How do we download photos on a Mac from Canon digital camcorder ? - RC Groups
Mar 10, 2003, 08:39 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN

How do we download photos on a Mac from Canon digital camcorder ?

We have a new Canon ZR65MC digital camcorder, and have been using I-Movie to download and edit video clips. The video camera also has a card, and there are still photos we want to download to our Mac, but we can't figure out how. We've searched the net for the info, but can't seem to find any help.

Do we need a separate special card reader ? We have one for our Olympus digital camera, but it uses a different card.

Any ideas ? Thanks,

Al
Last edited by Al P; Mar 10, 2003 at 08:42 PM.
Mar 12, 2003, 05:52 PM
MK
MK
I think the Canons use SD (secure digital) cards so you would need to get a SD card reader and attach it to your computer. Alternatively, some camcorder mayalso have a USB port to get the still pics off of the cam. If that's the case, you need a USB port on your computer and the proper USB cable. The Firewire port is for video, the USB for stills.

Your Olympus most likely use Smartmedia memory cards unless it's a newer camera. The newer ones use X-D cards (yeah, I know, can't they agree on 1 or 2 standards?! ). Anyway, the reader that you have for your Oly won't work with SD cards.
Mar 12, 2003, 06:19 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
MK:

Thanks for that information. You're absolutely correct. We called Mac Warehouse and found a card reader at a very reasonable price for the Canon, and some that would read both the memory stick and the Olympus smart media, through two different slots I presume.

Should be here tomorrow, and then we can share the Indoor fly-in photos. Oh Joy !

Al