Scratch builder paint tips / ideas: instructional videos - Page 134 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 02, 2017, 11:21 AM
The heli is in the tree again?
Thanks. the specific rustolium were using says it can be thinned with water, which is nice so ill experiment with mixtures and share results.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2017, 10:12 AM
In the past I have painted everything the same way with different kinds of foam with good results.I sand,then hide imperfections with light weight spackle,sand again until smooth,then paint with a latex house paint.I recently watched a video where a guy put a couple coats of water based polyurethane on some Lowes styrofoam,(the blue board)for a nice hard coat of protection.He applied it directly to the foam and wasnt going to paint it,just wanted the protection.Heres my question.I am building a plane with a stock pre made fuselage made of z foam and my scratch built wing I made with the blue styrofoam from lowes and I want to use the polyurethane but Im not sure what to put on first.Is it best to do the spackle first,then paint and coat it with polyurethane last or start with one of the others,or does it made any difference.I would like to use an oil base for a much glossier shine but not sure if that is good idea or not.Advise is needed and appreciated because I have spent alot of time on this wing and ailerons and dont want to ruin them
Aug 15, 2017, 11:59 AM
Cobra Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeerd
In the past I have painted everything the same way with different kinds of foam with good results.I sand,then hide imperfections with light weight spackle,sand again until smooth,then paint with a latex house paint.I recently watched a video where a guy put a couple coats of water based polyurethane on some Lowes styrofoam,(the blue board)for a nice hard coat of protection.He applied it directly to the foam and wasnt going to paint it,just wanted the protection.Heres my question.I am building a plane with a stock pre made fuselage made of z foam and my scratch built wing I made with the blue styrofoam from lowes and I want to use the polyurethane but Im not sure what to put on first.Is it best to do the spackle first,then paint and coat it with polyurethane last or start with one of the others,or does it made any difference.I would like to use an oil base for a much glossier shine but not sure if that is good idea or not.Advise is needed and appreciated because I have spent alot of time on this wing and ailerons and dont want to ruin them
I would do the spackle first to get the surface a smooth and dimple free. After that is sanded smooth wipe it with a tack rag to pick up any dust or lint. Then go with a coat or two of water based polycrylic. Then apply your paint followed by another coat or two of poly.
I wouldn't use the oil based. It will most likely have unfavorable reactions with the paint and will "yellow" over time.
Aug 15, 2017, 12:12 PM
That was what I had in mind from the beginning but I didn't want to take a chance or use up alot of time and material on some scrap pieces.I thank you for your quick reply and if you have done this on your models before I will go out and pick up the water based polyurethane today.Since I have nearly a gallon of the oil based was why I asked about that.If you haven't actually done it on a model and its an educated guess I will wait for a few more replies from others because I 'm waiting for my battery and couple more things to arrive in a couple days and I have that time to keep me from hurrying into it like I do sometimes and pay the price .Thx again for the quick response
Aug 15, 2017, 02:29 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Yes RedT is very correct, I have had success with his method. Sparkle/ light filler, sand and wipe clean, oil free. Seal with waterbased clear. Paint and seal again to make that paint really "pop"!!
Aug 16, 2017, 12:19 PM
Also you can use the masking paper and white glue method to cover for a really smooth and level painting surface ...its on youtube.
Just dont use the water based for a nitro plane as it is not fuelproof...ask me how I know