Jun 20, 2001, 04:54 PM
Thread OP

Whatever happened to customer service?

A rash of situations where different companies basically took the opinion: "Screw you!" has me wondering if there are any companies left that actually go the extra mile for the customer.

For instance: I walk into the post office at exactly 5:00pm according to the clock on their wall. The service area's doors have long been locked. I wait and a worker comes to the door and explains that when their clock says 5pm they are closed and then turns to the workers and says "unless anyone wants to help you?.....no? OK" then closes the door in my face and locks it.

A trip to UPS takes care of that issue.

I should have seen it comeing as a few weeks before while shipping some items from that location, the line had grown long enough to trail through the door into the PO box area. One of the workers said "It's hot in here, could you step back and let us close the doors to keep it cool in here?" About 6 people graciously step back and the doors are then closed and locked! Yep, 5pm.......

In addition, my parents are having issues with the paint comeing off and rust forming on a 2 1/2 year old car (14 spots on the top - a factory defect) and the dealer will not cover it under warranty even though the manufacturer customer service says they should. - "Oh, corrosion protection is for fenders, not tops"!?!?

I could go on and on with similar instances of poor customer service but it would fill a book.

Why do people put up with poor customer service? Why support a company that could care less?

Is it just me or what? Are there any good companies left?

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2001, 06:05 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
I disagree. I think, while accidents may happen, many people truly try to make the customer happy. I've seen numerous posts here where a retailer went the extra mile.

Last weekend I stopped by a convenience store to grab something to drink. The clerk rang it up, took my money, then stopped, scanned the drink again and said "I thought so, this is a buy one, get one free special. Go get another one".

It made my day.

Respectfully,

Doug Binder
Jun 20, 2001, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Oh they are out there and I have done and continue to do business with them, but they are few and far between. Especially in a town who's population is mostly university. I guess most figure they get a new group of students to screw over next year..........

Steve
Jun 20, 2001, 06:28 PM
Steve, check out my reply in the "shipping policies" thread this forum.

Have faith, I think most shops/vendors want to give good service. There is always the "unknown". Meaning you never know what kind of day the person on the other end of the phone has had or what is going on in their life. Granted people should leave that sort of thing at the door when they go to work, but sometimes it's hard to do for all of us. Sometimes by giving them a break it will be just the thing to swing their day the other direction.

I've always found it fascinating to see someone who is obviously having a bad day... just shoot a smile their way and you can virtually see the change imediately.

On the flip side of that, if I continualy receive attitude from a business or person there is obviously something else going on and they're not worth my time or money.

Food for thought.

Tom
Jun 20, 2001, 11:41 PM
Anyone see the movie "Falling Down"? I loved the scene when he was at the fast food place and it was 1 minute before the breakfast/lunch split so they wouldn't serve him a hamburger. Well, his response was a bit drastic - but the movie had it's merrits.

I was pulling in to the McDonald's drive through line the other day (don't normally eat there but was hungry and they were close. It was Sunday and it was approximately 10:58am. I pulled up to the "face to face" window and ordered a hamburger and a coke. The lady politely said that they were not serving lunch yet. I asked what time they started to serve lunch. She said that on Sunday's they don't serve lunch until 11:00 am. During this conversation the clock behind her now indicated 10:59 am. She looked at it and looked back at me and asked if there was another item, a breakfast item I would like...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, in disbelief, politely said "you're kidding right?" and thought about sitting there another minute - but instead asked if she could just sell me a coke now, and left.

If those "registers" with the pictures of the food that tell the cashiers what to do won't take a lunch order until the internal clock says it's time - ok... maybe technology isn't such a good thing. If she was so intent on that 1 minute - then maybe standardization isn't a good thing...

I drove around the block to Jack in the Box and got a hamburger there. It wasn't worth waiting in line at McD's again.

Customer service IS out there - but this is also why we don't want our good LHS's to become large Corporate Style Conglomerates. And why mom and pop shops, like many that are discussed here, get such rave reviews from their customers for the personal service they provide.

Cash
Jun 21, 2001, 12:06 AM
I find that people who are secure in their jobs and work for companies that have little or no competition are least likely to extend common courtesy to those using their services.

Can anyone name such a company?????
Jun 21, 2001, 06:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by BillM:
I find that people who are secure in their jobs and work for companies that have little or no competition are least likely to extend common courtesy to those using their services.

Can anyone name such a company?????
I thought I just did

Relating my story about the post office to others at my work, it's amazing how many think the US Postal Service is a public sector business....

Steve

Jun 21, 2001, 11:34 PM
Steve

Thank You
Jun 22, 2001, 03:25 PM
Jun 22, 2001, 04:03 PM
A young and skinny Jack Nicholson in the film "Five Easy Pieces" asks the waitress for toast, she says its lunchtime & we only have toast at breakfast, he asks if the tuna salad sandwich comes on toasted bread, she says yes, he orders the sandwich, tells her to hold the tuna salad (between her knees) and cleans the dirty dishes off the table with a sweep of his arm, then beats a hasty retreat

Quick Reply