Jan 04, 2009, 11:38 AM
TLAR Aviation
What a pleasure to see an OT that hasn't been disfigured by the use of those hideous rubber bands that so many people still seems to use! Why anyone would even think of doing that is indeed one of the great mysteries of life.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2009, 02:36 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
... but it looks like there's a renewed interest of late. I hope so, I'd like to do more of theses.

PAT

PAT

Pat,

Any hints at what may be next?

Last edited by wingbeat; Jan 04, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Jan 04, 2009, 05:10 PM
Here's a few;

Commodore, New Ruler, Buzzard Bombshell,
Connie, Connie, Connie.........DST, DST, DST..........

Just to name a few..................

TTFN The Yank
Jan 05, 2009, 12:33 AM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle

For those not familiar with the bowing process have a look at the how too here; http://patscustom-models.com/building_tips.htm
Looks like a Lancer fin in the tutorial
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Jan 05, 2009, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Wing, The next one that comes to mind, and I already have the plans scanned to 8 1/2 X 11 for tracing, is the Cloud Cruiser. Will see how the Quaker does, then decide wheather it'll be worth the time to pursue this type of thing or not.

PAT
Jan 05, 2009, 06:19 PM
Thread OP

Working Out the Last of the Details

Got the last of the details in place on the Quaker this afternoon. The battery and ESC were mounted and the battery access hatch made up.

Also added a landing gear cross brace so the gear wouldn't be quite so springy. then mounted up the prop to finish the front end.
Jan 05, 2009, 06:25 PM
Thread OP

And With That, the Quaker is Ready To Fly

With the windows all in place and the CG set up, the radio was installed and programmed, and she's ready for a maiden. Using the Thunderpower 1320 2S battery, the flying weight came out to 13.5 oz, which puts the wing loading just under 5 oz./ sq. ft. Should be a real floater.

Just looked out the window thinking about a maiden flight and see that its windy and snowing, and there's a real low ceiling, so will wait for a better day to maiden. Will get the in-flight shots posted up as soon as she's flown.

PAT
Jan 05, 2009, 07:12 PM
Pat,
The Quaker looks wounderful!! One thing though, don't put helium in the wheels. Might make it a bit tail-heavy. Have no fear - maiden will go without a hitch. As for being worth the time - there are a lot of old timers out there that still like to build. I'm one of them.

TTFN The Yank

P.S. The kits arrived in great shape. Will keep you posted on the Cub Build.
Jan 05, 2009, 09:11 PM
Havin FUN
Pat,
GREAT Job...Its a Beauty... been following thread..hiding in the bushes.
According to this:

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KABQ&state=NM

Looks like 5AM or 11PM Tuesday would be good to maiden ! Quacker hanging
in our LHS built by a good friend and given to the owner, NEVER flown and a beauty.
Good Luck
Don - Basehor, Ks
Jan 05, 2009, 10:06 PM
Thread OP
Don, I checked weatherunderground.com and it looks like at our zip code Thursday is about our only hope this week. The good news though is that the forecast is usually wrong, so will go to the old stand-by of looking out the window when I get up. The flying spot is less then a quarter mile from the house, so if the neighbor's flag is limp, it'll be good there too.

Unfortunately, when I dash out on the spur of the moment like that I'm by myself so won't get in-flight shots, but can sure pass along the pilot's report.

PAT
Jan 06, 2009, 05:52 AM
H.E.

Quaker Flash

From Potugal
Jan 06, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Got up this morning to winds at 6, gusting to 21. The neighbors flag looks like painted plywood -- not even a ripple! I think I'll wait for a better day for the maiden

Drumy, Your Quaker looks great! Love the color scheme.

PAT
Jan 07, 2009, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
It looks like we might get to fly in the morning -- maybe??? The cameraman is all lined up, so if the winds finally die down overnight (like they're supposed to), we'll be in business.

PAT
Jan 07, 2009, 06:57 PM

maiden

Popcorn is ready for that 20min video

Bill
Jan 07, 2009, 06:58 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Sweet plane Drumy... is that a Saito 30?

Quick Reply