Jan 12, 2009, 01:42 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
New Product

No more plastic cooling spoons needed!

Step away from your models and put the plastic spoons down.
Sure it's free and works but it just looks so bad on the plane. Really why even apply the markings if you are just going to glue a spoon to the side?
I've started forming a set of cooling scoops that should meet the needs of almost everyone.

Taken from the website http://www.parkflyerplastics.com/
Look under Miscellaneous parts and accessories.

There are three types on one sheet and they come in pairs of diffrent sizes for a total of 17 scoops.

Nasa scoops sizes ( width at scoop hole) 1.5", 1.25", 1" , 7/8" , 3/4" , 5/8 ", 1/2 "

High rise / High volume ( width by height ) 1 x 3/4, 3/4 x 5/8, 9/16 x1/2, 1/2 x 3/8, 3/8 x 3/16.

Bullet low profile scoops ( radius at scoop opening) 3/4 , 11/16, 5/8, 7/16, 3/8,

$4 for a set.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2009, 01:45 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Nasa

Installing the Nasa scoops is fairly easy. Thinner materials like balsa do fine but foam models will require some digging. I used a bingo marker to get the back of the scoop wet with a water based ink.
Press it against the surface and you have the pattern.
Trim away the material and bond the scoop in the void.
All that is left is to clear the hole of material and let the cool air in.
Jan 12, 2009, 01:46 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

High rise

Thease are the boxy type and will scoop more air than the others. Be carefull where you put them.
They scoop grass and dirt too.
Jan 12, 2009, 01:48 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Bullett type

Thease guys are fairly low profile and ment for the faster models.
Some say that a nasa scoop will not work with out a negitive pressure in the model, I'm sure it would help but I believe any cooling hole is better than none. We can leave this up to the braineacks.
Mounting thease scoops backward should cause a negitive pressure.
Think so?
Jan 12, 2009, 02:11 PM
Sussex, UK
Nice idea - I wonder if anyone has done any research on the best shape for an exit vent?

Could you vac-form a whistle to make park-jets sound more jet-like?
Jan 12, 2009, 02:27 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Dude, we totally tried that. It has to be a sealed vessel was the first problem.
We started with the whistle from a nerf football. and it worked.
It had to be moving like a comet and with a little rudder input was needed to trash the boundary layer on the side of the fuselage though.
It works well on the bottom if you are swooping the field from way up high. ( except for scooping up grass on landing.)
Larger whistle openings were tried and worked at lower speeds but the sound was just too deep to be a jet despite changing the vessel size.
it looks like high speed is the trick.
Jan 12, 2009, 02:42 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Niiiiice I had wanted to get some made by a local guy a few years ago... and I'm still waiting. I'll be ordering soon.

Thanks!
JimNM
Jan 12, 2009, 03:36 PM
cfw
cfw
fly! be free! uh oh
ordered.. sweet.

i'll be putting a couple on an electric 8th scale buggy too!!
Jan 12, 2009, 04:07 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Very nice! Looks like that are made in the USA? I can add them to my list if they are.

Frank
Jan 12, 2009, 05:30 PM
Fully Sending It
Ooo. Clean inlets now
Jan 12, 2009, 05:53 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Atta Boy Sparky!
About time you did something useful with your talents

Hope to see you at SMALL this year.

Larry

Ordered 3 sheets
Last edited by SPEED-E-FLYER; Jan 12, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Jan 12, 2009, 06:27 PM
Wandering IT geek
Ordered up a set. Thanks man!
Jan 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
The website says they are out of stock. Do you have any idea when they will be available?
Jan 13, 2009, 08:33 AM
Closed Account
I just placed my order for a bunch of stuff (including 2 sheets of these awesome scoops). Don't forget to look at all the armament that he has as well. Rockets and missiles and bombs, oh my! Rockets and missiles and bombs, oh my.....

Joe
Jan 13, 2009, 03:01 PM
Great idea, and much needed........................

Looks like I will order a couple of sheets!

Thanks Sparks!

Ian

Quick Reply