Dec 29, 2008, 08:00 PM
WOW!!!!!!

YOU DID IT AGAIN!! 18 MINUTES FOR TAIL FEATHERS, WING, SERVOS, BASICALLY COMPLETED AIRFRAME!! There has got to be a time warp in your building room. Covering in 10 minutes????

That framework is absolutely BEAUTIFULL!! How about a basic grey color with pink trim?? 1950's colors?? Goes with the timeframe...........

Love your work... The Yank
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2008, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Bill, The first p-type that George built came out right around 13 oz. if memory serves. I love em' when they're that light, but George likes them better a little heavier, so he's going to try a 2100 battery and see how it does a couple oz. heavier. I'm guessing mine will come out around 12 oz. and will be just plain dangerouse in lift with that undercambered wing.

I'm using Microlite for cover -- actually, I got started covering late this afternoon. Will be doing it up in red and yellow so it'll be easy to see from 10,000 feet.

PAT
Dec 29, 2008, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeeone
WOW!!!!!!

YOU DID IT AGAIN!! 18 MINUTES FOR TAIL FEATHERS, WING, SERVOS, BASICALLY COMPLETED AIRFRAME!! There has got to be a time warp in your building room. Covering in 10 minutes????

That framework is absolutely BEAUTIFULL!! How about a basic grey color with pink trim?? 1950's colors?? Goes with the timeframe...........

Love your work... The Yank
Yank, There's something in the shop that's warped alright, but I'm not sure it's time -- at least according to my wife, that is

And after working up the last two scale models this one has really been a breeze. A simple build is good for you now and again, very refreshing.

PAT
Dec 30, 2008, 08:17 PM
Pat,

I know the fealing. People are always telling me "You ain't right". I also smile a lot........ and people are always asking me "What are you up to?". Sooner or later they always find out..........much to my happiness.

TTFN The Yank
Dec 30, 2008, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle

And after working up the last two scale models this one has really been a breeze. A simple build is good for you now and again, very refreshing.

PAT
Hi!
i agree!! been working 2 years with scale spitfire, building a huge oldtimer is 100% refreshing.. working with balsa is bliss!!
beautiful work!! keep it up and happy new year!!

cheers

Jukka
Dec 31, 2008, 12:37 PM
North East England
Looking great, Pat - definitely can't beat all built-up balsa construction. Most satisfying model I ever built was my old Super 60 and not a laser cutter in sight at that time Happy days indeed.

Steve
Dec 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Red, I know what you mean, and that laser cutting will make a guy lazy! Since I started working in CAD and building with laser cut parts I've been able to work up a design with more complex parts that actually makes the build quicker easier. Pretty cool stuff really, but scratch building those designs get tricky because of the difficulty cutting out the more complex parts..

PAT
Jan 03, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Cover

Been slowly but steadily getting the cover on. Kind of an odd scheme for an OT, but used up a few scraps, and found a way to make it show up from 10,000 feet on a sunny day when the lift is good.
Jan 03, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thread OP

A Couple of Minor Details

Got the motor compartment dressed yp nicely and ready to get the motor installed. Also got the Trexlers mounted using an axle assembly that is held in place with a wheel collar on the inside only.

Now the only thing left is to mount the motor and hook up the controls, add the windows, set up the CG and mount the battery. Won't be long now.

PAT
Jan 03, 2009, 10:21 PM

quaker

Excellent Pat, really nice. Going to have to order one I think, what is the span again?

Bill
Jan 03, 2009, 10:30 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Nice looking Quaker , Pat. You do very nice work..!!! Really want to see her go soon!!
cash
Jan 04, 2009, 08:20 AM
she is a beauty! good luck for the maiden!

cheers

Jukka
Jan 04, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590
Excellent Pat, really nice. Going to have to order one I think, what is the span again?

Bill
The wing span is 55". I also used the original 108" Dallaire undercambered airfoil on this one.

Cash, Jukka, Thanks for that, am really looking forward to getting this one going, should be fun flying around with the other Old Timers that are beginning to appear around these parts. Here in ABQ OT's died about 15 years ago, but it looks like there's a renewed interest of late. I hope so, I'd like to do more of theses.

PAT

PAT
Jan 04, 2009, 09:43 AM
Pat;
Beautiful job Pat!! That looks absolutely AWESOME! The colors you chose DO show up very nicely at altitude. They are very similar to the colors I have on my 52" Dallaire Sportster (see pic on page 2 of the first Quaker build). I have had no trouble with orientation at 1,000 feet or higher. These old-timers CAN NOT be beat.

TTFN The Yank
Jan 04, 2009, 11:07 AM
Planecrazy in Lodi
I would agree that for just plain fun in relaxed, "lazy-day" thermal flying, and even just stooging around and doing touch and goes, Old Timers are hard to beat. The only real limitation to this kind of flying is wind. While it's entirely possible to fly this type of model in reasonably gentle winds, especially if it's not too turbulent, you do have to watch out not to get too far downwind. With their usually light wingloading and often very draggy airfoils (especially the deeply undercambered ones like the Dallaire one Pat has used here), they don't really penetrate very well, and you can easily find yourself downwind too far to get back to the flying site against the wind if you're not careful.

As a side benefit, Old Timers are generally very easy to fly and even make pretty good "primary" trainers. Being normally not overpowered, having a lot of built-in stability, and with only two flying functions to worry about (rudder and elevator), they make for very easy-to-fly training planes for first-time student R/C pilots.

Kermit

Quick Reply