Discussion

Lindberg 1/72 scale I-20

Hi guys,

Has anyone bought or is considering one of these? Any ideas for a WTC etc

at 58" there should be heaps of room
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2009, 03:32 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
I'm getting one once they are released for my sons to drag over with them during spring break & I know several others planning to convert this kit either as surface runners or divers.

I believe Caswell/D&E have been working on a kit & I know another individual who plans to offer a fittings kit for these boats. Should be a great addition to the hobby!
Jan 19, 2009, 07:58 PM
Mostly harmless
I received shipping advice so it should be here sometime next week. Total cost is $154.

Now to source a WTC
Jan 20, 2009, 06:07 PM
Nice kit, hopefully Big Dave will cook up a system for it!
Jan 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
skypirate
Where did you get the 1/72 scale I-20 sub kit from. local or Lindberg?
Jan 25, 2009, 07:34 AM
skypirate
Disregard my last question, I've located the info. One place would be E- Hobbies. expected sometime in Feb.
Feb 16, 2009, 06:14 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Christo
I received shipping advice so it should be here sometime next week. Total cost is $154.

Now to source a WTC
Ernie Petit advised in an email last week that the IJN subs are still 2 months out due to last minute tooling mods. At this point I really think they're trying to beat Italeri when it comes to release delays.

We have a few guys interested in converting the I-20 into a B Type aircraft carrying sub so & are beating the bushes for what drawings & photos we can find to do a proper kit bash. Let us know if anyone here has any sources they can send my way.

So far, the only after market detail kits I've heard about are Nautilus's plans to offer wood decks. There are no PE or resin upgrades scheduled mainly due to the lack of accurate reference material. We're hoping that perhaps one of the Asian vendors such as Lion Roar may surprise us.

BTW, I see Free Time Hobbies is still offering the subs for under $120.
Feb 17, 2009, 05:13 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
We're getting more info collected on the B type subs that will come in handy. Still digging around for a decent drawing of the C boats.

Its already been pointed out by a 3D modeler on subsim.com that the photos we've seen to-date of the Lindberg I-20 don't show the upper rudder assembly, only the guard.

Here's a link to Mario Grima's 1/48 I-29 build that should give everyone here a little inspiration on what can be done.

http://piquetjm.free.fr/I28/I29/Maqu...du%20I-29.html
Feb 19, 2009, 05:20 AM
Mostly harmless
Well so much for 10-15 days shipping. Internet Hobbies have charged my credit ard but are not answering my mails.

Anyone else have a bad experience with these people?

Thanks for the info Hermill. I really wanted to be the first one in TF72 with one of these in the water.
Feb 19, 2009, 11:23 AM
KC8WPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill
I-58 (B3/4 Type) profile. For those who know their history, at who's court martial did the commander of this sub testify in Dec '45?
Captain McVay of the USS INDIANAPOLIS.
Feb 19, 2009, 09:44 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
More intel coming in. Here's a drawing of the C3 type that Lindberg's 1-53 is based upon along with a few other reference photos. I-52 was the C3 cargo sub sunk off the Cape Verde Islands while headed for Lorient with 2.2 tons of gold among its cargo.

Bob gets the gold star today.

Mar 05, 2009, 01:37 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Has anyone seen this before? Lets hope the date is somewhat pushed out by mistake. Note also that it shows "motor included." Would anyone in the neighborhood care to call to confirm?

Mar 05, 2009, 01:39 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Removed - duplicate post
Last edited by herrmill; Mar 05, 2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Removed - Duplicate
Mar 06, 2009, 09:50 AM
I am sorry for the new-b question but I have to ask as I am curious I am wondering about how the aircraft were set up to enable them to submerge with the sub or was it more of a surface running only until the planes were launched?
Mar 09, 2009, 08:45 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal
I am sorry for the new-b question but I have to ask as I am curious I am wondering about how the aircraft were set up to enable them to submerge with the sub or was it more of a surface running only until the planes were launched?
Their were 9 different types of IJN aircraft carrier subs: J1M, J2, J3, A1/2, AM, B1, B2, B3/4 & STo types produced between 1932-45. One E14Y1 Glen floatplane with detachable wings were carried on the all types except the AM & STo. The latter two carried the much more capable M6A1 Seiran fighter bomber with that was originally designed for attacking the US mainland & Panama canal. The AM carried two while the larger STo three Seiran.

The early junsen types carried aircraft in deck mounted stowage canisters & required considerable time to prepare & launch their planes from the stern using a crane; J3 types had a catapult but there's debate whether the first types did, relying instead on the sub's speed to assist with launch.

All types from A1/2 on except for I-17, a B1 type, moved aircraft storage & catapult to the front with hanger built into the tower. The hanger was still nothing more than a storage canister which required the air crew to drag the Glen onto the catapult, &, with the assist of the crane, install wings, elevator & floats, arm & launch. Again, time consuming & difficult in all but the most calm seas. The larger STo's hangers were spacious enough to prepare the aircraft for flight even up to & including warming the engines while submerged before surfacing, roll out the first aircraft, unfold its wings & launch within seven minutes of opening the hanger.

For more information, I recommend visiting http://www.combinedfleet.com/ss.htm or get New Vanguard's Imperial Japanese Navy Submarines 1941-45. I got my copy from Amazon a few years ago when they first came out since I've always been interested in the B type subs. Over at SubPirates we have a new section devoted to IJN subs since we've got more than a few interested in doing conversions of the Lindberg subs.

By the way, I was told today by a friend of mine who looked over the two Lindberg kits that the I-53 would be a better model to use for converting into an aircraft carrier since the tower is more similar to the B type. If you are looking for a 1/72 E14Y1 Glen, MPM makes a plastic kit & I've also seen vacuformed kits on eBay.

Quick Reply