Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:32 PM
GorillaBob is offline
Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Looks good RightCoast!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
Rat Brother 1 is offline
Find More Posts by Rat Brother 1
Registered User
Rat Brother 1's Avatar

FancyFoam 42" YAK-54


Painted with SpectraTex through a Badger 150 airbrush.
Old May 04, 2012, 01:23 PM
adreher is offline
Find More Posts by adreher
Registered User
adreher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC View Post
Figured I would contribute my first paint job to this thread, a 42" Sbach 342 from Fancy Foam.

SpectraTex paints were used here, out of my PEAK X3 brushes.

Now what kind of pressures are you guys out there using for painting this stuff? i sprayed this at 30-40 psi and the whole place was fogged up in no time, thinking of trying a much lower pressure, like hard surface painters do, around 10 psi, I'll have to reduce the paint some though.
Looks awesome!
Old May 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
Rat Brother 1 is offline
Find More Posts by Rat Brother 1
Registered User
Rat Brother 1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC View Post
Figured I would contribute my first paint job to this thread, a 42" Sbach 342 from Fancy Foam.

SpectraTex paints were used here, out of my PEAK X3 brushes.

Now what kind of pressures are you guys out there using for painting this stuff? i sprayed this at 30-40 psi and the whole place was fogged up in no time, thinking of trying a much lower pressure, like hard surface painters do, around 10 psi, I'll have to reduce the paint some though.
I spray at about 20-30 psi on my Badger set up and use a 20" box fan with an A/C return filter in front to catch the overspray. Works pretty good.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:22 AM
Thechittyfather is offline
Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Damn this gets addictive.
Thechittyfather's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I just tried to paint a piece of EPP foam with cheap rattle can spray paint from Wal Wart and it looks like a winner. It didn't melt, yet. I'll check it in the morning. I know EPP is some tuff stuff but I didn't know you could paint it with spray paint. Live and learn.

Tom
I've been using RCStyro rattle cans and templates with some good results. It would be nice to find something cheaper though.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
WMParkFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
Registered User
WMParkFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechittyfather View Post
I've been using RCStyro rattle cans and templates with some good results. It would be nice to find something cheaper though.
You can paint EPP with just about any paint you want. I have yet to damage or melt epp with paint. Most use a water base acrylic in their air brush setups.

Depron is another story. You must be very careful and test on scrap foam when trying out new paints.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
wildafrican is offline
Find More Posts by wildafrican
YOLO with airplanes!!!!!!!
wildafrican's Avatar
very cool paint jobs. and thanks for the tips adreher.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
coreman is offline
Find More Posts by coreman
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
You can paint EPP with just about any paint you want. I have yet to damage or melt epp with paint. Most use a water base acrylic in their air brush setups.

Depron is another story. You must be very careful and test on scrap foam when trying out new paints.
and I think the major feature of the air brush use is the soap and water clean up
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BluFO review by Jim T Graham
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:47 AM
denvoyager is offline
Find More Posts by denvoyager
denvoyager
denvoyager's Avatar

Three D view of a TA152


Hi! What a good idea! I'm just starting scatch-building foamies, and will be looking deeper into your brilliant techniques for finishing etc.
I want to locate a three-dimensional view of a Focke-Wulf TA152, especially showing the wing chords etc. I have one but the lines are blurred,and I don't know how to sharpen them up!
If anyone could help with these requests/info, that would be great,thank you everyone,
Den Moran, Abertawe (Swansea),Wales
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:39 AM
coreman is offline
Find More Posts by coreman
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by denvoyager View Post
Hi! What a good idea! I'm just starting scatch-building foamies, and will be looking deeper into your brilliant techniques for finishing etc.
I want to locate a three-dimensional view of a Focke-Wulf TA152, especially showing the wing chords etc. I have one but the lines are blurred,and I don't know how to sharpen them up!
If anyone could help with these requests/info, that would be great,thank you everyone,
Den Moran, Abertawe (Swansea),Wales
have you searched through this thread?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557457
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BluFO review by Jim T Graham
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
cgilr is offline
Find More Posts by cgilr
Registered User
I am painting my EzFlyer and the bottom half is blue. I want to paint the call signs on the blue fuselage but was not sure what color would stand out and still look good. Would orange be the best? Thanks, Chris
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:25 AM
aerolite is offline
Find More Posts by aerolite
Fly lower!
aerolite's Avatar
Here is a photo of my latest paint scheme. I used an Iwata eclipse airbrush, createx paint with poster board templates.

The plane is the Fancy Foam Fenix v2.

Plane on left is Depron, Plane on right is EPP

aerolite
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
Draven is offline
Find More Posts by Draven
Fly Low Fly Fast
Draven's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolite View Post
Here is a photo of my latest paint scheme. I used an Iwata eclipse airbrush, createx paint with poster board templates.

The plane is the Fancy Foam Fenix v2.

Plane on left is Depron, Plane on right is EPP

aerolite
Very nice.


Does anyone know what adapter size compressed cans for airbrushing use?


I need to know if I should order a hose with 1/4 and 1/8 fittings, or 1/8 on both.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
scaleaddiction is offline
Find More Posts by scaleaddiction
Registered User

not quite a yak


This is my Hailstorm. did a puple melt on the bottom side, I wish I had covered the dull pink with a different color.. oh well looks ok still.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
3flyguy3 is offline
Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Registered User
3flyguy3's Avatar

Apple Barrel & FolkArt


I found Apple Barrel and FolkArt acrylic ($.57 & $.97 respectively) at Walmart today. Can these be used in an airbrush? Are they a good choice for epp?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scratch builder's miniture miter at harbour freight splatman Scale Kit/Scratch Built 1 Dec 01, 2016 08:29 AM
Tips for Taking Videos? kelvin Electric Plane Talk 48 Apr 18, 2003 02:55 PM
Gimme some paint scheme ideas for the Pico Jet Pierre Audette Foamies (Kits) 7 May 23, 2002 09:32 AM
New Zagi 400x builder, any tips for me? slowflyer Foamies (Kits) 16 May 09, 2001 05:28 PM