This thread is privately moderated by Jim T., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 04, 2009, 06:33 PM
kieran3008...

Hey thanks... It just has been so fun getting back into RC after being gone for 28 years... Prior to that I flew pattern mostly from 1969 to 1980 or so, and then my girls were in their teens we were boating, skiing, dirt biking, photography, Karate, on and on, and I somehow slipped away from RC...

Then 14 months ago my 5 year old Grandson Ethan told me how much he wanted to save his money for a cheap RC Heli so I say lets go over to this new Hobby Shop a mile away and we went over... I ended up buying him a $29 Heli and I wrote a check for $1500 for a new Spectrum DX7, and 2 planes, plus new Lipos, and a pile of servos, and receivers, balancers, CG machines, etc... It was crazy yes I know, but I was totally in shock over all the advancements that had been over the last 28 years and the new computer radios in which I could mix channels almost stopped my heart... I was in heaven...

I'm not rich by any means but I had put a way a small hot money account just for emergencies like this, ha.

Later I ended up for the first time gathering up some old music gear I had since the 80's, and which should have been thrown away, and I put 14 items up on Craig's List to try and sell, or give away, and I kid you not within 2 days I had over $1100 cash from junk that should be in a landfill... So that has become my RC savings for occasional items needed... My planes are small and not expensive really, but it does cost to equip 4 planes with servos, receivers, lipo's, etc, and one can easily get $400 to $600 invested in even a smaller 40" to 50" plane... Right now I have a pretty good selection of servos, a few receivers, and Lipo's, so I'm ready to move foreword in this most wonderful of hobbies...

Really a big part of the RC enjoyment is flying with my Grandson as he lives and sleeps RC planes and Heli's... Even Ethan's Mom Shannon, my daughter, is flying now and it makes me so happy to see her fly by herself with transmitter in hand...

RC Groups has taught me so much since my return and the guys have been great in all the threads... This afternoon I'm finally ordering my new Freewing Su-34 EDF with 360 vectored thrust in a blue camo... This will be my first EDF and I'm excited...

It's cold here and in the 40's, but dry, calm and blue so I'm walking across the street to fly my little E-Flite Sukhoi Su-26m 480 right now...

Peace to you...
bnick
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2009, 06:53 PM
inverted down is up, up is £££
wow well im 15 so being able to walk in and spend evan £100 is a massive thing for me!

i find it so hard atm to keep myself in the air, but i keep trying and thats what its all about!

i have managed to get my aunty to order my first edf jet, although i couldent afford any thing that fancy! a $99 dollar f 18 64mm (:

that increases my hanger to a grand total of u guessed it 2 aeroplanes! an art tech spitfire and an art tech f 18! both under 150 dollars! so i know about small and cheap!

my dad couldent believe the advances in technology too it really is amazing! and your "obselete" gear to osme of us is a blessing!

hope u enjoy your flight today, good luck

kieran (:
Dec 04, 2009, 07:57 PM
kieran3008...

Hey good to hear how you are doing... 2 planes at 15 was way better than I was doing at 15 even though I loved them at that age... Back then and as I remember now, that was in the mid 1800's ha, we were all flying U-Control, but some of the really strange guys had 1 channel rudder only, very early pulse radio's, that if you gave left rudder would pulse deflect the rudder left from a centered position maybe 8 times a second... It kind of fluttered left or right from center, depending on which way you wanted to turn, and I don't think they had elevator control... They just trimmed for a slight climb while the motor ran, and when she ran dry you tried to glide back to earth... Those guys were the first real geeks I ever met and I was kind of leery to talk to them...

Patience in waiting for the good things in life is one of those things I'm still waiting to attain, although I'm doing much better at it now than I did when I was a kid, but still it is hard to prudently say No to our desires for new planes, exotic cars, motorcycles, and the good things in life, but somehow they all come in time with hard work and patience...

Learning to put off purchases till we have the money is so hard in today's world, but it is so much better to learn to do it, and many do, much to their advantage... It is so easy to get into financial problems charging purchases on plastic and all of us have had to learn that lesson in one way or another... A good education and hard work have opened most doors over time as I have seen it... Inheritances are very nice too... ha.

There are so many super cool planes coming out and I just got wind from China today that they are actively working on variable thrust nozzles on the newest 360 degree vectored thrust units... This will be super cool both for low speed and high speed needs just as the real jets use... It's just too cool...

Here's a pic of the Sukhoi Su-34 I'm ordering tonight, then I have to stop as I have no more room for planes till I crash a few...

Peace to you and your family...
bnick
Dec 09, 2009, 11:41 PM

Big stick

This is my first try at building from plans. Flies great.
Dec 10, 2009, 12:53 AM
tacx...

Very cool color scheme... That ones pretty and I'll bet she looks great in the air... What motor is in her...?

bnick
Dec 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks,

It is a Russian engine made by a company named "Mutunuc". The engine model is "Millenium .61. I picked it up at a swap meet for 40 bucks. I was a little leary about it, but runs well and has plenty of power.
Dec 10, 2009, 06:29 PM
what does it run off? vodka :P this is not racist, 90+% of cars in russia run off ethanol, so it could be possible?

that would be something to try!
Dec 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
The sky is my playground.
Mine:

Alfa A-4 Scooter.
Dec 12, 2009, 04:49 PM
Dora Nine...

Great action shot and perfect timing right as you let go...

bnick
Dec 31, 2009, 10:19 PM
Live to fly... Fly to live

Nose Job...

Here is my entry... I know... I know... The contest is over but it is such a good photo I just had to share it. Mudman1959
Last edited by mudman1959; Dec 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Dec 31, 2009, 11:33 PM
Mudman1959...
It was a great pic and you should feel good to share it... I liked it...
bnick
Jan 06, 2010, 06:25 PM
GEA
GEA
Props are for boats
Hey guys
Just noticed this photo competition thing. Does it take part every month still? Closing dates?
Best regards
GEA
Jan 07, 2010, 05:50 PM
no but we still like to post :P

and i like ur slogan! thats legendary! although i found my first edf less than satisfactory
Jan 08, 2010, 10:26 PM
GEA
GEA
Props are for boats
Fair enough. In that case I'll post mine too. I think they're pretty cool pictures myself

First one is my Hawk with its big brother

Sitting on big bro's lap

...and the proud father, me.

Best regards
GEA
Jan 08, 2010, 10:52 PM
I'm a scallywag on the slope
this is the best!

Quick Reply