastes... Comparing a an apple to an orange is our way of defining things we find hard to define with words... so we use images... This reminds me of that, that makes me think of this... Take a look at how many different automobile styles there are! Wow! And... it could be easy to say "They all look the same", but find someone who is absolutely infatuated with a Maserati Quatropuerto and teel that person that it remind them of a Jaguar or Chrysler... ha! Don't even want to be around that one...

I take all these comments as complements... That you would even show up here and share, is a compliment all by itself!

For me, defining something limits my ability to just be with something and experience it in whatever way it affects me... This approach came to me in my understanding of "seeking truth"... The moment I define something as "The Truth"... I have stopped looking for it...

neither bad nor good, just a couple of cents worth... I still thank ALL of you for showing up and participating!

By the way, here's another view:

Pointy nose? Maybe... blunt nose? maybe... I guess it depends on a person's tastes?

Enjoy!

Richard
Jan 21, 2009, 09:48 PM
Detail Freak
I think the nose is plenty long enough; if it doesn't take a lot of lead up front, then you're good...

When will someone step up and start using a foam cored tail with a real profile instead of a slab??
It makes a difference.

Nice looking design. Could use a touch of dihedral though?! It doesn't look like there is very much there.
Congrats on the new design.

T
Last edited by target; Jan 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM.