Shanghai's "Hobby" Market - Beijing Lu - RC Groups
Dec 30, 2008, 12:41 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Discussion

Shanghai's "Hobby" Market - Beijing Lu

Thought I'd share a few photos of where an expat hobbyist in China has to go to purchase building materials. Unfortunately, this isn't anything like Hong Kong's hobby district in Mongkok where scores of hobby stores are located, but a street where one can find almost anything needed for scratch building aside from wood & good quality fiberglass resin/matt. Am still looking for the latter since I can't buy West Systems here.

I took these yesterday while on Shanghai's Beijing Lu (Road) which is where the large wholesale markets for adhesives, electronics, hardware, metals, plastics & tools are located. Aside from several large "shopping malls", on the road most of the shops are traditional open storefronts open to the elements.

Sorry I didn't take more photos but the weather was typical for Shanghai - 4° & rain - which kept me from playing tourist. One of our larger hobby stores, Yi Feng Model, is a few kilometers away on Nanjing Road where I go to get paint. 34 bottles - 12kg of paint! - set me back $31.

The last one is of the nearby clothing market on Chipu Lu where one can find my wife on shopping excursions to the big city. She kept reminding me on the CRH to Hangzhou that I spent as more on my hobby supplies than she did on clothes!

Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2008, 01:46 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
why o why cant we have a place like that over here. It costs $12 plus for one length of brass.
Dec 30, 2008, 03:12 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
And to think I was complaining that their prices were tai gai compared to what I pay here in HZ.

For you folks offshore, just think of this as another reason to visit China. For the other half, be sure to tell them how cheap the clothes are - I picked up a "Columbia® Titanium™ Bloodfire parka for 170rmb. In the same 8x10 shop were fake "iPhones®", "iPods®" & various other "brand name" electronics for sale - I passed on those but will be happy with the jacket if it lasts a couple seasons.

Heck, I'll even let you borrow one of my boats for anyone who happens to pass through Hangzhou.
Dec 30, 2008, 08:39 AM
Retired for now
Ya right. I'm gonna be passing through Hangzhou. Maybe in my dreams. Ha! I can't even afford a trip to Ft. Myers which is only 25 miles up the road to visit the only hobby shop in the area.
I do like the idea of the metal shops though. Looks like it would be a good idea for any decent sized hobby or hardware store. But how can they have all open-air stores like that when the temp is so low? Must be pretty uncomfortable shopping like that. maybe ya get used to it. Ha! Pete
Dec 30, 2008, 07:45 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Pete, you'd be surprised how warm you can be wearing 5 layers clutching a mug of hot tea. Even though we're at the same latitude as Jacksonville, FL winter here is more akin to London or Seattle - cold & wet.
Dec 31, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hey Chuck,

Any chance of visiting the glue shop and getting me another pack of two part epoxy, 1 liter plus for 63 rmb and posting to me???.

Mine sprang a leak in the move.
Dec 31, 2008, 05:31 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Aiya! I was at that shop & didn't get any. I know exactly the local brand you want since he showed it to me.

I'm taking Charly, the multi-hull builder, to the local market this weekend & will see what I can find for you.
Dec 31, 2008, 07:20 PM
When is your brother visiting?
Will continue chat on hotmail. Don't want to hijak thread.