Jan 10, 2009, 02:05 PM

Motor test just got easier!

I "test" motors for one reason, I want to add them to the Drive Calculator Database. http://www.drivecalc.de

I just did my new special wind Scorpion S-3020-11T. I let the Servo Tester run up the motor while capturing the data to the log files. I ran four prop tests and two no load tests, which is the data needed to enter into Drive Calculator. It took no time at all because I didn't have to use Snapshots of the data and average them like on the Emeter I.
I pulled the data from the SD card and entered it into Drive Calculator and got the most accurate "model" of a motor I've ever had.
I've attached a screen capture of the DC screen showing that DC thinks the accuracy is very, very good. The prop shown on the screen capture is a Master Airscrew 10x8 G/F 3. You can see what it predicts. The numbers I captured with the Emeter II for the same prop are in the box at the bottom left of the screen; 8.82v, 8715 RPM, 34.55 amps.
DC says 8681 RPM and 34.8 amps at the same 8.82v. I'd sure say that is close enough and the Emeter II made doing this EXTREMELY simple.
I love this tool!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2009, 03:25 PM
CamLight Systems
I am very excited to hear about the Servo Tester mode. Thanks for the tests and info Ken!

John
Jan 10, 2009, 05:38 PM
One feature I don't think I've mentioned here is the ability to measure the pack IR. I did mention it in another thread, but not here.
That's kind of cool. There are just a ton of way too cool things about this Emeter II.

I'm thinking about possibly posting my article about it before the Ampeer comes out, since the release date is January 20th for the Emeter II. If you are into motor/battery/prop testing, you really do want to save your hard earned dollars for this one.
Jan 11, 2009, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
Thanks David! We have been anticipating this one!
No kidding!! It has been years since Hyperion were suppose to come out with EMeter II to replace thier discontinued original EMeter. I certainly like to know exactly what was the cause of major delay.

Brian
Jan 11, 2009, 02:26 AM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave

But we are considering simpler RDU options to lower the cost with a reduced feature set, or if that isn't feasible on cost basis, perhaps a very compact stand-alone inflight unit with LED display of V,A,W, and min/maxes.

David
Dave, why don't you just re-start production of the old eMeter for those who want mainly the watt meter, tach and PC data logging. That unit is by no means obsolete, and still in demand. Mine is the most useful eflight tool I have. I think you're missing a lot of sales opportunity by not having that in your product list.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 11, 2009 at 02:36 AM.
Jan 11, 2009, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Dave, why don't you just re-start production of the old eMeter for those who want mainly the watt meter, tach and PC data logging. That unit is by no means obsolete, and still in demand. Mie is the most useful eflight tool I have. I think you're missing a lot of sales opportunity by not having that in your product list.
I will save David's time by answering this. The LCD panel in the Emeter 1 became unavailable from the suppliers and gave us no option but to come up with a new design. I know of a few people already who plan to use the new version 2 and are going to sell their old models, so there could well be some version 1 Emeters, on the second hand market.

Phil
Jan 11, 2009, 09:48 AM
Component obsolecense is a big challenge for all of us involved in product design.
Quote:
...The LCD panel in the Emeter 1 became unavailable from the suppliers and gave us no option but to come up with a new design...
Which begs the question as to what will prevent the same problem afflicting the new design ?
Jan 11, 2009, 06:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Are LCD screens so specialized as to be custom made? Seems like they should be available from more than one supplier... maybe not?
Jan 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Component obsolecense is a big challenge for all of us involved in product design.Which begs the question as to what will prevent the same problem afflicting the new design ?
The issue with the original Emeter LCD was actually with the LCD controller IC. It used 5V logic, and was discontinued by the chip manufacturer. The move in the electronics industry to lower supply voltages forced us to re-design the Emeter. And, while we were at it, we decided to add a few more features...

The components selected for EmeterII will be available for many more years to come.
Jan 11, 2009, 07:09 PM
tree scavenger
I'd entertain a reasonably priced 2nd-hand E-1.
er....in the meantime
Jan 11, 2009, 07:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Connolly
The issue with the original Emeter LCD was actually with the LCD controller IC. It used 5V logic, and was discontinued by the chip manufacturer. The move in the electronics industry to lower supply voltages forced us to re-design the Emeter. And, while we were at it, we decided to add a few more features...

The components selected for EmeterII will be available for many more years to come.
I see... what a shame for the old one, but the new eMeter is a wonderful looking tool... just a bit out of my price range. Fortunately my old eMeter is still working like new!
Jan 11, 2009, 07:35 PM
Not only wonderful looking, but wonderful working.
Nice job Mark and Phil! Actually, Great Job.
Jan 12, 2009, 04:38 AM
Ken
Just to be non ambiguous
Master Airscrew 10x8 G/F 3. ref : is it 3 blades ?
Tractor (= right viewed from back air flow) ?
Regards
Louis
Jan 12, 2009, 07:16 AM
Louis,

It is the two blade black composite prop labeled G/F 3 Series. I used it on my Son of Swallow late in the year (3S "A123" and 1200Kv power system) to see how it "flew" compared to the other props I'd been using on the SoS. I liked it, so it will be the first one I try on the new project when it is ready to go. I was surprised actually, as I'd tried the MA black props over 25-years ago and found them wanting for e-flight. These are a different shape, and at least this one (10x8) seems to work well in this application for a fairly "clean" "fly on the wing" sport plane.
Jan 12, 2009, 10:50 PM
All electric, all the time!
If any of you want a used Emeter 1 do a search as I saw several go up for sale on RCGroups today.

Quick Reply