Feb 20, 2020, 10:30 PM
NewFlyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
I really like those fairy lights where'd you get them? Do you pull from specific pins on the balance? I'd think you could feed them with 5V from the RX, change the end connector to a servo connector

I'd love to figure out the lights those guys use, usually it's hard to get them that density without adding a ton of weight, and some of my ideas would be best if kept super floaty. And the times I've tried using typical 3528 LEDs as a long tail behind a plane haven't gone well.
I got them off at a local DIY store. They are sold as Decoration Lights, usually powered by 2 AA Battery, therefore 3VDC. I cut them off and put a PIN connector to a 1S Source (Balance Port of the 2S Battery).
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2020, 12:45 AM
NewFlyer
Here's my night out...
Feb 28, 2020, 02:05 PM
Tom Para
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
I'd love to figure out the lights those guys use, usually it's hard to get them that density without adding a ton of weight, and some of my ideas would be best if kept super floaty. And the times I've tried using typical 3528 LEDs as a long tail behind a plane haven't gone well.
I liked the led light idea too. I could not find anything near that density either..
I did however pick up 400 surface mount leds from e-bay (assorted colors).
I assembled 20 of them in a string spaced 1 cm apart. the total weight of that string was 1.5gms.
I might be able to shave a bit off that using a smaller gauge wire.
The trick will be to design a soldering jig to speed up construction.
I would think with that large of a group and thousands of leds to solder they did just that...
Feb 28, 2020, 02:19 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
The strips they install on the sides of the butterflies I think I can get in a premade configuration, they look like they might be 3014 spec lights.

The real challenge is the tails, getting long flowy tails without excess weight. your design may work with increased spacing, then glued to a polyester backing that would then be stitched into a tube.

I'd really like to do long streamer tails like that on one or more of my night flyer wings, I'd love to see a slow speed corkscrew with 10-20 foot glowing tails.
Feb 28, 2020, 05:12 PM
Tom Para
Thanks for the info..
Any idea on what kind of weight , led spacing and length on the tail streamers that can be tolerated ?
Mar 01, 2020, 10:21 PM
NewFlyer
The tails are actually LED Strips. Ready made, but it requires 12V. My night planes are running on ready made Fairy Lights (3v).
Mar 04, 2020, 08:20 PM
NewFlyer
Reviving an old Kite. Just installed Green Lazer onto this one. The whiskers LED can be remotely turn on/off an the lazer as well.

3D Printing helps very much in these kite development.
Mar 05, 2020, 03:43 PM
Oh wow!! Those butterfly models look amazing! Anybody know how they're made, or what the total flying weight is?

I'm building a bunch of night fly models at the moment, using my own lights and controller. My lightest model is a 120g flying wing, and I've also got a full 3D foamie coming in at about 250g, but I'd love to add a butterfly kite to the collection :-)

First prototype on fixed wing (0 min 57 sec)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Mar 05, 2020, 08:12 PM
NewFlyer
myxiplx, that's so cool !! Please share the components for that light controller...
Mar 06, 2020, 09:38 AM
It's my own design Ken, using 2mm pixel LEDs, so ultra light :-). I'm posting updates on F-Book under NightWave System.

But back to the kites, are these something we can build? I've tried to make RC kites before, but don't understand what they need to make a good, stable model.

Mar 06, 2020, 11:22 AM
Tom Para
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenChin
myxiplx, that's so cool !! Please share the components for that light controller...
If you are familiar with the Arduino micro controllers you can make your own.
If not search for the SP107e controller.
Video example ...
Tutorial Bluetooth Spectrum Analyzer VS VU meter Using SP107E Music Controller (10 min 45 sec)

The addressable led light strips are sold on E-bay . Amazon and Alibaba..
The highest led density looks to be 144 leds per meter...
I am not sure about the weights of the different light strips since they do not seem to publish that info..
I am also pursuing making some strips but I am not sure what the best strategy is.
So I have ordered a bunch of different stuff to try..
LED Strips, what's the difference? WS2811, WS2812B, 2812Eco, WS2813, WS2815, SK6812, SK9822. (14 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Tom in Cincy; Mar 06, 2020 at 11:39 AM.
Mar 07, 2020, 07:44 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Haven’t seen 2mm leds that I know of, can you share a link?
Mar 07, 2020, 11:34 AM
I've not found them easily online, I've had to source them from the manufacturer and import them. They're APA 4 pin LEDs in a 2020 format.

I can run four separate light channels at once, and having browsed some more of this thread I think a butterfly could be under way shortly :-)

Mar 07, 2020, 11:59 AM
No, those strips are huge, and the LEDs there are the typical 5mm x 5mm ones. The strips I'm using are either 3mm or 4mm wide, with the LEDs not even a fifth of the size of those.

I sourced them originally for RC helicopter blades where the 5050 LEDs add way too much weight and drag.

Quick Reply