New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2003, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Al P
small electrics r BIG FUN

Which Li-Poly pack for a Tiger Moth ?

Considering the purchase of a Li Poly pack for my stock GWS Tiger Moth. Right now I'm using a 7x300 GP Nimh pack. What are you folks using in your Moths, and where to purchase them ?

Thanks

Al
Last edited by Al P; Mar 04, 2003 at 12:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2003, 12:24 PM
LJH
Find More Posts by LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Al,
Hmm...seem to be spending time in all the same places . My brother and I are both having great success with 2S 1020 Kokams, for under $20.00 you can build yourself a pack that will give 60 min flight times, and lose a little weight. My brother is flying his in his TM and I have them in my SR Bantam Bipe. I got mine from Troy at www.b-p-p.com He is a nice guy and offers great service.

Cheers again,
Jim
Old Mar 04, 2003, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by Al P
Hi Jim, and thanks again !

Yeah.....it's snowing and blowing out. I have to go outside eventually, but putting it off. Thanks for the suggestions, and I agree about Troy. I checked his website earlier and unfortunately he has lost a family member. Sorry to hear that Troy. I'll check back with you at a later date.

Best to all

Al
Old Mar 04, 2003, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by anixs
I'm using a 830mAh pack from http://www.lightflightrc.com -- it fits in the Tiger Moth's battery compartment with no need to hack foam or make CG adjustments. And, I can easily fly for 45+ minutes on it. Battery is less than $20.

You'll get more runtime from the Kokams, but you have alter your plane to use them.
Old Mar 04, 2003, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by tenover
Certified Slopehead
Thanks for the tip anixs....I just ordered one of the 830 li-ions from them. You're really getting 45 minute flight times? With what kind of throttle management? I bought a similar pack at the MWE a few weeks ago and charged it, then bench ran it and now I'm getting short 3-5 minute "burst" runs, then have to land, then do it again,etc....I've since changed the motor out for a new one, so I'm hoping a new pack will solve my problems. Did you charge it before you ran it the first time or does it come charged?
Old Mar 04, 2003, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by Al P
Thanks for the tip anixs, but the 830 appears to be Li-ion not Li poly. I am trying to stay away from the li-ion and the dangers associated with them. I understand the li-poly packs are much safer.

Al
Old Mar 05, 2003, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by anixs
tenover,

I usually fly the moth at full throttle. A friend and I went to the field armed with two 830 packs, and we left 2 hours later (all of that time spent flying). The packs come precharged. I love them! We were flying -5 C weather, I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Unfortunately that specific pack is not useful in anything bigger than an IPS-A motor running a 9x7 or 10x4.8 prop. That means it's perfect for the moth.

Al,

Good point -- they are LiIon. No problems so far, however.