Oct 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
I've been flying my Sabre 35 for about 6 months and have tried several motors and quite a few batteries. I have found the perfect setup for me. It's light weight but with plenty of power.

Hacker A20-20L
CC Phoenix 25
APC 10x4.7 SF
Zippy 1000 25C (3.0 oz)
EMax ES08A (Ail servos)
Hitec HS65's (on the tail)

20 oz AUW (with battery)

I'm getting 5 minutes of flight time and coming down with 11.3 volts with barely warm batteries. This is with medium to full power flying.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
Ooooh!

I'm not sure what my scap weights but I know my sabre was like 24-26oz. I run mg servos and 1300mah lipos and get 3-4 min flights but I fly a lotta wot.

If there is a cheaper knock off of the $$ hacker I'd like to try that setup!
Oct 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Hacker clone.

Until recently I always thought the higher the C rated battery pack the better. My new school of thought is to only use the highest C rating necessary to get the job done.

I've used the G Force 1300 40C packs from Value Hobby but they weigh 4.5 oz. I'm no "weight weenie" but in the case of the Sabre light weight makes a very big difference in the way this plane fly's.

I did splurge with the tail servos by using HS 65's but I went with the nylon gear versions verses metal gear.

Just checked my CG for the first time. It's 5 3/4" which is about an inch rear of the rear part of the aileron servos. I don't know what the spec is but it seems waaay back. The plane is very controllable but loose. No bad traits at all. Nice KE with no pull, etc. etc.
Oct 18, 2012, 10:22 AM
Sabre's have to have a good VG and fine tuning on Ron reflex to get clean Ke. I've had them all now and it's true for all of them. I'm glad you got yours right. My 35 and 47 were never really correct but they locked in well enough I just left them alone but unless its correct just forget about high alpha ke!
Nov 04, 2012, 09:41 PM
Retired in NC
Well I finished mine and it flies as good or better than anything I have flown.

2836 1170 kv motor
Dynam 40 amp esc.
12x7 wood prop
1300 3s 40c battery
MG 90 metal gear servos
HK orange receiver
24 ounces flying weight
240 watts.
CG seems to be spot on at 5" back from leading edge at fuselage (at the rib)
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Nov 14, 2012, 12:45 AM
SoCal SlowFlyer
Spaz...

Any thoughts or plans of designing a 28'-30" Sabre?

Maybe it will give the Precision Aerobatic's Electric Shock some competition!

Steve
Nov 14, 2012, 07:18 AM
I'd like a foamy sabre for sure. Even just plans scaled down to that span!
Nov 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
I'd like a foamy sabre for sure. Even just plans scaled down to that span!
I believe I do have a copy of the original foamy version of the Sabre. I don't remember the size or anything but I'll look through my patterns when I get home and see if I kept the plans that I printed out.
Nov 14, 2012, 12:34 PM
ProBro Spaz
Thread OP
I've never been happy with how anything 30" flies, unless its under 4 oz and flown indoors, I did design and prototype a 32" yak55m that made it to China but the cost to build is so close to the 35" planes it would not make sense to do.
thanks
spaz
Nov 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
A think a shock flyer/fomojo style 30-32" foamy sabre or scap about 5-7oz auw would be a ball for indoors!
Nov 14, 2012, 06:55 PM
I found the pattern I printed out of the Foamy Sabre and the ws is 34 1/2" so it's pretty close in size to the regular one. Unfortunately the PDF for the plans is on my old PC that the mother board fried on, and I don't have it on any other computer. I don't remember where I found the plans either. But hey Jake, if your interested I could make myself a template out of poster board and then send you the pattern if you want to give it a whirl.
Nov 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
Thats cool but If its the same size I could draw one up pretty quick. I might try to scale it down because for all my indoor birds I use the 1300-1500kv blue wonder motors and run 2 & 3s 500mah lipos so I'd like to keep it under 32" so my auw is low enough for the motor.
Nov 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
SoCal SlowFlyer
I've scratchbuilt three 35" profile foamies and two 28". I really like the way the 28" handles and thought about purchasing a profile balsa in a 28-30" wingspan range. But I've only found the Precision Aerobatic Electric Shock and a Yak from HobbyKing in that size. Although I have a Precision Aerobatic Addiction, I'd like a profile balsa to add to my fleet. Maybe the Sabre or Scap? Personally, I like the way the Scap looks, but I'm hearing the Sabre is a better plane to fly. Decisions...decisions!

Steve
Nov 16, 2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoRC
I've scratchbuilt three 35" profile foamies and two 28". I really like the way the 28" handles and thought about purchasing a profile balsa in a 28-30" wingspan range. But I've only found the Precision Aerobatic Electric Shock and a Yak from HobbyKing in that size. Although I have a Precision Aerobatic Addiction, I'd like a profile balsa to add to my fleet. Maybe the Sabre or Scap? Personally, I like the way the Scap looks, but I'm hearing the Sabre is a better plane to fly. Decisions...decisions!

Steve
You can't go wrong with either one. I like the Scap just a little better than the Sabre because it has more pitch authority and can flip better, but other than that they are pretty much even. For me OT seemed like the Scap was a little more finicky to find the sweet spot for cg for a clean knife edge but once you find it it locks in and is just a ton of fun. Of course as cheap as they are you could always just get them both, I have both of them and wouldn't give one up for the other they are that close. The bang for the buck on these planes is just unbeatable.
Nov 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Steve, its really up to your flying style. If you like high energy 3D and a looser tail, go with the scap, but if your one of those guys who really just like to float around and do some tricks than go with the sabre be ause it had a touch longer tail moment.

The differences are
Scap: flips harder/tighter, KE is much cleaner, Harriors(especially inverted) feel better because of the off set stab.
Sabre: flies better precision maneuvers, rollers are a bit cleaner/easier, tho it has less rudder authority and a bit dirtyer KE, its the pin wheel king over the scap (which I love).

There are no bad traits of either. The only negs are the landing gear block is not good hardwood so the legs can flex a ton and the motor mounts can be broken off in a crash. The remedy to that is to epoxy the hell out of it so it won't break out (rather it would bend the shaft or break a prop) or just CA it in so it can pop out easly and re-CAed quickly with no other damage.

On my next one I'm going to build a removable motor mount much like a prop saver type mount, just like on the tufflight bouncer. Two dowl rods thru the nose and two on the motor mount that are attached with tiny sacrificial zip ties or tiny O rings.

As jet said, you can go wrong with either. Stock builds and setup is perfect. Just a great size and range and priced profile, 3D monster/trainer

Quick Reply