New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:03 PM
simjen is offline
Find More Posts by simjen
simjen's Avatar
been using HXT900's on mine for a while now, they seem to work well.
I did have a bad experience with Esky's on a Hummingbird! one blew up and caused a crash!
HXT900's are cheap as chips but surprisingly they seem to be fine so far!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:17 PM
pmackenzie is online now
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Spektrum is a brand name, and they don't make servos.

They might not actually make them , but they do sell them with their name on them.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Products/heliServos.aspx

Pat MacKenzie
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:20 PM
Barak1001 is offline
Find More Posts by Barak1001
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
Looks like a huge waste of money for Chinese servos branded with Spektrum's brand name.

If I was going to pay $35 a servo I'm getting some Hyperion digital servos.
Last edited by Barak1001; Nov 07, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:43 PM
That can fly?!? is offline
Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Live, Die, FLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Looks like a huge waste of money for Chinese servos branded with Spektrum's brand name.

If I was going to pay $35 a servo I'm getting some Hyperion digital servos.
Well that may be true, but I have 10 flights on them, and they work flawless.

Much smoother than anything I have ever ran. I have around 6 helicopters from 450 to 550 size.

heres my running gear for my 450, I would reccomend it to anyone.

Spektrum DX7
3x Spektrum H3000 Sub-Micro Digital Heli Servo
GY-401 gyro
Futaba 9650 tail servo
Align brushless motor
Some cheesey 35amp esc thats going to be replaced by a 45amp e-flite esc.
Thunder Power 3s 11.1v 2600mah V2

I spend alot of money on my hardware, but it works. The more el' cheapo stuff I remove the better it works

I bought a HK500GT a while back, and it wasent anything to brag about. What plastic that was on it was brittle. Auto rotation gear didnt work...at all. Lots of scratches on the parts.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:23 PM
Barak1001 is offline
Find More Posts by Barak1001
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
I've got about 200 flights on my HS65-HB. I've got about 300 flights on an "el cheapo" EXI head and about 250 flights on an EXI tail. Spektrum and Horizon Hobby don't necessarily represent higher quality, though they do offer a warranty and are available on the phone stateside.

I'd say that a lot of the perceived increase in flight performance for different parts and electronics is a placebo effect. For instance I know quite a few people that will swear that Align motors are horrible, yet apparently your experience has not been the same. I've found that quite a few of the cheaper Chinese electronics are the exact same or better quality than name brand electronics.

I can tell you for a fact that there's no real difference in motor performance when using a HobbyKing SS ESC that costs $10.70 compared to a Castle Creations Phoenix 35a that costs $75 having owned both of them. Sure the Phoenix has more setup options and the ability to set a slower spool up rate, but in the end both of them push the motor exactly the same at 75% throttle.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:41 PM
whiskykid is offline
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
whiskykid's Avatar
hey all!

ok went ta LHS 2day ta c if they had a brushed motor 4 my VNR,no joy

ok they had a trex 450 kit on the shelf, align trex 450sa, it has balstic main and tail. (havn't heard about this kit in all the forums I've read.

it was on sale at just under 220 bucks,I'm pretty shure it comes with everything but the reciever, and batt.

ok the Q is,sense its the plastic version,should I go with a clone,r get the trex with all the trex gear, 4 a few bucks more,and I assume with parts that will all work 2gether,without having ta guess!

thanks the KID!
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:56 AM
sp00fman is offline
Find More Posts by sp00fman
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
mishap yesterday

was doing some low inverted hovering and after that punched it straight up very high, an then let it rainbow forward like i use to do often, but at the top it suddenly went ape-sht, lost orientation and before i realized it was dug in the ground. it "landed" inverted right on the metal head. damage as far as i can see: broken servo horn on elevator (might be the cause), grip bearings, screw in grip snapped off, mainshaft, CF blade. turning on "brake"on the esc IS A GOOD IDEA!
This is the second time it saved me a maingear.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:54 AM
clicky is offline
Find More Posts by clicky
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
turning on "brake"on the esc IS A GOOD IDEA!
This is the second time it saved me a maingear.
Hm. Interesting idea!

