Mar 09, 2003, 10:57 AM
No fuse too fat
Thread OP

1:7 scale P-38 mold

This is not exactly slope related, but I thought you guys might enjoy seeing it. One of my buddies (Vic Catalasan) is building a 1:7 scale P-38 mold. The finished plane will have an 88" wingspan. Both booms (w/verticals), the horizontal, the center wing section and center pod will be molded in one piece! The only building required will be the outer wing panels and mounting the engines and radio gear. Take a look:

http://www.vicrc.com

Russ.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2003, 07:17 PM
Free as a bird now.
That is one amazing looking project. Man, what a lot of work!!!

Would he make me one with an rg-14 airfoil so I can slope it???

Sometimes I feel like I go a little overboard with my little model airplane obsession. Then I see a website like Vic's and I realize that compared to him, I'm hardly a fanatic at all!

Mar 09, 2003, 09:46 PM
No fuse too fat
Thread OP
Yeah, Vic is definitely a builder. He does some of the most detailed work I've seen. A couple of years ago he also built a beautiful plug of a 1:5 scale Mk XIV Spitfire from Brian Taylor's plans; complete with panel lines and the works. He then built a mold from that. The one you see on his site is all built from scratch from his own mold.

Russ.
Apr 09, 2003, 10:10 AM
No fuse too fat
Thread OP
I met up with Vic and a few other buddy's last night. He has just pulled the first fuse from the mold. The horizontal has a solid foam core which was sandwiched between the top and bottom halves at layup. This really made the tail solid.

Notice the A-10 fuse in the background. It is literally about 10 feet long and will have two turbines on it when finished.

Russ.
Apr 09, 2003, 01:02 PM
Free as a bird now.
I want that guys planes!

I want that guys work shop!!

I want that guys $$$$ !!!

Vic is working on some VERY, VERY impressive projects indeed.

That looks like a Violett turbine jet in the lower left background of the shot. A plane like that alone would cost me about 3-4 years worth of my modeling budget right there.
Apr 09, 2003, 04:36 PM
No fuse too fat
Thread OP
The shop actually belongs to a couple of the other guys. It's in the upper part of a big wherehouse which is part of the Recycling Center they own. What you see in that picture is only a small portion of it (and the planes they have). Just behind where I was standing when I took the picture are racks full of about 30 more 1:5 and 1:4 scale WWII warbirds and modern jets. Then, outside the shop, hanging in the wherehouse are about 20 more.

Just seeing some of those planes last night made me feel like I should bow down and chant, "I am not worthy."

Also in the background of the picture above (on the right) is a 1:4 Me-109 by PCM models. Here is another picture of that plane.

Russ.
Apr 09, 2003, 06:58 PM
Ado
Ado
Meow?
Awesome stuff!

But I want that A-10!

Cheers,

~Ado

Quick Reply