Jan 08, 2009, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

YL-15 Boeing Scout

Hello guys,
Finally I decided to change over from HELP to BUILD LOG.
The old thread was https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757020 but I will not work this out.
After your help over our forum I was able to collect very good info on the Scout indeed. Therefore my thanks to you!!!
The project has been to rest till last weekend. My last project came to an end so I could start finishing at last the Scout.
By the way, if someone would have more info on this plane I always would be very happy to have it. I will post all to the site later.
But first building or better finishing this nice strange model airplane.

It is drawn to 1/4 scale with 120" span and designed to hold a G62 in the nose. The wings come in two pieces and the tail can be removed from the main cockpit all to get this one in a small car for transport. The Elevator and its two rudders are foldable and can be removed from the tail part by two bolds. So far the brief description of my plan and model.
I have taken up on the tail part again. The elevator and its rudders.
Having the proper info now I know that compromises have to be made due to the building that was done on false info or not so correct info.
The model will be a semi scale one but very close to what it should be.

I will post pictures as much as possible so you can understand what it is about.
Here are the first of the elevator.
Solitairyman
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2009, 02:18 AM
Hey Solitairyman, happy to see you have retaken it again, looks very nice so far, Im looking forward to see it finished it will be a blast if it looks as nice as your last project . Good luck!
Jan 09, 2009, 11:33 AM
Thread OP

Yl-15

Petronio,
Yes I have taken it back on my building table.
Here is more. The movable part of the elevator is covered with textiel. So I have cut holes in this pat to be able to have it made lighter and more scale like.
Jan 09, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thread OP

Yl-15

The building together of both elevator and rudders was done in between so all could go in the separate parts as they should. So the building has to go simultaneously on rudders and elevator.
The pictures will show you why.
Solitairyman
Jan 09, 2009, 04:50 PM
Thread OP

Yl-15

What it is all about?
Well let me show you info what the plane is like for real.
Any picture or other info that could help me please post it or contact me by PM. This post can be seen as a walk around of the Scout as good as I got it
Solitairyman
Jan 10, 2009, 09:36 AM
Solitairyman,
I'm glad to see that work is continuing on the Scout!

Has the Ft. Rucker YL-15 been restored? It appears that the upper window area just in front of the tail boom has been covered with aluminum instead of plexiglass.

Do you have any shots of the wing spoilers?

I'll probably be building a 1/6 scale of this A/C from the Katz plans.
Paul
Jan 10, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thread OP

Yl-15

Hi Paul,
I am happy you are going to build this one too.
But, I was told some time ago that because of to small, the rudder were very poor to get the plane around. So the wings had to be build with a greater angle to get it work. I have seen also one with A LOT OF WASH OUT, and I mean a lot!!!This would make it work also but the look of it
The Katz plan has also fixt flaperons. I believe this would not be so good either. I do not know now if mine will be any good So I due time and I mean very fast, I will know.
If you could wait I will let you all know what it is to fly it.
I tested before the Fieseler and read that this one would fly even better...
But the spoil flaps are a must I think to be able to counter the flaperon friction, or how must I describe this. The spoil flaps pop out only on the wing that has to drop. So the same as on the Bronco I believe.
But the design is like the spoil flaps from the RF4 but hinged in an other way.
I will see to the drawing and pictures of the spoil flap.
Paul have you any info from late Jack Bale on this plane? I was too late to order it...
Solitairyman
Jan 10, 2009, 08:22 PM
Great build and interesting model. Just saw the little one in FlyRC. Tempted to do a small one out of foam as in indoor flyer...
Jan 11, 2009, 05:59 PM
Thread OP

Yl-15

Hi 4you,
Would it be the same I saw? Could you arrange a picture from it?
I manage to cover both the rudders and elevator yesterday.
The rudder bold holes were drilled bigger so a wooden dowel could be glued in. The balsa block would not take many times the fastening of the bolts.
Now it is stable hard wood up to the ply centre of the rudder. Then drilled out so the screw would be flush with the surface.
Solitairyman
Jan 12, 2009, 07:12 PM
Thread OP

Yl-15

About the info given by various drawings there are published over the years.
One of the first was a drawing by Model airplane News. It was back in 1948, it was first flown on July 13, 1947. Later in 1992 Randy Randolph made a note in Model Airplane News, under; Small Steps. The title was "One of these days" planes. You know it caught your attention and while thinking I have to collect this one for indeed, ONE OF THESE DAYS!!!
So it happened to me too. Later I found two more articles with nice pictures, and then the heat is on. I started on what I had at that moment being the very small 1 1/4"x1 4/5" from MAN 92 and the drawing from Aeroplane Monthly from Dec. 1997. I knew the rudders were not OK and the rear fuselage had to be change to. See drawing #002 and #003. About 2002, I found the Dick Katz drawing and ordered it. Some four years ago I stopped building to have a go over the Net again. Than the world moved and I have found all one needs to build scale on a plane. This was also frustrating because many mistakes were build already. Therefore I want to finish this model and change those things so that the model will be a very good look alike or semi scale.
I changed the elevator hinge already.
See pictures of the drawings as an impression of what collected.
Solitairyman
Jan 12, 2009, 08:20 PM
Here is a pic of the FlyRC article.
Last edited by pda4you; Jan 12, 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply