Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 11, 2018, 04:14 PM
I'm looking for a product called e-z dope its a waterbased fuel proof dope
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 05:24 PM
Slam555, Googled eze dope. Sold at horizon hobbies and amazon, just to name 2...
Feb 12, 2018, 05:22 AM
Cobra Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk
Has anyone came up with a bullet proof method of priming laminate before painting with something like acrylate or rustoleum 2x (melds to plastic)

I have tried priming with plastic melding primer (rattlecans) and just shooting straight rattlecan rustoleum 2x directly over laminate , but when masking , even masking tape that has had the adhesive weakened considerably will still peal the paint off the laminate.

The laminate is really slick and the only thing that seems to stick to it is spray 77 or laminate itself when heated . Not sure if the 77 would peel up is a precoat is sprayed first before painting or would affect the paint layer such as orange pealing etc.

My next foam project is going to be a remake of the 10' Woodys Pusher I did with DT foam board and Tape Brothers tape. Fuse was done in laminate with primer and Rustoleum 2x ...but had the bad peeling problem.
This time I may just use hot wire cut EP with the paper painting mask/white glue covering method and then laminate it.and follow with acrylic..but need to get the paint to stick really well. So whatever method I need to prime will be crucial to making the acrylate stick.

Fuse will be block frame of peeled DT foamboard with balsa corners and frame glued exterior on the frame, then laminated open frame style and painted with Acrylic.
Have you tried to roughen the surface up some first? Try using a red scotchbrite pad first to give it a bit of "tooth" for the paint to grab. Then clean real well before primer.
Feb 12, 2018, 07:50 AM
I'm not a fan of DTF, but I just got done with a FT Viggen made from it. After applying Blenderm tape to top and bottom of the hinges I used a light coat of oil based polyurethane wiped off with a paper towel to seal the paper, sealed the edges with hot glue, air brushed it with water based Apple Barrel paints and then sealed it with WBPU.

A lot of work and I'm still afraid of the paper coming off of the foam!
Feb 19, 2018, 02:43 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Squall
Your jet looks fantastic. I think you protected it quite a bit. The paper should stay on for a long while. In the meantime show us a video of your beautiful creation in the air!
I have had similar reservations about papered DTFB. I too used polycrylic and it has worked well. But you can't sand or shape DTFB with paper on like you can with Depron or MPF. I have been using MPF and really like to work with it. No paper to worry about. It's thicker and doesn't need the strength from the paper.
Feb 20, 2018, 06:49 AM
Thanks! Problem with adding all of the extra coatings is that it adds weight.

Here are a couple of Jupiter Duck planes. I just airbrushed Apple Barrel paint, used a Sharpie for the panel lines and rivets and then brushed on the WBPU. These are cool little planes!
Feb 21, 2018, 07:46 AM
Nice looking ducks! Great job and your lines are very sharp!
Feb 21, 2018, 09:23 AM
I've got to recover 3 planes, 2 well all 3 are large, I have doculam for the covering, I think I'm going to paint the design on the inside, like I did the bingo, and pinstripe the out side now what colors.
Feb 21, 2018, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall
Thanks! Problem with adding all of the extra coatings is that it adds weight.

Here are a couple of Jupiter Duck planes. I just airbrushed Apple Barrel paint, used a Sharpie for the panel lines and rivets and then brushed on the WBPU. These are cool little planes!
those look neat where are the plans
Feb 21, 2018, 03:53 PM
If it flies - I want one!

Jupiter Duck thread & plans

Slam,
Thread here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ck-Flying-boat
Plans here:
http://modell-aviator.de/downloads/j...t-retro-flair/
Highly recommended!
Cheers,
PeteM
Feb 21, 2018, 04:15 PM
thanks I've been looking for a fun quick design for the water
Feb 23, 2018, 12:24 PM

EPP painting by image photo transfer

Here I post only the link of the video because i would like to open a new thread for this metod of painting on epp

EPP Wing Image Photo Transfer - F4 HORNET WING (Antique style) (2 min 39 sec)
Feb 23, 2018, 04:07 PM
wonder if that would work on monocote
Feb 24, 2018, 06:17 AM
I don't know, medium gel can be used to transfer photos on many types of material, including wood, plexiglass and others plastics.

I think it would be better to apply photo transfer on balsa, foam or epp, then you can coat the images with transparent monocote or laminating film.
Apr 01, 2018, 11:58 AM
Flying Models for 55 Years

Painting EPP

I 've used Krylon H2O Spray Paint successful on EPP for years. I have depleted my supply of Krylon H2O paint. Now, I found that it is no longer available! Which Spray Can Paints are you guys using on EPP? The thing I liked about the Krylon H2O was all I did was mask off an area and spray it! Suggestions will be appreciated

Bobby

Quick Reply