Jan 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
flight investigator in service
This seems new to me.

I have the original Reflex for 2 months and it flies just fine.
need more space to fly it though. i do like the mechanics of this new one but you cant fly it outside because of the IR controller and it is a battery guzzler because of a built in charger. im not sayng that i have it but if i get it at a lower price ill buy it and compare the old and new Reflexs head to head.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2009, 01:30 PM
I Like Deraring

i'mmmm baaaccckkkk

flight report:

mine had TBE right outta the box, however there is an easy fix......

take off the top blade
spin up the bottom blade......add tape to the bottom blade on one end to make the tracking better....mine needed a lot of tape..

with a pin free up some space on the top blade where the rotor head fits into,,,any little bits of plastic are deadly....maybe even make a couple holes on the INSIDE where the rotor head fits into the top blade

tighten up and put the top blade on again....but NOT too tight!

then, add tape to the top blade to make it's tracking better....

sorry for the very quick note, i am at the library.....no internet @ home

mine flies like a dream now

cheers
Jan 25, 2009, 02:12 PM
Yea..When mowers fly!
I like the reflex, to me, there's only 1, this other POS, being that its IR, is nothing other than a glorified 3ch havoc. Should've called it a Havoc Apache AH-64 rather than a Reflex. No comparison.
It goes right where I want it to, as seen in my vid, plus I can fly it into another room without it dropping due to signal loss. Also, it can fly outside.
IMO, I think AH had a bunch of the reflex containers left over and thats why they named it such.
Last edited by Jay-viator; Jan 25, 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Jan 25, 2009, 03:35 PM
flight investigator in service
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-viator
I like the reflex, to me, there's only 1, this other POS, being that its IR, is nothing other than a glorified 3ch havoc. Should've called it a Havoc Apache AH-64 rather than a Reflex. No comparison.
It goes right where I want it to, as seen in my vid, plus I can fly it into another room without it dropping due to signal loss. Also, it can fly outside.
IMO, I think AH had a bunch of the reflex containers left over and thats why they named it such.
Agreed Jay-viator. i wouldnt buy this thing i like the older style Reflex better. I can fly it smoothly and lands almost anywhere.

besides it really doesnt compare to the newer apache at all the newer one looks lik a POS anyway. though the body is different
Jan 25, 2009, 06:13 PM
Thread OP

Kinda tough to do a comparison if you don't have them both, no? Plus I dunno why you would want to fly it into another room either??....well unless you have x-ray vision or something.

As for how 'good' the original reflex is? i had two, they both did not have very controlled flight, fwd/bwd speed is a joke, trimming is a pain and the main gear wears out. I can only see this as being an improvement...i think jdog had an original. so if he is saying this new one is flying like a dream - well, im going to take his word for it.

p.s - you cant really call what a reflex does outside "flying" i did it on occasion and it just gets pushed around in the slightest bit of wind.
Jan 25, 2009, 10:49 PM
Yea..When mowers fly!
To answer, if I may
Quote:
Kinda tough to do a comparison if you don't have them both, no?
Who needs to have both to know what it will do. It's IR correct. That explains everything. As for flying into another room, why would you need X-ray vision? Who do you have flying heli's at your house, Clark Kent? I showed it in the vid. Try doing it with an IR, expect to run after it when it falls to the floor. If anyone wants a IR heli, $20 havoc, all day long.
IMO, pay the additional $30 and have a 4ch MCX. $70 for that thing, that's the joke.
Even you said this yourself
Quote:
ya it's nothing like the old reflex, except for the name....and for 70 bucks there are a lot more options out there for this type of toy.
What, you decided to change your story now?

P.S. As to 2-3ch helis, slightest bit of wind will push them around(No brainer)And yes, I can,and you can
Quote:
i did it on occasion
call what it does outside "FLYING". Atleast the reflex will fly outside.
Try flyin IR outside with ZER0 wind, oh wait, ya can't.
Last edited by Jay-viator; Jan 25, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Jan 25, 2009, 11:44 PM
brings infinite surprise
i gotta say, i had the original reflex and was not impressed with it's stock flying characteristics. i have the tandem-z and infrared or not it is far superior to the reflex i had, and all my havocs. i won't immediately dismiss this due to it being infrared, although the price is a bit steep which may be more of a cause for dismissal at least currently.

nope, we can't fly infrared outside. nope, i don't want to fly my 5 inch long helicopter outside. i have no range issues inside with my havoc, tandem, avenger, and weedwhacker *cough* sorry i mean cyclone.

