Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 11, 2009, 06:14 AM
My plans are in my blog
Yep, another simple good plane.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2009, 07:58 AM
Winging it >

chucky

One of the most important things I like to do with a new design is to know exactly where the cg is going to be located. This helps tremendously in laying out the equipment and it also instills confidence when launching for that maiden flight...especially if your maiden flight is in a basement!

On this plane; before I got to far; I made some very simple, temporary mods to allow me to "chuck" it in the basement so that I could get the cg located perfectly.

In the picture below, I made the following temporary changes to make the plane a chuck glider before I finished the build:

1) I tacked on a temporary tail fin.
2) I pinned the elevons slightly up.
3) I stuck a stick through the motor mount to allow weight/cg adjustments.
Jan 11, 2009, 11:45 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
Hello! I'd like to play, too! Very nice design! Here's mine: Same size, a bit different fuse...no rudder (yet..need another servo).

Where did you say your CG was?....

Jasta
Jan 11, 2009, 01:28 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta_66
Hello! I'd like to play, too! Very nice design! Here's mine: Same size, a bit different fuse...no rudder (yet..need another servo).

Where did you say your CG was?....

Jasta
Jasta, What took so long? Looks good!

cg is about 4" back from the center section leading edge.

With the large amount of vertical surface on this design, a rudder is really a good idea for turning in high A.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 12, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
Jan 11, 2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry for the hijacking. But I was wondering do all pbf's fly the same? Does curving the leading/trailing edge, different rudder, elevon shapes have much of an affect?
Jan 11, 2009, 10:58 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_85
Sorry for the hijacking. But I was wondering do all pbf's fly the same? Does curving the leading/trailing edge, different rudder, elevon shapes have much of an affect?
Dean, most pbf's will have similar flying characteristics and they are in general very good and very forgiving low speed flyers.

This new design was thoroughly tested today be me and many other pilots. I am very, very happy with this design. I think every one that flew the PbF had big grins on their faces. Floats very nicely yet it will do inside/outside loops rolls flat turns etc etc with ease.

I was able to demonstrate the added durability of the recessed motor/prop today...several times. Most crashes did not even require the prop saver to be realigned.

Plans will be in the works very soon with Ken's (dz1sfb) help. Video will be up as soon as possible, but the footage isn't on my camera so it may take a day or two.
Jan 11, 2009, 11:29 PM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
leadfeather
wow, i gotta get some time to build this ,and i will.Looks good,its on my list,and will be in my fleet for sure. i may have to get a bigger hobby area for all the great scratch models i built this winter ,and i have a few of your builds/plans.I normally build 2-5 of them each,i'll have to order up EPP.
Jan 12, 2009, 06:24 AM
Winging it >

rough plans, equipment list

Here are the rough plans. Pdf's should not be too many days away.

The guts are the same bits used for the FireFly and the EPPYak55:

Parts list

1 sheet 18 x 36 1.3# 6mm epp foam.
1/16" (1.5mm) carbon rod for control rods.
1/8" x 14" carbon tube for leading edge/prop protector
1/32 music wire for control rod ends and wire hoop skids.
Hot glue
Welders glue
3M Spray 77
Paint

Here is my list of hardware I used and the respective costs.

24 gram motor, $8.95 , motor 1500kv

Motor mount

Prop, $1.20, GWS 8x4 available widely

Prop saver, $1.99, prop saver

ESC, $11.95, speed controller

Servos, $3.49 ea , 5 gram servo

Reciever, $19.95, reciever
Note:some have had trouble with this Rx

Alternative receiver $19.95, Non synthesized receiver

Control horns 4ea, $.19, control horn

EZ connectors 4ea, ez connector

Battery (if you build light weight) 2s 360 battery
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 24, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
Jan 12, 2009, 07:05 AM
Winging it >

Reccomended build sequence

Here is a rough guide to building the PbF.

Cut all foam pieces
Hinge all control surfaces
Laminate lower KF piece
Optional: do your cool paint job now
Install fuselage
Install foam skid assemblies
Hook up electrics, check operation, center servos
Install electrics
Install control rods and horns
Install leading edge tube
Install wire hoop landing gear

For the maiden flight:
Check cg and control movements
I use +- 45 degrees and 75% expo on all surfaces to start
Elevons should be slightly up; 1/16" or 1/8", rudder straight
Launch nose high, about 45 degrees and 1/3 throttle. It should float away and climb slowly.

Trim cg and controls as required.

Have fun!
Jan 12, 2009, 12:57 PM
My plans are in my blog
One thing I did notice about most PBF's is that the CG is roughly 25% back from the nose (LF's has a recessed "nose"). This si not always the case, but mighty close to start with.
I intend to do one of these soon. Very stoked on it now. I've got two commitments to tend to firrst, and the wifey is sick, so things move very slow when this happens.
Good luck on all your PBFs.
Jan 12, 2009, 02:03 PM
Unregistered User
Just a heads up; none of the links you posted for the electronics (except for the battery) work for me.

Fun looking plane though. I bet it would fly great in the little park behind my house.
Jan 12, 2009, 03:29 PM
Winging it >
Thanks for the heads up Liam. I renewed the links; they should work OK now.
Jan 12, 2009, 05:09 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Dan whats your experience with the Synth Corona RX ... I ask as they have nasy rep for just stopping working. Lots of horror stories here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=RP4S1

I have one, but I have only used it indoors.

A FB had 2 of them....both died, so did one of his planes.

i'm still using the Corona RS 410 mk2. I have lots of them and they all seem to work ok This is the one I use, except it's on 35mHZ as I live in the UK. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._10_Rx_Crystal)I'm not sure what you would do with the 10 "free Xtals" though
Last edited by dekan; Jan 12, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
Jan 12, 2009, 06:23 PM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
What a great flyer!
If I knew that they were this much fun, I would have built a pbf a long time ago!
It will absolutly lock into a hover (mine spins due to lack of rudder), straight up and down.
Ill get some video tommorro.

Jasta
Jan 12, 2009, 06:48 PM
Winging it >
Dave, I'll post this info on the Rx to the equipment list. I have a few of the synthesized Rx's and so far so good.

Jasta...excellent! Can't wait to see the video. If you can add the rudder, it adds even more fun.

Quick Reply