CROSSBOW... New kit from Jarel Aircraft Design! - RC Groups
Jan 21, 2009, 02:01 PM
New Product

CROSSBOW... New kit from Jarel Aircraft Design!

Origins of the Crossbow date back to the 5th Century BC in China with additional accounts of its use found in ancient Greek warfare. Compared to a skilled archer using a long bow of the period, a novice could pick up a crossbow and in a very short period of time exceed a skilled archer in distance and accuracy while at the same time releasing more kinetic energy with devastating effects even against armor. It has been suggested that around 1100 AD, the Crossbow was banned from warfare because of its deadly capabilities. Leonardo DaVinci designed a massive crossbow capable of penetrating castle walls. Even today the crossbow has a complicated legal status due to its deadly silence.

This has been an exciting development here at Jarel Aircraft Design. Our newest kit: (the “Crossbow”), is a culmination of years of design experience (the first sketches for this ship were created in 1987 shortly after the release of the legendary Telos canard (see threads located at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955809

And:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966524

With so many pilots asking for an electric version, I built and flew a Telos styling inspired prototype (using the original Telos cores that have provided such a wide flight envelope with it’s Quabek airfoil and built in washout) at the local field. The response from club members was nothing short of phenomenal with requests to kit the ship.

Here are some specifications:

Wingspan: 51”
Length: 38”
Area: 340sq/in
AUW: 25oz (Glider version) (10.5oz/sq/ft)
AUW 36oz (Electric version) (15.25oz/sq/ft)
Power: BL-2217/7 (Suppo)
ESC: SP-30A (Suppo combo price for motor and ESC= $35!)
Prop: Aero-naut 9x5.5, 8x6 folding
Spinner: 36mm Turbo
Battery: Thunder Power 1900ma 3S 11.1 volt 20C(38A cont) 40C(76A burst)

The $125 kit will include:
Carbon Fiber re-enforced, epoxy composite fuselage
Feather cut OC-150 foam cores
Pre-shaped hardwood LEs
Vacuum formed wing tips
Clear vacuum formed canopy
Full flying stab pivot pin and bell crank ply material
Electric version will include pre-formed cowl

I’m still tooling up while continuing the Telos building thread and producing Telos kits, but with inquiries already coming in and the waiting list already forming, I thought I’d share this with the rest of you. If you’d like to be added to the list, please email me at:

richard@jareldesign.com
(Please title your email: “CROSSBOW LIST” …this will help Tresa keep orders straightened out when the time comes.)

As always, I thank you for the support I’ve received reviving my number one passion designing and producing RC model aircraft!

Warmest Regards,

Richard Jarel
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'm in!!! Email already sent!!!!

Roberto.
Jan 21, 2009, 06:15 PM
That thing looks awesome
Latest blog entry: Multiplex FunCub XL!
Jan 21, 2009, 08:15 PM
Very nice!
Jan 22, 2009, 01:33 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Ahhh the electric we've all been waiting for!
And such an elegant form too; definitely something to salivate over whilst constructing the Telos

As a novice, i'd like to know how performance will differ from the Telos?

-matt
Jan 22, 2009, 11:12 PM
Very nice looking prototype. Landing low wing planes in the grass generally isn't fun. Let us know how it goes!

Scott
Jan 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
Just a quickie It's late and I am EXHAUSTED!

Ok... handling... there's about 2 degrees of washout in the tips with a slightly thicker cross section at the tips... If you are familiar with some of the Quabeck airfoils, some of them have a "slight" under camber near the TE at the root... This combination provides some great slow flight handling characteristics which help reduce tip stalling yet provides some great speed and aerobatic capabilities.

The angle of attack on the main wing combined with actually being mounted a little higher than the bottom provides some fuselage belly area to protrude from the forward, bottom section of the wing...

Personally, (If I can get my buddy to do his magic with his airbrush (I may have to introduce you guys to him... 20+ years as a professional artist and I've NEVER seen anyone better!) Anyway, with a great paint job, this next Crossbow is going to have retracts! I LOVE take offs and landings and get a kick out of watching retracts disappear and the resulting increase in speed due to the decrease in drag sure doesn't hurt!

Thanks for the input guys!

Best,
Richard
Jan 23, 2009, 12:57 AM
zoom zoom
what would something like this cost?
Jan 23, 2009, 02:41 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
I'm thinking right at $125. That will get you:

Carbon Fiber re-enforced, epoxy composite fuselage
Feather cut OC-150 foam cores
Pre-shaped hardwood LEs
Vacuum formed wing tips
Clear vacuum formed canopy
Full flying stab pivot pin and bell crank ply material
Electric version will include pre-formed cowl

Frank
Jan 23, 2009, 04:34 AM
zoom zoom
so what would i need to do to get the airframe flyable? I'm experienced but not with these models in particular
Jan 23, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Guys,

Amazing how many emails come through in the middle of the night! lol! (Does anybody ever sleep anymore? I thought I was burning the candle at both ends! lol!)

Thanks Frank, that information is correct.

As with the Telos, I will be posting a building thread for the Crossbow... (I'll be building the electric as there is more work involved in that one... The slope version has no work to be completed at the nose as would the electric.

Although not required, I do have a building thread going on in the Slope Soaring forum here at RCG:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966524

The construction will be VERY similar as will the composite fabrication... (Another thread in the slope soaring forum:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955809

...describes the Telos kit in detail with tons of photos of kit parts including close-up shots... you can expect the same quality with the Crossbow.

Hope this helps!

OK... first coffee down... back to work!

Best,
Richard
Jan 23, 2009, 09:37 AM
(Kinda got side tracked.... )

When I wrote above: "Although not required"... I was referring to vacuum bagging the wings... Vacuum bagging is a nearly fool proof way to produce GREAT wings! Any method you are comfortable using to sheet foam cores is fine... I just figured I'd share a real easy and cheap way to create your own $10 vacuum bagging system and then show builders how to use it.

ok... NOW, back to work! lol!

Richard
(need more coffee!)
Jan 24, 2009, 07:21 PM
Richard,

Quit working on that Telos and crank up on the Crossbows!!! HE!HE!HE!

Just kidding...
Roberto
Jan 24, 2009, 07:58 PM
*Big smile here*

Not just the Crossbow... If you knew how many "other" planes are "in the works"... Oh man... That's why I don't get much sleep!

Filling orders has to be my number one priority... To be on a list waiting list for anything seems like more than enough to ask...

I believe that the ships coming "after" the Crossbow will have a similar impact on the way we think of RC aircraft kits as The model-T Ford had on the production of automobiles... It wasn't that Henry ford invented the automobile... He invented the way they were made and how we interacted with them...

Enough... (I tell myself)... Tresa's cooking dinner with our sweet child and I have to complete laying this fuse up before then!

(Ever read Calvin and Hobbes? Remember when his transmorgifier was changed into a duplicator? a whole bunch of Calvins appeared? I keep pushing the button on this cardboard box I have waiting for the same thing... More Richards to do the work... still nothing..... *sigh*..... ok... back to work!

Again... Thank you ALL for your support in helping me follow my dreams...

until later,

Richard
Jan 25, 2009, 11:15 AM
I know what you mean, Richard!

But then again, remember that movie "Multiplicity", with Michael Keaton?

Can you imagine the "nice" planes that your 3rd and 4th copy would produce!!!!

HE!HE!

So let me correct my statement: quit working on any other project, including dinner, lunch AND sleeping, and concentrate on the Crossbow!!

Have fun above all!!!!!!