BTW Sorry about the mishap, but, I'm sure, it is all for the progress!
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:49 AM
sp00fman is offline
Find More Posts by sp00fman
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
hey all!

ok went ta LHS 2day ta c if they had a brushed motor 4 my VNR,no joy

ok they had a trex 450 kit on the shelf, align trex 450sa, it has balstic main and tail. (havn't heard about this kit in all the forums I've read.

it was on sale at just under 220 bucks,I'm pretty shure it comes with everything but the reciever, and batt.

ok the Q is,sense its the plastic version,should I go with a clone,r get the trex with all the trex gear, 4 a few bucks more,and I assume with parts that will all work 2gether,without having ta guess!

thanks the KID!
Dude!!! Forget the plastic version, go with the balsa wood framed 450!
It will take you a while to find one but its well worth it.. plz only report back after you fount it!


ps. Tell your big brother you need a whacking for abusing his RCgroups account
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:00 AM
Chophop is online now
Find More Posts by Chophop
I want my seahorse back
Chophop's Avatar
Maybe at least 1800 to go before getting concerned for wear ? If you could take the extra weight, I'll bet a set of HS-81's would last forever on the cyclic. They weigh about 16g each. So about 21g total over 9g servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
I've got about 200 flights on my HS65-HB. I've got about 300 flights on an "el cheapo" EXI head and about 250 flights on an EXI tail. Spektrum and Horizon Hobby don't necessarily represent higher quality, though they do offer a warranty and are available on the phone stateside.

I'd say that a lot of the perceived increase in flight performance for different parts and electronics is a placebo effect. For instance I know quite a few people that will swear that Align motors are horrible, yet apparently your experience has not been the same. I've found that quite a few of the cheaper Chinese electronics are the exact same or better quality than name brand electronics.

I can tell you for a fact that there's no real difference in motor performance when using a HobbyKing SS ESC that costs $10.70 compared to a Castle Creations Phoenix 35a that costs $75 having owned both of them. Sure the Phoenix has more setup options and the ability to set a slower spool up rate, but in the end both of them push the motor exactly the same at 75% throttle.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:54 AM
whiskykid is offline
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
whiskykid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Dude!!! Forget the plastic version, go with the balsa wood framed 450!
It will take you a while to find one but its well worth it.. plz only report back after you fount it!


ps. Tell your big brother you need a whacking for abusing his RCgroups account
what is your prob! it was an honest Q
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:03 AM
Barak1001 is offline
Find More Posts by Barak1001
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
Because grown ups generally don't use abbreviations constantly and tend to use better grammar.

I know of several forums where you'd have been banned simply for typing a sentence using "r" instead of "are" and "4" for "for".
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:17 AM
sandos is offline
Find More Posts by sandos
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Because grown ups generally don't use abbreviations constantly and tend to use better grammar.

I know of several forums where you'd have been banned simply for typing a sentence using "r" instead of "are" and "4" for "for".
I have to agree here, the post was really hard to read. If you expect people to spend energy on writing a response, I think its fair to expect you to expend the energy to write comprehensively.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:36 AM
rcpaintworks is offline
Find More Posts by rcpaintworks
The art of airbrush
Anybody seen this: http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001040002 : 450 Kit for US$ 9.90
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:27 PM
jombo is offline
Find More Posts by jombo
Bad News Everyone
jombo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpaintworks View Post
Anybody seen this: http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001040002 : 450 Kit for US$ 9.90
its the plastic version without blades and canopy , same as HK but in green


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zagi-Flash5x-EPA have to be same for aileron and elevators Balin Foamies (Kits) 2 Sep 10, 2001 09:04 PM
Will CP 1300 cells be ok for this? Steve H. Power Systems 15 Jul 17, 2001 10:01 AM
Home for a 450 Turbo dezflyer Electric Plane Talk 6 May 31, 2001 02:04 AM
Will the new CP1300's be suitable for this? Slope Nut Power Systems 3 May 21, 2001 03:19 PM
Soarstar what mods. need to be done for a succesful flight? JEWINE Foamies (Kits) 10 May 06, 2001 09:36 PM