Jan 09, 2009, 01:17 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Vacuum Bagging Made Easier - Aqua Vac, Foodsaver, Gast Pump & Tire Pump

No, this is not Phil's "Vacuum Bagging Made Easy" video part II. Just my advanture into aquarium pump to vacuum pump conversion.

Inspired by Telos thread , I decide to do some experiment on my retired aquarium pump.

Unfortunately, can't find a tin can to mimic Telos thread's approach. So I ended up open the pump to understand the internal structure of the pump.

To my surprise, it's so simple inside. There is only two diaphram inside. One for air inlet and one for outlet. So I just swap the inlet/outlet and then hook up the pump with my vacuum bag. Guess what it works ....... 5 sec later, the vacuum gauge is reading 5 in Hg ......

No extra can needed. Just swap the inlet and outlet. Ready to suck up some foam core.
Last edited by Geode; Jan 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2009, 06:40 AM
lots of fun! I have been doing the same and I used a car tire pump..It has tons of power ..to test this i imprint pennies into the foam..

I have been in this hobbie for 26 yrs now and always knew my next phaze would be in composites but never knew just how eazy it is.
Im addicted to sharp trailing edges and love not having to keep tighting covering etc.
Im sure there is a million reasons why others by expensive vacuum rigs but for my needs this form of bagging is a great place to start.

I just learned to cut foam also so my next quest is for kevlar clothe
Jan 09, 2009, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarluck
lots of fun! I have been doing the same and I used a car tire pump..It has tons of power ..to test this i imprint pennies into the foam..

I have been in this hobbie for 26 yrs now and always knew my next phaze would be in composites but never knew just how eazy it is.
Im addicted to sharp trailing edges and love not having to keep tighting covering etc.
Im sure there is a million reasons why others by expensive vacuum rigs but for my needs this form of bagging is a great place to start.

I just learned to cut foam also so my next quest is for kevlar clothe
Soarluck,

what kind of pump did you use?
Jan 09, 2009, 07:44 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
let me know when you get to 18 +inches of Hg
Jan 09, 2009, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb145drvr
Soarluck,

what kind of pump did you use?
I tore apart a cheap mastercraft 12 volt air pump,,it runs a sp 600 brushed motor,,[now!! lol] hope the pic helps ,,I took it before going into the can.
Jan 09, 2009, 10:07 AM
I just use a $25 brake bleeder pump.
Jan 09, 2009, 10:28 AM
Mulligan, do you have a model on that? Can it run continuously or do you use a reservoir? What about you, soarluck?

~Dan
Jan 09, 2009, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I tore apart a cheap mastercraft 12 volt air pump,,it runs a sp 600 brushed motor,,[now!! lol] hope the pic helps ,,I took it before going into the can.
Great idea using tire pump. That's a much powerful pump than the aquarium pump I used. Since most of tire pump to deliver ~30 PSI pressure, I guess it should be an easy job to pull it down to ~25 in Hg vacuum (or ~12 PSI). How much vacuum can you reach?

Can you also run the tire pump continuously? guess for a sp 600 brushed motor that should be no problem.

Geode
Jan 09, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
let me know when you get to 18 +inches of Hg
Most aquarium pumps are rated at about 2~10 in Hg. If you're looking for 18+ in Hg, Soarluck's tire pump, refregirator compressor or Cast diaphram pump are some of the possible options.

Geode
Jan 09, 2009, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak2k
Mulligan, do you have a model on that? Can it run continuously or do you use a reservoir? What about you, soarluck?

~Dan
here is what I did:: I built two pumps ,,one is the aquarum pump and the 2nd is my tire pump and so far what i did was to have the small pump on first as i check the alignment/seal etc and then with my paper towels in place ,,I run the tire pump for about 15 minutes in the hope that it squeeze out extra epozy ,,then I keep the small pump running over night or about 15 hrs [my epoxy is 12 hr stuff]

I know there is value in more pressure for the whole cure but I do what I can and my wings are far nicer than any built up wing in terms of finish/work involved .

Its cheep to build quality wings in a few steps out of chunks of foam.
Jan 09, 2009, 12:21 PM
trying to kick the habit
Geode, not all pumps aquarium pumps are that simple to swap over. Which make/model did you use. Any pics of the internals?
Jan 09, 2009, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic
Geode, not all pumps aquarium pumps are that simple to swap over. Which make/model did you use. Any pics of the internals?
follow the above telos link
Jan 09, 2009, 01:38 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Sorry to be a bummer. It was a bit harsh. Not meant that way. I was only trying to indicate that for most of the foam I bag, you want to get up to around 18 inches for the Dow or Corning 25psi foam. That low is good for beaded white but not much else, or so I have been told.

Good luck. I know the composite bug will bite and you will do like I did and start looking at street curbs for disgraded refrig, A/C , etc. units and strip them for their compressor. Often, the plumbing develops a leak that the owner doesn't care to fix and the compressor is fine (at least for our purposes). Hook it up to a reservior tank like PVC pipe(to reduce cycling) and get one of the SMC digital vac sensor on Ebay and you will have the best system possible and it would cost very little.

That's what I did.

Either way, have a great time bagging. Just one precaution, everyone will eventually develop an allergy to epoxy so make sure you work in a well ventillated room and wear a chemical mask. Limit your exposure as much as possible.

Frank

Not meant to be a bummer
Last edited by Fly2High; Jan 09, 2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: can't type for my life
Jan 09, 2009, 02:32 PM
trying to kick the habit
Quote:
follow the above telos link
Please point me to what I asked for (pics/make/model of the pump Geode used). I cant find it.

Fly2High, ya, for composites, it isnt quite enough vac to get the weight/finish you guys are used to. For quick and dirty, it will work though. I mean, people use wax paper bagging on tail surfaces. It was originally introduced for use in sheeting wings with balsa/ply and it is more than enough for that. Thanks for the tip about allergies.Another case of odorless != harmless
Jan 09, 2009, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic
Yes, you're correct. Three of the models I have only two of them could be easily converted. The other model needs to build the hose house and really not worthwhile.

I'm using Tetra Whisper. Will get some picture and model details once back home.

Geode

Quick Reply