Building the PCM 55" Quaker Flash - RC Groups
Dec 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
Build Log

Building the PCM 55" Quaker Flash

After flying the original design prototype that George built a few times I just had to have one of my own. So, got started on the build this week.

It all began with the fuselage. The side frames were laid out over the plan, then joined over the top/bottom view beginning at the cabin.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2008, 03:00 PM

Joining the Tail

The toughest part of joining the fuselage frames on these lightweight structures is getting the tail joined nice and square. On this design I used a stab mounting platform that keys into the fuselage sides to help this sort of self align. The tail skid mount is then fitted into the bottom, followed by all the formers and cross pieces.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 28, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Dec 27, 2008, 03:03 PM

Adding the Stringers and Cabin Outfill

With the main frame finished, the stringers, cabin outfill, front sheeting and landing gear were added. Still need to do a bit of detail sanding, but for the most part the structure is finished.

Next, we move on to the tail section.

PAT
Dec 28, 2008, 03:38 PM
WOW!!!!

ACCORDING TO THE POST TIMES YOU CAN BUILD A FUSELAGE IN 8 MINUTES!!! Must be some kind of time warp in your house...... I know there are none in your planes. Or has something to do with smoke and mirrors.......... (BTW, I hate to look in mirrors too).

I look forward to seeing your Flash completed. Also, can't waite to receive the Cub and Standard kits.

TTFN Yankeeone
Dec 28, 2008, 06:12 PM

Quaker

Great job Pat!!!!!!

Bill
Dec 28, 2008, 06:29 PM
Yankeeone, Rats, I'm slowing down, did the first one in 7 minutes flat! But that's OK, wait till you see how quickly I get the wings and tail parts together.

Williame, Thanks, I really like working up these old birds, and it just can't help but come out looking like fun.

PAT
Dec 28, 2008, 08:58 PM
That's OK Pat. We seam to do things slower as time goes by, but time seams to go by MUCH FASTER the older we get. Just remember, this does NOT mean we have to grow up.

TTFN Yankeeone (AKA Craig....)

PS Remember, haste makes waste............ 'course with the waste we could probably build 2 or 3 planes..........
Dec 28, 2008, 09:01 PM
Very clean and beautifully built!
looks very light! keep it coming.

cheers

Jukka
Dec 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
We seam to do things slower as time goes by, but time seams to go by MUCH FASTER the older we get. Just remember, this does NOT mean we have to grow up.

Yank, That's a fact -- just remember, life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes. And I am also very happy to hear that growing up is optional.

Jukka, Thanks much, I appreciate the kind words. Meanwhile, I have lots of pictures of the model from today's progress up to its current state. Will get them processed and posted up in the morning. I'd do it tonight but its past my bedtime -- just like in my first childhood.

PAT
Dec 29, 2008, 09:50 AM

The Tail Section

The first Quaker built didn't have the diagonal bracing in the vertical and horizontal stabs, and as a resuelt were easily warped when shrinking the cover. On mine I added all that stuff, and since the CG on George's model actually came out too far forward, a little added weight at the back won't hurt at all.

For those not familiar with the bowing process have a look at the how too here; http://patscustom-models.com/building_tips.htm
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 29, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Dec 29, 2008, 09:54 AM

Moving On to the Wing

Wing construction begins with building up the main and rear spar assemblies. The spars are too long to laser cut on a single sheet, so were seperated into two sections each. Then with the middle section and dihedral braces it all builds up into a one piece unit each for the front and rear.

The spar assemblies are then built into the center section assembly.
Dec 29, 2008, 09:58 AM

Building the Outer Panels

First, the ribs were slipped onto the spare assemblies. The RH panel was then pinned to the board and the LE, TE, and wing tip bows added.

Then once the RH panel was finished, the wing was tilted the other way and the LH panel built up the same way.
Dec 29, 2008, 10:05 AM

Moving Back Into the Fuselage

The servo mount beams were glued in and the servos mounted. The elevator pushrod tube is a Sullivan #507 tube, and the pushrod itself will be made up from .025 steel wire.

One of the biggest hang-ups in getting the servos mounted is getting the beams spaced right, and glued in parrellel to each other. I solved that problem by building a simple tool that lays in on top of the beams to hold them in position for gluing. I use only a couple of different sservos, and will make one for each individual servo.
Dec 29, 2008, 10:08 AM

Prepping for Cover

With all the framing chores finished, the model was detail sanded and made ready for cover. I don't have the motor yet, so will have to hold off with mounting till it gets here, but otherwise, she's about done. Still need to set up the wing bolts yet, but that's no big deal, will get that handled today.

PAT
Dec 29, 2008, 04:54 PM

Quaker build

I'll bet that's a great little performer once airborn. What will be your covering of choice? colour?

Bill