just sayin, not all of us are offended this is called a reflex, not all of us hate on infrared entirely, and i'm not yet willing to drop 70 bucks on this regardless of what it has or doesn't until i hear some more flight reports and less arguing between two people who don't even own the machine in question. no offense ya'll, good points on both sides, but i'm irritated at the lack of real info in this thread as of late. i haven't even seen these around yet so i guess i'll wait and see...
Jan 26, 2009, 12:02 AM
Yea..When mowers fly!
Just sayin...
Here's all the real info anyone needs on it right now $70.......*hiccup*...........Robbed!!!
I've had my havoc and reflex for 6-7 mos now, and I am still quite impressed with them. Also got the reflex at Wallyworld for $35....*sneeze*....due to mispricing.
If anyone wants a 5".....*cough*......$70 IR heli, by all means have at it.
I don't know anyone thats "offended" that it is called that. Just sayin....*cough*.....should've been named after what it looks closest too.
Last edited by Jay-viator; Jan 26, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Jan 26, 2009, 12:11 AM
brings infinite surprise
offended is my fancy term for ya'll that keep bringin up it shouldn't be named what it is, as though spinmaster has set some precedent for great names. havoc is a dumb name. air hog is a dumb name. cyclone, jetscream, reflex, helix, etcetc. all dumb. =)

thanks for adding all the superfluous sounds to your post. not sure if you're quoting me to mock me, if so, i'm mildly amused. if you aren't and you're just being funny without mocking attempts, then i am also mildly amused. i thought maybe my jab at how loud the cyclone would go over well, but nope, it was the sound effect that really wowed the crowd apparently. personally i was only mildly amused by it.

quit while i'm ahead. always leave em laughin.

p.s. the reflex @ 35 bucks is a much cooler machine than the same reflex @ 65 to 70 bucks. also just sayin, no coughing or farting or sneezing. i'd still have mine if it was 35 bucks.
Jan 26, 2009, 12:23 AM
Yea..When mowers fly!
I just don't see what info anyone is looking for in these. So far, NEED LOTS OF TAPE. If anyone wants mild humor, than go pay $70 for this dumb name POS. BTW, the humor part will be at buyers expense for Air Hogs amusement.
Enjoy your toy!
Jan 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
Micro Addict!!!
Jay,

Don't forget ......that's $70 Canadian ......not $US.

BTW ....We get "Robbed" on Everything up here !!!

Wolf
Jan 26, 2009, 08:02 AM
12 year old flyer :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
Jay,

Don't forget ......that's $70 Canadian ......not $US.

Wolf
Exactly dude...all the Air Hogs stuff is 10$ more up here.
Jan 26, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yea..When mowers fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zett-Vampyre
Exactly dude...all the Air Hogs stuff is 10$ more up here.
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
Jay, Don't forget ......that's $70 Canadian ......not $US.
Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by Trust416
p.s - you cant really call what a reflex does outside "flying" i did it on occasion and it just gets pushed around in the slightest bit of wind.
I didn't mean to get all your maple leaves in an uproar.
Still, that's way too much for what it is, IMO. The USD here isn't worth a darn anymore. Just keep on printing it no matter if there's not enough gold to back it. Maybe when Obama sends out the $500 stimulus checks and sinks us further into a rut, I might be able to afford one of those fancy 3ch helis.
What gets me the most is, there are RTF 4ch planes & some heli's around for $10~$15 more than this lil contraption. What is AH thinking?
Last edited by Jay-viator; Jan 26, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Jan 26, 2009, 10:21 AM
it looks appealing to people who dont know any better. I do though
Jan 26, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
this thread is kinda useless now.... jayviator, we get it , you love your 35$ reflex..that is great and congrats on getting a good one.

BUT

98% of people who bought them don't like them - maybe because they paid 65 bucks for them?, maybe because they are pretty much junk - who knows right?

and lets set the record straight - i have not changed my story at all, 70 bucks is far too much to pay for a $30 3ch micro heli...i would never buy one of these, i would never buy another original reflex and i would never buy another havok or most likely any airhogs plane again (save for the f-18 just for the airframe)...i am pretty much done with all these toys and have since moved on to more pro grade stuff. I simply saw this thing and posted the pic and info for everyone else to see.

oh and P.S - my havoks, even though IR, always had a better indoor range than my reflex...the radio in those things is on par with a micro mosquito / blade runner etc - 20ft and then it drops....but that is my opinion, an opinion based on my observations and experience with the two original reflexes I had

Quick Reply