Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 20, 2009, 04:28 PM
Build Log

Ivan's Plans Auster J5F Aiglet

Hey everyone,
I'm going to be building Ivan's 75" ws Auster Aiglet. This is my first Ivan's build (hopefully of many) and the 3rd plane I've built, so you can expect me to ask questions every now and then.
I don't know what livery I'll build it in, but I was just given a 25' roll of red monokote, so that kinda decided for me.
Since I couldn't get any spruce I'm gonna use mostly basswood instead (there isn't that much of it) and that should be fine since weight is not a big issue on this plane. As a power system I'll be running a 9.6v Graupner speed 700 BB Turbo with a 2:1 gear ratio, an APC 14x10 prop (might upgrade to 14x12), a 50a esc, and a 2300 mah 3s lipo.
Also, thanks to mountainman for his build log of the plane and his help, it'll make it a lot easier for me to build this one. Of course, thanks to Ivan too for designing the model of this beautiful plane.

We moved into our house only a few months ago, and since it's too cold to work in the garage and I don't have a shop set up there yet, I'll be working in the basement, so attached are some pictures of the lair I set up.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll need to go downstairs and get to work!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2009, 03:47 AM
Student of Ivan
Slider,

It's nice to see another Aiglet coming together! I look forward to watching your progress.

John
Jan 21, 2009, 09:32 AM
Two left thumbs
Since I like both Ivan's designs and British Taylorcraft with in-line engines, I'll be watching.

Just wondering: Does anybody know why Auster picked "Aiglet" for the name? That's an alternative spelling of "aglet," the little sleeve on the end of a shoelace! I thought maybe it also meant a young eagle, but no, that's the French-derived word, "aiglon." Oh, well, funny name or no, it's a neat model. I hope you'll have fun building it!

Geoff
Jan 21, 2009, 10:34 AM
96RC/3178W
The Work shop looks very familiar. Good luck on your build, I'll be watching!

Matt
Jan 23, 2009, 04:46 PM
oh hey mountainman, thanks for the info on the motor, but I ended up getting the speed 700.
Geoffin, I was actually wondering about the name too. I lived in France for a few years, and as far as I know, it does mean small eagle.
Thanks for the comments!

On to the construction... this was exam week, so I got a few hours to work in, and I've only gotten the main frame finished. However, now I have a 3 day weekend with no homework! woo!

I've attached pics.

Mountainman, the model only has two wing bolts, right? No other securings for the wing? Also, what hardware hardware do you use to secure the front compartement, and what do you use to secure the landing gear's plywood plate while still making it switchable to floats or skis? Thanks.
Jan 25, 2009, 04:47 AM
Student of Ivan
Alex,

She's looking great and you're really moving along!

The wing only has the two nylon bolts and a locating dowel on the front. The front hatch on mine is held in with a 1/8" dowel on the front and a small tab held on by a screw. The landing gear are held on by Dubro gear straps.

One thing not shown on the plans but should be added at this point are the extra plywood mounts for floats if you desire to fly with them in the future. To quote the email from Ivan - "I put a strip of 1/8" basswood (could be ply) across the bottom. It is just over one inch wide and situated so that the wire that supports the floats is 2 1/2" ahead of the forward wire of the landing gear. Likewise I did the same further back for the rear float support and that one is 5 inches back from the rear landing gear wire."
You can see where I added this in the picture below.

John
Jan 25, 2009, 11:14 AM
Great, you answered all my questions!
Also, your tip for the floats was in perfect timing as I have just put on the two normal gear mounts and was looking at your picture trying to figure out where the float mounts go.

How exactly does the plywood plate with the gear go in? does it replace some of the 1/16 sheeting at the bottom or just it just cover the sheeting? Thanks!
Jan 26, 2009, 06:54 AM
Student of Ivan
Alex,

The plywood plate on mine is above the bottom sheeting but in hindsight, it probably should have been flush with the sheeting. Either way you should be okay.

John
Feb 03, 2009, 07:34 AM
Alright, well I'll start out with some honesty. I haven't worked on the plane since the last post, I've been kinda preoccupied with school and the likes and have spent yesterday and today building an rc hovercraft. I picked up some more wood and should be able to work one the plane again. The funny thing when I'm building planes is that whenever I mess up I lose a ton of my motivation, and find myself not wanting to work on the plane.
Anyways, I just need to build up the wing mount, put in the servos and then the stringers and nose and the fuselage will be pretty much done.
Feb 03, 2009, 09:27 AM
Student of Ivan
Alex,

For what it's worth, everyone gets discouraged at times. My personal take on setbacks is if it's not perfect, oh well, I'm doing this for my enjoyment. There's many times I have to redo a part but I'd never admit that publicly in a build log , or at least I'll deny I said it ! By all means, if you don't feel like working on the Auster, step back and regroup. The hovercraft is a good way to do this.

From what I can see from your pictures, I think the nose sheeting looks fine, but to be honest, yeah you may want to redo the spar on your stab. If you have a small razor plane such as the one made by Master Airscrew, I find these work quite well for beveling spars. I'll usually mark a centerline before starting as reference to keep the bevels equal. It took me several attempts to do my first spar on the Solent by the way.

No pressure, just keep it a hobby. We'll be here when your ready to post more progress, and I'm sure there will be more...

John
Feb 03, 2009, 09:39 AM
Two left thumbs
If you want to see setbacks, just check out one of my threads! I've built myself into impossible situations a zillion times! Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the wing into the fuselage of my Caudron C460 after having installed a retract servo that sticks out way above the space where the wing goes into the fuselage. I'll find a work-around, though. So, don't sweat the screw-ups! Just back up, do it over, and go on from there!

Geoff
Feb 03, 2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I'll be redoing the stabilizer and elevator, I didn't have the right wood and went through everything way too fast.
The sheeting that you see in the pics is fine, but the removable compartment is not. It should still be fine though, I'll be using some filler and the covering will cover it up so yeah.
Feb 08, 2009, 07:31 PM
Ok, we'll I've started work again. You can't really see in the pic, but the elevator and stab were really messed up with breaks and weak glue joints everywhere, not to mention ca'd hinges. So I scratched that and build a new one, it looks a lot better and actually works. Next I'll be finishing the fuse, then I'll be making the other stab and rudder.
Last edited by Slider388; Feb 08, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Feb 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
Right, well I put the servos and fuse stringers in.
I have a 4 day weekend now , so I'll be able to work on it some more
. Also, I have some questions again. Mountainman, what thickness sheet did you use to make the front nose block? Also, how in hell are you supposed to bend 1/8" brass rod for the landing gear?

Quick Reply