Mar 04, 2003, 08:38 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Thread OP

Peter Rake Camel update

It's gettin' close to being done. Got the wings covered and base colors painted. Here's some pics of the fuselage so far. Since the wings get mounted permanently to this model I'm going to do most of the detailing before final assembly.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2003, 08:38 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Thread OP
Today's project was painting the Pilot. Tried some new techniques on this one. He's one of William's brothers. William has got a lot of brothers and they all look like clones, so I modified this guy from a 1/8 scale bust to look a little different.
Mar 04, 2003, 08:40 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Thread OP
Hand painted lettering. Reminder to self: do this before mounting the fin next time, ughh!
Mar 04, 2003, 09:37 PM
Balsa Builder
Gerald, that looks awesome. What's your power setup? And the final AUW?

--Paul
www.oldschoolrc.com
Mar 04, 2003, 10:47 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Thread OP
Paul, the power is a Graupner 7.2v speed400 with a 2.33:1 gearbox. Prop is a wooden 10x7 re-carved to scale-like appearance.

All-up weight is 21oz with an 8 cell pack of 1000mAH HEcells. It will probably gain about 1/2 oz more as I finish it. Still have to add rigging, a few screws, markings, etc.

With a wing area of approximately 390 sqin, this will result in a fairly light wing loading of about 8oz/sqft. Motocalc says about 66W/lb and 500fpm climb rate. Stall speed 13mph.
Mar 05, 2003, 04:36 AM
What did you use for the burnished metal nose effect? Almost looks like lithoplate, but at that size model I think the litho would be to heavy?
Mar 05, 2003, 09:50 AM
Gerald,
Absolutely superb mate, love the metal nose and the cartridge chutes. If you do as good a job on this as you have on your Tommy - and it looks that way already - it will be a fantastic model.

Pete
Last edited by PETERRAKE; Mar 24, 2003 at 06:54 AM.
Mar 05, 2003, 06:26 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Thread OP
The metalic nose finish is Oracover "shiny chrome" iron-on film. It has been scuffed with fine sandpaper and steel wool to give the brushed look. Actually the cartridge chutes are litho plate but they add insignificant weight being so tiny. Two more of those to add at the upper positions.

Here's today's work: cockpit coaming and panel detail.
Mar 05, 2003, 06:49 PM

Excellent!

Nice work! I really like that wood grain around the cockpit as well as the burnished aluminum cowling.

jc
Mar 05, 2003, 09:42 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Gerald, how did you:
get the panel design?
simulate the plywood deck around the cockpit?
what did you use for the cockpit combing?

That's all until you post your next picture. Good work!!
Mar 05, 2003, 10:20 PM
Over Engineered
Hey that pilot looks like the one next to your name!

Did he shave for the photo with the Camel?

Great looking model. Super detail.
Mar 05, 2003, 11:33 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Thread OP
Greg, I searched the web until I found a picture of a Camel instrument panel. Then I scaled the picture and printed it on my photo-printer, cut it to fit, and glued it on. Easy!

The plywood-grain decking is paint. Do it like this: First paint it overall in a single medium shade. Then put a little of a lighter shade and a little of a darker shade of paints next to one another on your pallette. Use about a 1/2" coarse, stiff bristle brush to apply the graining effect. You want to just dip the tips of the bristles in a little of both of the two colors on the pallette and swish in the middle just a little to get them to mix just slightly. This leaves a range of shades across the tips of the bristles. Then paint this onto the medium base color on the model in long, light, wavy strokes, kind of like scratching it on. Don't put it on so heavy that it completely hides the base color.

Sorry, I can't tell you about the cockpit coaming, or I'd have to kill you. Well, you'll probably die trying it anyway so here goes: First you need the "leather" covering. This is very thin black vinyl. (It is actually black electrical tape with the adhesive rubbed off with acetone ).

Then borrow your wife's sewing machine and set the stitch size to 6/inch. Sew a line of stitches down one side of the tape. This is just for looks, you don't actually sew anything together. You won't be able to get that close to the edge so you'll need to trim the tape closer after stitching it.

Next glue a bead of fat fuzzy yarn around the perimeter edge of the cockpit opening. This will be the "stuffing".

Then start to apply the leather covering by tacking down the first end with medium CA (sparingly). Be sure you made a long enough piece before starting this. Just do the outside edge with the stitching first, you don't wrap it over the stuffing until it's all glued down around the outside.

Go about an inch at a time applying glue next to the yarn then guiding the covering up into place against it. Hold that section in place 'til it sticks.

When you've finished the outer perimeter, then wrap it over the yarn stuffing and tuck it under the inside of the cockpit edge and glue in place. It may help to warm it a bit with the heat gun in stubborn curves. It gets a little wrinkly here and there but that's OK, it looks good like that.
Mar 06, 2003, 09:08 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Combing looks exquisite. But you realize you're absolutely nutters right?
Mar 06, 2003, 09:17 AM
Over Engineered
Allan
Nicely Put!!!

You have to admire people with the paitence and time to do that kind of flying artwork.

"Nutters" is that a technical slang term like SNAFU?

Gerald
As Peter would put it, "Just haveing a smile"!
Mar 06, 2003, 11:15 AM
Robert,
Don't you include me in this, I think it's fantastic. I just wish I could spend that much time on each model.

I'm sure nutter must be a technical term, Naturally Ultra Tallented something or other. Probably, Total Envy Recipient - N.U.T.T.E.R.

Pete

Quick Reply