Jan 02, 2009, 05:42 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmaur
With Emeter II, we have changed the start screen to be the one you were using when you last switched off.
Very nice! Thanks for incorporating that feature. It has always bugged me (even when I used it earlier today!). I was going to spend my money on a new plane but I think I'll save a little more to purchase an EM-II.

Any word on the battery life or if the internal batteries are replaceable?

-Lee
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2009, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Very nice! Thanks for incorporating that feature. It has always bugged me (even when I used it earlier today!). I was going to spend my money on a new plane but I think I'll save a little more to purchase an EM-II.

-Lee
The batteries are AAA size. Battery capacity is no longer an issue for several reasons - follow the links in posting 1 of this thread to the Emeter II Quick Guide to find out much more than just the battery situation

Phil
Jan 02, 2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr

-Lee
The batts are 750mAh AAA NiMH. They should last a minimum of two years. replacement is easy, as the batts are right there when the bottom of case is removed. Replacement packs will be about $10, and only requires the two leads to be soldered to the solder pads on back of Emeter PCB...

D
Last edited by NipponDave; Jan 16, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Jan 04, 2009, 11:39 AM
Busy time of the year, and I've got a lot going on right now, but don't we all?
I'd like to get "into it more" today, but we'll see.

I received the Emeter V2 yesterday. I have it on charge right now using my 12v Marine/RV battery as a source. The charger is built into the Emeter V2.

Photo shows my V1 on the left and the new V2 on the right. You can see the size comparison to the shunt on the left and new RDU on the right.
Jan 04, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hi Dave

What is the input range for the AUX input ? volt DC ?
If yes, do you suggest a weight scale to interface with this RDU input ?
Best regards
Louis
Jan 05, 2009, 05:08 AM
I do this for fun!
Hi guys,

I've been hanging out for this one - you guys did me a disservice by not continuing to sell the original while this one was in the works.

From looking at the photos and the Datasheet I don't see anything that looks like a shunt which would allow me to use the E-Meter without the RDU.

Have I missed something, or is the RDU always required?

Ken
Jan 05, 2009, 07:08 PM
BEC
BEC
You are correct. The RDU replaces the shunt and there is no way to use the power analyzer portions of the EM-II without the RDU. You can use the tach, the servo/ESC programmers, the stopwatches, and analyze/graph existing log files, but to gather new data, ya gotta have the RDU.

Ken, that's a better EMI/EMII comparo picture than the ones I took for my first article on it.....maybe I'll just steal yours!
Latest blog entry: Back to full capacity
Jan 05, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hi Dave
What are the range + resolution for voltage and current ?
What is the voltage drop of the shunt at full current range ?
(or the value of the shunt in ohm ?)
Thanks
Louis
Jan 06, 2009, 01:31 PM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Damn. Another toy ive got to have...
Jan 08, 2009, 03:38 PM

Oh My Gosh!

Oh My GOSH!

This has been worth the wait!
I've had a good chance to "play" with this new Emeter II and the RDU and I love it.
The firmware update went extremely well, considering I use a Mac! No problems. It does almost everything I'd ever wanted of this type of meter, and even more.
I really like the fact the .log files are really comma delimited text files and I can open and view them in Excel or the spreadsheet for Open Office.
I've been writing up a "preview/review" for the February Ampeer, so I've learned a lot about this new unit.
I can't wait to get the Optional Phase Tachometer!
I showed it off at the Midwest RC Society meeting last night, and there were several "I've got to get one of those." Actually one of my friends is going to try and preorder through http://www.allerc.com
I'll find out if he did tonight when he comes over here for the EFO meeting.
I'll be showing it off even more tonight because these are "electric" guys and because I've learned a whole lot more since last night.

Start saving your dollars, Euros, or whatever. You want one of these!
Jan 08, 2009, 04:08 PM
All electric, all the time!
Wow, sounds great!

I will try and get our site setup for pre-orders by the weekend.

I know I have seen it before, but don't think I have a link to the Ampeer website.

Thanks - Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Jan 08, 2009, 04:59 PM
Link to EFO (Electric Flyers Only of southeastern Michigan) site:

http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/

Link to most recent issue of the Ampeer near the top of the page.

Link to 13 months of Ampeers online:

http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/ampeer.html

Everyone stop on over at the site when you get a chance and check us out.
We've been an all electric AMA club since January/February 1988. That's a while now.

We've been online since Jan. 1996.

Yes, the Emeter II is a total WOW!

Ken
Jan 08, 2009, 10:14 PM
BEC
BEC
Sounds like I'd better get my "part I" finished quickly. I was hoping to have the phase sensor and at least one temp sensor in hand first....but maybe I should just go for it.

Yes, it is impressive. And I'm not surprised at all that the firmware went fine with a Mac as intermediary - after all, Stuffit will deal just fine with .zip archives. Then all one needs to do is get the files onto the SD card and the Emeter II can take it from there.
Latest blog entry: Back to full capacity
Jan 10, 2009, 07:25 AM
Updated the firmware to version 2.07 yesterday and wrote my first program for the Servo Tester part of the Emeter II to run the ESC up to full throttle, hold it for 5 seconds and then shut down while gathering motor data using the ANALYSER of the Emeter II.
I'll be giving it a go later today.
Jan 10, 2009, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
Updated the firmware to version 2.07 yesterday and wrote my first program for the Servo Tester part of the Emeter II to run the ESC up to full throttle, hold it for 5 seconds and then shut down while gathering motor data using the ANALYSER of the Emeter II.
I'll be giving it a go later today.
Good luck Ken - if you can pick a prop. for which reasonable prop constants are held, then you should be able to see the variation in efficiency with throttle setting. Beware, 'though that a change from or to a given throttle setting will give a transient blip in the efficiency. I suggest you try for the five second run at each speed, and ignore the transient readings. With a high capacity battery (or a power supply), I would expect the readings to be very steady and all the more so once you get the phase sensor tacho.

Phil

Quick Reply