This thread is privately moderated by Oldrunk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 19, 2009, 04:29 PM
Savage With a Screwdriver!
Build Log

RC microcontroller

So now that I have a 5th free channel on my TX/RX got to do somthing with them so back to my other hobby of electronics and I have been interested in microcontrollers for some time but never had a goal with them so never got past blinking some LEDs, now I want to blink LEDs remotely via the free channel. Now I have seen already made controllers that do this for sell but whats the fun in that if I already have the parts and resources to do it my self and learn something in the processes.
I don't have much experience in writing code and all I know is some C code but never really used it but can read it and generally get the gist of whats going on and whats it doing. Did a lot of reading and most sources point to PICbasic as easy to learn but already familiar with C( found C easier to learn then basic) so didn't want to go that way.Tried some demos of different C compilers for PICmicro, and later found Flowcode3 which has become my first choice because its stupid easy with just a datasheet on your device and Flowcode and little/no programing knowledge/experience you can get a lot done without typing a single line of code. If you where ever intimidated by microcontrollers try FlowCode you'll be surprised how easy it is to make working software for a microcontroller and it will spit out your flow chart code as readable C code, its great for learning to program. Now just to figure out how the PIC controller functions work like interrupts and timers so I can get I want done.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2009, 05:04 PM
What's this flowcode3?--------------googled it..... graphical PIC programming software.

good luck on your project. Am currently working on ccpm mixing and making my own helicopter stabilizer using the fmadirect sensor.

How do you like using the flowcode software? Because am using the microchip c18 compiler with the 18lf4550.

thanks
Last edited by gta18; Jan 28, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Jan 28, 2009, 09:53 PM
So far I like Flowcode just because I've been able to do simple things with out learning a programing language, I do know some C but not that well and still very new to PIC's. Flowcode dose have its limitations as to what it can do but it is built on the BoostC compiler so I have the option to put in my own C codes or ditch Flowcode and use just the BoostC compiler. In Flowcode when using C the issue is just that in simulation Flowcode can not run though the C so when debugging it will have to be tested on hardware.
The only other compilers I've tryed is PICC , MikroC and HiTECH-C , I didn't like PICC just because I could not get it to compile any thing but the other two would compile what ever I tossed at them, I am going to have to go back and relearn C but for now FlowCode lets me get a fast move on things.
Jan 29, 2009, 05:17 PM
thanks, I downloaded the trial, and I think I'm gonna stick with the c18 for now because I think its going to take me longer learning the flowcode. And as you said it has limitations, so I'll just improve my C programming.
Jan 29, 2009, 05:51 PM
thanks, I downloaded the trial, and I think I'm gonna stick with the c18 for now because I think its going to take me longer learning the flowcode. And as you said it has limitations, so I'll just improve my C programming.
Jan 29, 2009, 06:19 PM
Well the limitations are just what you can do with out writing any code, took me only a few hours to figure out Flowcode and get a working PWM reader then I spent a day trying to make it work faster, but after looking at the C source it spits out for the BoostC compiler its not coded all that well then again it is mechanically written C code so to say , but your better off just learning better C code I'm going to have to do the same.