Designer/Builder
The pressure is all on Mark!(^:
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2009, 08:57 AM
Flying electric since 1986
Thread OP
Oh no! We are doomed.
Jan 07, 2009, 11:40 AM
What power system are you planning to use?
Jan 07, 2009, 11:48 AM
Designer/Builder
I was going to recommend something like a Hacker A30-14L. This motor with a 14x7 or 12x6 prop and 3S LiPo should do just fine. Pitch speed would be ~45mph with plenty of power. The 14" might be too big for the L.G. height, but you could easily clip off 1/2" from the prop to give a more scale outline.

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Jan 07, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Jan 07, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
I'm looking into the Scorpion outrunners. They have a few that are close to the Hacker A30-10XL (and -12XL)
Jan 07, 2009, 02:11 PM
The Scorpion S-3020-16 is about the same weight and Kv as the Hacker Jim referenced. If you can swing a 14" dia. prop a 14x7E should pull about 37 - 40 amps on a 3S Li-Po.

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=207

http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...16%20Specs.htm

I just finished hooking up my Scorpion Commander v2 ESC and I have to get the instructions online because the printed instructions that came with it are too small for me to read. I hate being blind! Dang old age.

I've got a S-3020-11 special wind that I want to test with my new Emeter II.
Jan 07, 2009, 02:31 PM
Not to hack this thread, but since you guys are all from the Midwest, will there be another Mid-Am this summer??
Jan 07, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
The Scorpion S-3020-16 is about the same weight and Kv as the Hacker Jim referenced. If you can swing a 14" dia. prop a 14x7E should pull about 37 - 40 amps on a 3S Li-Po.
Thanks Ken. That's one of the motors I had looked at. A 12 inch prop would be very close to scale. I think a motor that would spin something like a 12x8 at 30-35 amps on 3s would fit the bill nicely.
Jan 07, 2009, 03:11 PM
That's probably the -14 instead of the -16. Take a look at the prop chart. I was going to suggest that, but pointed to the one that was closer to what Jim had suggested. I was thinking a 12-inch diameter as well.

OT answer, I'm planning on a Mid-Am 2009 and I'm pretty sure Keith is. It should be the weekend of July 11 & 12, if I looked at the calendar correctly.
Jan 07, 2009, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
OT answer, I'm planning on a Mid-Am 2009 and I'm pretty sure Keith is. It should be the weekend of July 11 & 12, if I looked at the calendar correctly.
I hope you guys realize that if you tried to cancel we'd all show up anyway and drag you out to the field kicking and screaming.
Jan 07, 2009, 04:53 PM
If that's the correct weekend, then I can make it this year.

Sorry Mark, The Waco is looking great by the way!

I've built Jim's H-1 and he is an excellent designer! Still have the Comet in the box in the basement, it's next up on the board, with this great Midwest weather, building is the perfect thing to do!!
Jan 08, 2009, 12:20 PM
Designer/Builder
Looking at the Scorpion motors, I might go with the 3020-14. The Kv is 944 which will get the pitch speed up to ~45mph with a 12x6E. That should about 3x the stall speed and give spirited performance when you want it.

-Jim
Jan 08, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Young
Looking at the Scorpion motors, I might go with the 3020-14. The Kv is 944 which will get the pitch speed up to ~45mph with a 12x6E. That should about 3x the stall speed and give spirited performance when you want it.

-Jim

I agree. That's probably what I'll go with.

I'll have a build update with a few pics later today.
Jan 08, 2009, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
After several failed attempts, I finally came up with a serviceable landing gear! Accurately bending music wire is not one of my talents. With the gear bent I could start gluing up the fuselage crutch structure.

The cabine struts will plug into brass tubes in the fuselage. They are located and held to the formers by "C" shaped ply pieces. The magnets are holding the former flat to the board while the epoxy sets. I'll come back later and add gussets to strengthen the mounts further:

The forward gear leg is held captive by the fuselage crutch, the rear legs needed to be attached somehow. I decided to move the rear leg forward just enough to allow a pair of nylon straps attached to the crutch with 2-56 bolts.

With the gear in place and the battery tray held in place I started tacking the crutch pieces together with CA. When I had enough places tacked so that the structure was stable I removed the battery tray and went back over all the joints with CA, then epoxied the wing mount in place (held in place with blue tape while it sets).

Once everything is set up, I'll add some cross grain triangle stock in the more stressed areas.

While I had the epoxy mixed up, I went ahead and put together the rear fuselage crutch. It's two layers of 1/16 balsa laminated together and will temporarily locate the rear fuselage formers until the stringers are in place:

The vertical stab needs to be built before the fuselage can be completed. I sanded one side of my laminated outline flat and set in in place over the plan. Then the rest of the structure was added in, standard stuff. The trailing edge of the stab and leading edge of the rudder are 3/16 dowel rods, so I used some sandpaper wrapped around scrap dowel to shape the joints.

The rudder and elevators are attached with homemade strap hinges. I won't go into the details of making them because Jim made a great how-to video that explains the process much better than I could. The only thing I did differently than he shows in the video was that I didn't cut the rudder loose from the vertical stab until after I made the hinges.

Rudder cut free:

Hinges in place:

Last edited by Mark Wolf; Aug 03, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Jan 09, 2009, 12:02 PM
Designer/Builder
Photos????

Quick Reply